S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

FlipthatFlop

What's an ITX?
Jul 30, 2017
Hey has anyone completed their S4 Mini build with the new HDplex 400? I'm having some trouble with placement. It seems like its a bit harder to place than the old 330. Removing the heatsink is something I considered but wanted to hear what other people had to say first.

Reactions: Acalanata

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
Hey has anyone completed their S4 Mini build with the new HDplex 400? I'm having some trouble with placement. It seems like its a bit harder to place than the old 330. Removing the heatsink is something I considered but wanted to hear what other people had to say first.

I just removed the screws that attached to the bezel that were in it's way so it could lay completely flat against the front of the case, and used some mounting tape to secure it. I had heard that an adhesive thermal pad would work too, but I wasn't sure. I think Josh could actually mod the case for use with an HDPlex, but at the time I didn't know that was an option.

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
I just removed the screws that attached to the bezel that were in it's way so it could lay completely flat against the front of the case, and used some mounting tape to secure it. I had heard that an adhesive thermal pad would work too, but I wasn't sure. I think Josh could actually mod the case for use with an HDPlex, but at the time I didn't know that was an option.
I believe these mods were actually 2 strips of velcro but im not so sure XD

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

Guys, the HDPLEX 400 fits fine the S4 MINI, so don't worry! It actually fits better than the 250 and 300 due to the optimized layout. I've built several systems with it and have used the stock cables to make sure it all works. These were also built with the 1080, so I know that extra big cards work with it. Yes, there is an install order, and yes it is tricky, but it all fits AND LOOKS FANTASTIC.

Zero mods, all stock cables:

One thing to avoid is putting anything between the HDPLEX 400 and S4 MINI front. Velcro, double-sided tape, thermal padding, the two screws that are in the way...etc. You could use thermal paste if you wanted, but the HDPLEX 400 runs so cool even with a fully loaded system that this isn't necessary.

I made one video where I said you could put velcro down, but that is a mistake. I've now made a dozen posts saying don't use it, and a couple videos. I know I messed up here, but don't use it. The HDPLEX 250/300/400 is not going anywhere once you get done hooking up the cables.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that I have been so busy that I haven't had time to update my build video...but I do have footage on assembling and wiring a HDPLEX 400 system.

Thank you!

Craxas

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 10, 2016
Guys, the HDPLEX 400 fits fine the S4 MINI, so don't worry! It actually fits better than the 250 and 300 due to the optimized layout. I've built several systems with it and have used the stock cables to make sure it all works. These were also built with the 1080, so I know that extra big cards work with it. Yes, there is an install order, and yes it is tricky, but it all fits AND LOOKS FANTASTIC.

One thing to avoid is putting anything between the HDPLEX 400 and S4 MINI front. Velcro, double-sided tape, thermal padding, the two screws that are in the way...etc. You could use thermal paste if you wanted, but the HDPLEX 400 runs so cool even with a fully loaded system that this isn't necessary.

I made one video where I said you could put velcro down, but that is a mistake. I've now made a dozen posts saying don't use it, and a couple videos. I know I messed up here, but don't use it. The HDPLEX 250/300/400 is not going anywhere once you get done hooking up the cables.

I hope this helps. I'm sorry that I have been so busy that I haven't had time to update my build video...but I do have footage on assembling and wiring a HDPLEX 400 system.

Thank you!
Thanks for the clarification Josh! Mine stuck in place once I positioned it. Perhaps even so, I had a hard time removing it without taking out everything first lol. The header placement is just perfect and with custom length cables its even stiffer in place. Looking forward to that footage :p

Reactions: Biowarejak

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017

Thank you!

So we don't actually have to fix it in place at all? it's simply just hook it up and the cables will hold it in place? :eek:

PS also as for the placing of the CPU heat sink I have my system built right now out of case as I'm awaiting for the S4s arrival. I was wondering what way do you recommend the heat sink to blow out air?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So we don't actually have to fix it in place at all? it's simply just hook it up and the cables will hold it in place? :eek:

Very yes. It won't budge at all. It is a precise fit between the S4 MINI chassis inner rails, so it is impossible for it to move up or down. Properly installed, it will not slide left because of the power button, which leaves it only one direction it can go. Once you have the cables plugged in, you could lift the MINI by the HDPLEX and it wouldn't budge.

PS also as for the placing of the CPU heat sink I have my system built right now out of case as I'm awaiting for the S4s arrival. I was wondering what way do you recommend the heat sink to blow out air?

The Noctua appears to be square but it really isn't; so there is only one way you can put it in the Z270i, but I have seen some people put it in wrong and bend their fins.

Regardless, for the best performance you want the fins to run parallel with the RAM.

Peace

Last edited:

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@Josh | NFC I didn't think the rgb gskill fit in the case without modification O.O I guess another good question would be what's the height difference between the L9i and the ram kit

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
Very yes. It won't budge at all. It is a precise fit between the S4 MINI chassis inner rails, so it is impossible for it to move up or down. Properly installed, it will not slide left because of the power button, which leaves it only one direction it can go. Once you have the cables plugged in, you could lift the MINI by the HDPLEX and it wouldn't budge.

The Noctua appears to be square but it really isn't; so there is only one way you can put it in the Z270i, but I have seen some people put it in wrong and bend their fins.

Regardless, for the best performance you want the fins to run parallel with the RAM.

Peace

Many thanks Josh! I may have to re install the Noctua I'm not 100% I have it in correctly I have the solid silver bit just facing M.2 SSD slot on the ROG Strix however if that it installed incorrectly I'm not sure how I may have bent it it kind of slotted in quite easily.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Many thanks Josh! I may have to re install the Noctua I'm not 100% I have it in correctly I have the solid silver bit just facing M.2 SSD slot on the ROG Strix however if that it installed incorrectly I'm not sure how I may have bent it it kind of slotted in quite easily.

There is only one way it doesn't go in out of the 4 (on the STRIX) sorry for not being more specific:

Either way, you want the air to exit the heatsink parallel to the RAM--exactly like the picture above, but the OPPOSITE side, hehe.

Peace brother, and thank you very much for being an awesome customer.

Raybird

Chassis Packer
Jun 30, 2017
There is only one way it doesn't go in out of the 4 (on the STRIX) sorry for not being more specific:

Either way, you want the air to exit the heatsink parallel to the RAM--exactly like the picture above, but the OPPOSITE side, hehe.

Peace brother, and thank you very much for being an awesome customer.

Well I may have dun goofed... it just gone in so easily I'm confused now (sorry for being stupid XD ) it's like mid night here so I'll have to look at it tomorrow after work! damn and I thought it was going smoothly haha

Thank you Josh you have been nothing but a gent, I do very much appreciate your patience and the time you take to help out people like myself !

Reactions: AleksandarK

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
To clarify,

ALL
S4 MINIs that were just the original pre-order have shipped, in order.

If there is a mistake, please be kind and email me. I only check the forums when I am eating or in the bathroom....otherwise I am working on your stuff.

I am now working on all the orders where I need to craft inventory (bezels). I need to make more 2D Bezels because I ruined $250 of materials with a stupid, stupid mistake and am going to be caught up.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
To clarify,

ALL

If there is a mistake, please be kind and email me. I only check the forums when I am eating or in the bathroom....otherwise I am working on your stuff.

I am now working on all the orders where I need to craft inventory (bezels). I need to make more 2D Bezels because I ruined $250 of materials with a stupid, stupid mistake and am going to be caught up.

Ouch sorry to hear on the bezels, hope it doesn't put you out too much :(

Will the powder coat pre-orders be following after the bezel batch?

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
Hey guys, I got my s4 today and I have a problem... So my power switch that I ordered from primochill fit fine, or so i thought. What I didnt realize was I had bent the metal pieces when i moved it around my ram and to install the motherboard. My ground metal header attached to the switch itself broke, anyone know how to fix this with limited knowledge of soldering and such?

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Hey guys, I got my s4 today and I have a problem... So my power switch that I ordered from primochill fit fine, or so i thought. What I didnt realize was I had bent the metal pieces when i moved it around my ram and to install the motherboard. My ground metal header attached to the switch itself broke, anyone know how to fix this with limited knowledge of soldering and such?

If you don't know how to solder is back together, you'll likely have to buy a new one. Luckily the switches are pretty cheap.

dizzle

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 11, 2017
To clarify,

ALL

Is that including the people who got the powdercoating?