S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

I really like the idea of those case feet. Josh, have you ever thought of having differently styled/shaped feet? Like these:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WFQTN2/?tag=theminutiae-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017WFQQLC/?tag=theminutiae-20

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Reactions: CubanLegend

EM98xXkillerXx

Caliper Novice
Jun 6, 2016
Hey guys, if I get the NH-L9a, would a slim 120mm fan fit over the top of it and clear the side panel if I took off the stock noctua fan? And would it fit on the fan bracket thats included with the s4? I kinda just realized how stupid I was thinking the c7 would fit... soooo I need to get a new cooler

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hey guys, if I get the NH-L9a, would a slim 120mm fan fit over the top of it and clear the side panel if I took off the stock noctua fan? And would it fit on the fan bracket thats included with the s4? I kinda just realized how stupid I was thinking the c7 would fit... soooo I need to get a new cooler
It depends on how thick a 120mm fan is. A 25mm I don't think so but a slim would work fine. And yes it fits with the fan bracket that is included.

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Not sure why the feet need to be so pointy.
Maybe offer optional rubber "mini domes" to cover the pointy tip like in this pic:

As for the wooden bezels...not my cup of tea, a bit of a frankenstein...proof that two beautifully crafted things don't necessarily go together...

Great to hear about the other updates (screws). And wow the slim Noctuas finally.

The next step I'd like to see is a "all inside" version with included internal passive AC/DC (think "HDplex 160W AC-DC w/PFC", but maybe even slightly larger with 220W but smaller than the existing 300W one) fixed with screws and thermally paired to the case, pre-cabled to a IEC C-something power socket on the back of the case. Plus a suitable DC-DC. And with a power button already mounted on the front. This would be a real "bring your own mobo-cpu-gpu" type of case, for less tinker-inclined guys and for people refusing to use an external power brick. Fact is S4 MINIs already fly off the shelves as they are, there's little reason to create this kind of "dumbed down" version for the time being. It's like asking Nintendo to add goodies and accessories to the SNES Classic Mini. Still, eventually...

Reactions: MrBreakfst

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Not sure why the feet need to be so pointy.
Maybe offer optional rubber "mini domes" to cover the pointy tip like in this pic:

As for the wooden bezels...not my cup of tea, a bit of a frankenstein...proof that two beautifully crafted things don't necessarily go together...

Great to hear about the other updates (screws). And wow the slim Noctuas finally.

The next step I'd like to see is a "all inside" version with included internal passive AC/DC (think "HDplex 160W AC-DC w/PFC", but maybe even slightly larger with 220W but smaller than the existing 300W one) fixed with screws and thermally paired to the case, pre-cabled to a IEC C-something power socket on the back of the case. Plus a suitable DC-DC. And with a power button already mounted on the front. This would be a real "bring your own mobo-cpu-gpu" type of case, for less tinker-inclined guys and for people refusing to use an external power brick. Fact is S4 MINIs already fly off the shelves as they are, there's little reason to create this kind of "dumbed down" version for the time being. It's like asking Nintendo to add goodies and accessories to the SNES Classic Mini. Still, eventually...

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I gotta give it to you Josh. Too funny and too kind.

I myself would be telling people if you don't like what I offer don't buy it. Seriously people if you want rubber feet just buy it yourselves. I think the feet offered look great and it's not like you are forced to get them. If you want rubber feet throw a thick coat of plasti dip and call it a day. That's another thing you can do with the all metal version is you can paint it to match easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
I gotta give it to you Josh. Too funny and too kind.

I myself would be telling people if you don't like what I offer don't buy it. Seriously people if you want rubber feet just buy it yourselves. I think the feet offered look great and it's not like you are forced to get them. If you want rubber feet throw a thick coat of plasti dip and call it a day. That's another thing you can do with the all metal version is you can paint it to match easier. People are:

So uncalled for.
This is, like, a forum where people share impressions and ideas.

It's not like he isn't in the business of providing niche customizations for the S4 MINI, just check out the shop.

If he wanna order a box of 100k feet domes of the perfect size and shape from a chinese supplier, the better, it's not like they take supply space or require a big investment. If not, not a huge deal anyway. Simple as that. Just throwing ideas around.

nix

Trash Compacter
Jan 5, 2017
Last edited:

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
The "dumbed down version" was referring to MY proposal of a ready-to-build barebone S4 MINI with pre-built psu+dc-dc+front_button. Not to the "v2" from NFC.

I should preface I'm not a native English speaker.

Last edited by a moderator:

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
Translation: A new case similar to the S4 Mini but with an internal AC-DC and DC-DC included would make for an easy to build system right out of the box. This would appeal to people interested in SFF but not the perceived difficulty of component selection. This novice friendly or "dumbed down" case could lower the barrier to entry. But the S4 Mini was made with a strong vision and fills a particular niche very well. It's not for everyone and there are other case options for internal PSUs, but maybe something in the spirit of the S4 Mini is more attractive to all-in.

I don't neccessarily agree with this, but that was my level-headed interpretation!

Not a new case, exatcly the same case. No added complexity to logistics and manufacturing. The 160W AC-DC internal brick from HDplex already fits with no big sacrifice, it's not a huge stretch to imagine a 220W model. Add some screwholes/stands/something and a thermal pad to maximize heat transfer from the AC-DC to the metal case.

It's not like there are tens of quality options for PSU in the pico/nano space, wouldn't be so weird for NFC to pick a recomended setup for users "under 220W" and offer it pre-built-in for users willing to pay for the convenience.

Not sure how having that option on the shop (and an internal "mounting area" for the AC-DC, instead of letting users resort to velcro or something) would taint the "niche" spirit of the S4 Mini project for everybody else..

Last edited:

all-in

Average Stuffer
Feb 20, 2017
That could work if you're okay with either a low profile GTX 1050 Ti or a short RX 560. You could squeeze in the AC-DC unit above or in front of the GPU. However, this might be too limiting for most people looking for at least a 1060/1070 class GPU. I think the other problem is the lack of standard mounting holes (the HD-PLEX units have changed with every release). I don't see an ideal solution... maybe designing a sightly larger case to reduce GPU/PSU conflict and maybe maintaining a collection of continuously updated PSU mounting brackets.

Yes I'm assuming short cards, I consider it a given for internal psu builds with the current S4.

Mounting standards wouldn't be an issue if the psu is bundled with this "ready to build" version of the S4. Maybe the psu could be a custom unit from a partnership between NFC and HDplex. It should be midway between the current 160W and 300W (too big), with an emphasis on being thin. A recess for the psu in a dedicated 3D bezel (unfortunately not heat conductive) could be mandatory or just optional to allow for longer GPUs.

This would be a real "drop-in" (and impulse-buy ready) console sized case with no external power brick...

As for short cards, with stacked memory there's not better time than now to be into short GPUs...the future looks bright..