S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

RenG

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 17, 2016
But why that RAM?? Maybe they can get the cover on with the light bars removed...?

Wish they make a low profile dominitor platinum rams so it will fit the S4 mini.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
That sort of defeats their stated purpose of having an extra large PCB to dissipate the heat. If anything, I wish they would go back to the removable fin design of the Dominator GT where you can then look at alternatives for conducting away heat. I have found a good alternative that I will post about, once it has been fulfilled.

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
But why that RAM?? Maybe they can get the cover on with the light bars removed...?

Wait a minute guys... we know thats a 1080 Mini in there... but they're running it with the ORIGINAL Wrap Around Bezel!!!! They MUST have modded the 1080 mini to get it to fit. Mine had to be to fit EVEN WITH THE MODDED 5mm Acrylic bezel that has the GPU cutout... This original Bezel DOESNT HAVE THE CUTOUT. this means 2 things:
1. they HAVE to have cut or chopped up that 1080 mini
2. if they report temperature numbers, their mini is going to FRY (or at least show temps that are unrealistically higher than they should be), because the front bezel GPU vent expels quite a bit of air.

LTT is either really crazy and excited to fit a 1080 in an S4 Mini, or they're not thinking this through well enough... hmmm.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Wait a minute guys... we know thats a 1080 Mini in there... but they're running it with the ORIGINAL Wrap Around Bezel!!!! They MUST have modded the 1080 mini to get it to fit. Mine had to be to fit EVEN WITH THE MODDED 5mm Acrylic bezel that has the GPU cutout... This original Bezel DOESNT HAVE THE CUTOUT. this means 2 things:
1. they HAVE to have cut or chopped up that 1080 mini
2. if they report temperature numbers, their mini is going to FRY (or at least show temps that are unrealistically higher than they should be), because the front bezel GPU vent expels quite a bit of air.

LTT is either really crazy and excited to fit a 1080 in an S4 Mini, or they're not thinking this through well enough... hmmm.
They posted an image on Instagram a couple of days ago where it looked like they were trimming down the heatsink with a Dremel type device

Edit:

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
They posted an image on Instagram a couple of days ago where it looked like they were trimming down the heatsink with a Dremel type device
I saw that but I dont think we could confirm that it was the 1080 mini... HMMM Anyone have any comparison pics?

Okay so i looked at it, YUP thats the 1080 mini heatsink.I compared it to a part in Josh's video where he took off my 1080 mini's heatsink to look at the card. :D Thanks for that @Josh | NFC ! :)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
They could have also used a slim 120mm fan in place of the stock fans, too. @Josh | NFC has done that on his builds and so have other people with their S4 Mini's.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
They could have also used a slim 120mm fan in place of the stock fans, too. @Josh | NFC has done that on his builds and so have other people with their S4 Mini's.
I have seen this but for some reason i thought it didn't cool so well with just the scthe fan. I could be wrong but i thought they hit thermal limits after 10-20 minutes.

Last edited:

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
dang i am corrected then. I myself would never do that to a gtx 1080 mini. Maybe if a replacement shroud was cheapish i would.

weird question has anyone tried this https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/accelero-mono-plus.html with the s4 mini and a gpu. I wonder if i could use this instead and keep the front bezel for the s4 mini

Check out the Catz thread, 19 page in, @Grafite has used this on his 1080 mini, I think he's still waiting on some proper thermal goop though. It's about 51mm high, I wonder what the max GPU cooler height is in the S4 Mini?

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Check out the Catz thread, 19 page in, @Grafite has used this on his 1080 mini, I think he's still waiting on some proper thermal goop though. It's about 51mm high, I wonder what the max GPU cooler height is in the S4 Mini?
I just tried it out the height was a tight fit but that wasn't the issue. It is a 140mm fan and doesn't fit with the motherboard in. So it is a no go. I am now trying just removing the shield and testing it with a slim primotech fan.

Last edited:
Reactions: br3nd0

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I think using a 120mm fan depends very strongly on the cooler you are using. With some cards it is abysmal. I have found that dual 92 slims is amazing, but you need to make your own bracket.

You are probably better off using your stock cooler than removing the fans and using a 120. I put that mount there for capture cards that need airflow but don't have active cooling.

Peace

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
I think using a 120mm fan depends very strongly on the cooler you are using. With some cards it is abysmal. I have found that dual 92 slims is amazing, but you need to make your own bracket.

You are probably better off using your stock cooler than removing the fans and using a 120. I put that mount there for capture cards that need airflow but don't have active cooling.

Peace
Sounds like josh may have another accessory to sell with an S4 mini. Dual 92mm fan mount.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I just sold my car to purchase an S4 Mini guys.. PREORDERS are OPEN YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!
He's right guys. http://nfc-systems.com/shop/s4-mini-chassis

Josh holy crap, you opened September Preorders!? :D Preparing for that surge of LTT viewers/customers, you deserve every one of them! :) I hope you dont get TOO swamped or stressed dealing with the July batch and this new September batch at the same time. But as the entrepreneur you are, I'm sure you probably agree with the saying that "you can sleep when you're dead." ;)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
He's right guys. http://nfc-systems.com/shop/s4-mini-chassis

Josh holy crap, you opened September Preorders!? :D Preparing for that surge of LTT viewers/customers, you deserve every one of them! :) I hope you dont get TOO swamped or stressed dealing with the July batch and this new September batch at the same time. But as the entrepreneur you are, I'm sure you probably agree with the saying that "you can sleep when you're dead." ;)

I'm going to need y'alls help actually.

I have sixty trillion things to do for Computex and stuff before I leave for a week and a half on Friday... I will NOT be answering emails or forums pms or anything during this time. (Ok I might, but it should not be expected).

They aren't exactly pre-orders as I am only selling the units I ordered from before, so they are very limited. The timing is too bad for me to open up true pre-orders from any views I get from LTT, unfortunately. I don't think I have time to do any more S4 MINI runs for the rest of this year, so this is it.

I didn't want to offer these for sale until I had shipped out the first wave (which is expected to get here the very end of June, maybe early July) but I get too many emails a day asking when they can order and with me being gone I thought this might help. I think it is backfired though because there are a billion emails now asking questions this morning. XD I love answering questions, I just don't have time to finish this week and I AM SORRY!!!!

So if you could let people know why I am quiet, and answer questions (you guys are experts on this case) that would be amazing. I super appreciate you all very very much.

Peace!!!!!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I'm going to need y'alls help actually.

I have sixty trillion things to do for Computex and stuff before I leave for a week and a half on Friday... I will NOT be answering emails or forums pms or anything during this time. (Ok I might, but it should not be expected).

They aren't exactly pre-orders as I am only selling the units I ordered from before, so they are very limited. The timing is too bad for me to open up true pre-orders from any views I get from LTT, unfortunately. I don't think I have time to do any more S4 MINI runs for the rest of this year, so this is it.

I didn't want to offer these for sale until I had shipped out the first wave (which is expected to get here the very end of June, maybe early July) but I get too many emails a day asking when they can order and with me being gone I thought this might help. I think it is backfired though because there are a billion emails now asking questions this morning. XD I love answering questions, I just don't have time to finish this week and I AM SORRY!!!!

So if you could let people know why I am quiet, and answer questions (you guys are experts on this case) that would be amazing. I super appreciate you all very very much.

Peace!!!!!
Computex? Nice, hope you have fun!

And yes no problem about helping with questions in here. I'll keep my eye on this thread, (as i do anyways) for questions. You should direct them to here with a link or something. :)

Reactions: VegetableStu

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
This makes me think we should have a support forum here where community member's cases can have support threads for exactly this purpose.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
This makes me think we should have a support forum here where community member's cases can have support threads for exactly this purpose.
This is a good idea actually. I know I have answered a ton of questions in the g unique thread. Plus I have found so much more information through this thread than even asking questions. Kinda hard going through 140 pages though and find something.

stevey500

Trash Compacter
Feb 16, 2017
That was my exact thoughts on the 1080 mini, just chop up the heatsink and roll with it. I did already ask Zotac if they'd ever ship me a replacement heatsink for the 1080 mini, they flat out told me no. Lame.