S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Brandon86

Trash Compacter
Feb 15, 2017
Could xou post some more pictures of the interiour? Where is ze internal psu?

Here you go. Internal PSU is at top right in first photo, bottom left in second. Please pardon my wiring mess. I'm not quite done with the build. I'm going to shorten/sleeve some wiring and then I'm going to install an internal antenna and a 4G LTE Modem so that it will have it's own internet and broadcast WiFi to others. That way I can have anybody join up and play online with me, plus I won't ever have to worry about plugging into internet or WiFi when out and about. Then probably buy a better internal SSD for all my games to be stored on. They're on an external Samsung T3 currently.

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
Trying to build with the silver version of S4 mini for the first time, but I find the screws to be really really tight to take apart.
I am now worried trying to force anything will damage the screws. I am using a large screw driver.
Any recommendation?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Trying to build with the silver version of S4 mini for the first time, but I find the screws to be really really tight to take apart.
I am now worried trying to force anything will damage the screws. I am using a large screw driver.
Any recommendation?

If you are using a normal sized screw driver with a longer shaft and 1" handle dont be afraid to press down on it to unscrew. If you can make really good contact you should be set.

I don't know why some of the screws get so tight after I send them out...it is very strange.

Reactions: Biowarejak

A415Hz

Trash Compacter
Feb 1, 2017
If you are using a normal sized screw driver with a longer shaft and 1" handle dont be afraid to press down on it to unscrew. If you can make really good contact you should be set.

I don't know why some of the screws get so tight after I send them out...it is very strange.

Thanks for the quick response. The screws themselves seem to have a little wider than the "+" shape around the center (by design?).
I am finding my driver's shape isn't exactly fitting to do the job without making the center of it larger, while still not taking them out.
I will stop by at a local hardware shop to seek for some help, maybe a new driver or better one may do the job.

kittysox

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 8, 2017
I tore up jack on mine trying to use an ifixit kit I grabbed at microcenter. Grabbed a p2 craftsman and all my problems went away. That ifixit kit is only really fit for the trash can.

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
I finally got all the parts and have assembled my system, however, I'm having some issues with noise/temps I'm hoping someone here can help me with.
  • Ryzen 1600X (stock speeds)
  • Noctua NH-L9a
  • Asrock x370
  • Evga gtx1060
  • Corsiar 32gb 3000mhz (under clocked to 2400)
  • Samsung 960 evo
  • Hdplex 400w + Dell 330w
It is near silent when idle, but it doesn't take much of a load for things to ramp up. At 10% CPU load its loud enough to hear from the room next door. If I start up an intensive game it ramps it up another level.

I haven't run a stress test or benchmark yet, and I'm having trouble getting temperature readings (linux 4.11.0-14). However even at this 10% load the case is very hot to the touch. I tried touching it once when I had a game running and it burnt my finger.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd get a fan control app and set a custom curve or do so in the BIOS if it supports it. I know on one of my recent motherboards the default BIOS fan profile was absurdly loud at stock.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
I finally got all the parts and have assembled my system, however, I'm having some issues with noise/temps I'm hoping someone here can help me with.
  • Ryzen 1600X (stock speeds)
  • Noctua NH-L9a
  • Asrock x370
  • Evga gtx1060
  • Corsiar 32gb 3000mhz (under clocked to 2400)
  • Samsung 960 evo
  • Hdplex 400w + Dell 330w
It is near silent when idle, but it doesn't take much of a load for things to ramp up. At 10% CPU load its loud enough to hear from the room next door. If I start up an intensive game it ramps it up another level.

I haven't run a stress test or benchmark yet, and I'm having trouble getting temperature readings (linux 4.11.0-14). However even at this 10% load the case is very hot to the touch. I tried touching it once when I had a game running and it burnt my finger.
can you post your setup photo? what component is giving most heat? cpu gpu or psu?
i read somewhere that without additional fans the case is only designed to handle 200W ish, 1600x is a 95W tdp part and 1060 is 120W with motherboard etc you're looking at almost 300W. you're gonna need case fans.

Reactions: nix

Illoominatty

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 14, 2017
I received an S4 mini in the mail with a slight bend on the wrap around side panel. I straightened it out pretty well but left with chips in the paint as predicted, due to the hardness of the paint used. Any ideas on how to fix this or any good paint products to re-do it altogether?

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Alright so I got my s4 mini yesterday. I spend part of the day modding it to my liking and now it is for the most part done. I am going to do another couple coats in a few days on the side panels just because I want to hide a mistake I made and then I am also going to tweak the corners on the front vent plate to look better. BUT I just wanted to give yall an update.

I used 1 can of matte black plastidip I got from walmart for 6 dollars to put 4 generous coats on each side of the panels. Basically 1 coat every half hour. My working area (2 chairs and a 4x4) was pretty low to the ground so I sprayed blindly at the bottom of one panel and got the nozzle too close which created a different texture than I want so I am going to spray over it soon, also some touch ups in some areas that must have been neglected on my part. (these are my mistakes lol)

I drilled holes in the s4 mini bezel, then made a rough cut with my jigsaw. I then spent some time with a couple files to get everything trimmed down and smooth. I covered the silver parts with brushed aluminum vinyl so you can't see a that through the ventplate. A word to anyone using a jigsaw, protect your s4 mini bezel from scuffs because the jigsaw will make some scuff marks as you slide it across the surface.

The vent plate is also wrapped in that black brushed aluminum vinyl. I would suggest if you do this, don't wrap the inside edges of the vent cutouts, just cut them off it will look just as good.

Gury's power solution fit nicely, a tight fit, but a good fit.

So yeah, everything fits well. I have the inside cable managed nicely. I did not include a pic of that. I will probably take pictures of the inside when I take the panels off again, and set it up on my desk correctly.

Cheers, thanks Josh!

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I received an S4 mini in the mail with a slight bend on the wrap around side panel. I straightened it out pretty well but left with chips in the paint as predicted, due to the hardness of the paint used. Any ideas on how to fix this or any good paint products to re-do it altogether?

This is heartbreaking. Did someone send you it without a box or something?

Reactions: Biowarejak