S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Did you happen to get a tracking notification email or did it just arrive? I ordered a day before you.

EVERYONE gets a tracking number.

...Unless I mess up.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I already have an s4 mini since february mate. Im only in queue for a bezel and a long switch, which is why Im just a bit curious about when these might be in circulation. Not in a hurry (maybe), just hungry for news ;)
I would assume the same time every else gets their bezel. Since they are all hand made it is cheapest for josh to order in bulk and do them all at once is my guess. But you never know. I believe the site said 1-2 weeks after the normal ones are shipping for the bezeled cases.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Did you happen to get a tracking notification email or did it just arrive? I ordered a day before you.

I got the email like 10 hours before it showed up on my doorstep. Shipping got it to me in 2 days. But i hadn't seen the email yet until it arrived. I checked it last night before i went to bed, no email, woke up today and the S4 is delivered.

Last edited:

Newty

Case Bender
New User
May 25, 2017
I'm expecting it to arrive soon. A couple months earlier than I thought!

It means I need to start planning my build, and I have a question: do I need to worry about RAM height for my planned Ryzen 5 using a Gigabyte AB350 board?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Just got mine in today, #440. The build quality is just impressive Josh, seeing it online really doesn't do it justice. Took me about 2 hours to complete my build, was able to cram my GTX 1080 similarly to Docs rare breed build. This took me by surprise how quickly.i got it, so I still have cables on the way from @royalba94

Can't wait to update the build log and show some actual pictures, while everything is put together the cable management is a bit of a mess. The slim noctua fan is doing a great job cooling my GPU, but the sucker can get loud.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Just got mine in today, #440. The build quality is just impressive Josh, seeing it online really doesn't do it justice. Took me about 2 hours to complete my build, was able to cram my GTX 1080 similarly to Docs rare breed build. This took me by surprise how quickly.i got it, so I still have cables on the way from @royalba94

Can't wait to update the build log and show some actual pictures, while everything is put together the cable management is a bit of a mess. The slim noctua fan is doing a great job cooling my GPU, but the sucker can get loud.
Your using a single noctua? Try to do a furmark and compare your temps to mine I wonder if it cools better.

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Your using a single noctua? Try to do a furmark and compare your temps to mine I wonder if it cools better.

So just did a fur mark stress test at 2560x1440, no AA, and after 10 minutes the card topped out at 86 degrees. One thing to keep in mind is that I have both ssds installed behind the GPU. I think adding a fan splitter, and placing a secondary fan behind the GPU, as well as doing a thermal pad mod for the back plate could drop temps a lot. But I'm fine with the temps.as they are, just might mod it that way in the future.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So just did a fur mark stress test at 2560x1440, no AA, and after 10 minutes the card topped out at 86 degrees. One thing to keep in mind is that I have both ssds installed behind the GPU. I think adding a fan splitter, and placing a secondary fan behind the GPU, as well as doing a thermal pad mod for the back plate could drop temps a lot. But I'm fine with the temps.as they are, just might mod it that way in the future.
If you look at the 1080 mini build video, Josh cracked open my 1080 mini and swapped the GPU's thermal paste with NTH1, maybe that'll help?

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
If you look at the 1080 mini build video, Josh cracked open my 1080 mini and swapped the GPU's thermal paste with NTH1, maybe that'll help?
I actually did that as well, but with Arctic Silver 5. I have NT-H1 on hand now, could try that instead. I am also interested in switching over to M.2 SSDs given that I have the Asus Z270i now.

Right now working more on the active cooling setup I have running on my HDPlex 300w ACDC. It has been performing well, but has been dropping out after 3 hours or so of Fallout 4 on max settings. Working on adding a second fan to that, to see how it's power limits increase.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I actually did that as well, but with Arctic Silver 5. I have NT-H1 on hand now, could try that instead. I am also interested in switching over to M.2 SSDs given that I have the Asus Z270i now.

Right now working more on the active cooling setup I have running on my HDPlex 300w ACDC. It has been performing well, but has been dropping out after 3 hours or so of Fallout 4 on max settings. Working on adding a second fan to that, to see how it's power limits increase.
Well i don think Josh noted any changes in the video cards temps when NTH1 was added. at least in the video he didnt mention temp changes, that I remember anyway.

Also, why are you using the HDPLEX-300 AC-DC? that the tiny brick? why not use the Dell 330?

Reactions: Biowarejak

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I am using grizzly kryonaut which is considered the best paste, but i think it is only 1-2C better than Noctua paste. I also have two 80mm fans on mine instead of one noctua. My temps max around 74-75C under furmark. Weirdly with the new hdplex i can manage an overclock on the card. Still got more testing to do to get it just right and to make sure it can handle spikes but i never have issues. i have had 8 hour gaming sessions in: overwatch, battlegrounds, black desert online, and ghost recon wildlands.

Let me know how placing a fan on the back side of the card does. I have nothing on the back of mine and i don't see how it would help that much but i could definitely be wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al Hoff

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I was thinking of going with an RX570, but decided to just spend the extra money for a gsync monitor and go 1080 mini with a ryzen 1600 cpu.

Speaking of 1080 mini's. How much did you all spend on your's? Is the current prices inflated because of bitcoin mining, or is that the normal price? ($620 USD)

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'm so happy that everyone in here is able to fit 1080 minis in there S4 Mini! Knowing that everyone else is enjoying them really makes my buyers remorse of buying one extremely early from Amazon at the price of like $720 and having it modded to had the shroud cut by Josh, this really makes it all not that big of a deal.... and makes me feel like it was totally worth it, if it was in the name of science and if it helps everyone else to be able to fit their cards without modifications. This is such a great feeling, I hope you guys enjoyed those 1080 minis in the best SFF chassis money can buy, IMO.

Reactions: K888D

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Same here but black switch. But I'm not American so shipping might take a while to get here.

Don't recall which batch I got in all I know is I ordered back in April...

Mine was sent with USPS Priority Mail International to Australia.... USPS's ETA is end of day Friday.... so from the time of this post that gives it roughly 20 hours to get to me... I think it's unlikely heh.