Reactions: winterfart1

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just a notice to everyone - the video link has already been posted on a previous page. I've just cleaned out all the other versions. We don't need it re-linked numerous times :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Congrats Josh on getting featured on LTT !!

Side note, will it be possible to add a custom bezel for longer cards like the zotac gtx 1080? so that people like me dont have to machine off that precious card. (like what u did in one of your videos too)

Mod: Removed video that's already been linked a few times.
@winterfart1 go to the NFC shop and order a 2d bezel open and order the separate vent plate. It will fit the zotac 1080 mini without any mods. If you watch his most recent video linked above from the NFC youtube channel he is working on a 3d bezel that comes as one piece, but it isn't released yet. Here is the link to the shop.

http://nfc-systems.com/shop/

Edit: for better clarification on what is needed

Last edited:
Reactions: winterfart1

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Anyone know temps for a 1080 Mini with a 7700K? How would it change if Ryzen 7 was included instead?

LTT's build in their video (released within the last 24 hours!) is an example build with a 7700K (they originally put a 7700T, I think, but their benchmarks are with a 7700K), and I think @CubanLegend is a user here who has a 7700K in their build. There are probably others.

I tried asking if anyone's given Ryzen a shot in the S4 Mini, but I think we'll probably have to wait a month or so to see that happen. So far only one ITX AM4 board has manifested. I suspect Ryzen will work fine (probably without crazy overclocking) if we can get a decent cooler that works with AM4--I haven't checked into that personally.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Dammit, repost. sorry

EDIT: Holy crap the RAM workaround design on their part though

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Anyone know temps for a 1080 Mini with a 7700K? How would it change if Ryzen 7 was included instead?
in fact key point is not temperature, it's noise...:) S4 mini is able to handle GTX 1080 (like R9 nano in my past setup) and core i7 6700K with no throttling, but it's noisy..:D

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Congrats Josh on getting featured on LTT !!

Side note, will it be possible to add a custom bezel for longer cards like the zotac gtx 1080? so that people like me dont have to machine off that precious card. (like what u did in one of your videos too)

Mod: Removed video that's already been linked a few times.
Already been answered before. But i think i should post a link and notice or Quick-Tip Guide here as well. The Latest video Josh posted was an UPDATE for the September S4 Mini Preorders. But the 2nd half of the video breaks down all the bezel options for the S4 Mini. Check this out: S4 Mini Bezel options explanation at 2m30s in this video

There's currently:
  • Flat 2D bezel with vents = works for 1070 mini and smaller cards (without modding the card)
  • Flat 2D bezel with GPU cutout (7mm) = works for 1080 mini and smaller (without modding the card)
  • 3D bezel with GPU vents = works with 1080 mini and smaller (without modding the card) This one isn't available now but should be available later.
The 2d bezels come in 2 finishes according to the Sale Page, Clear or Frosted. And in Josh's above video there's even a Smokey-styled acrylic too? Nice! And there's a vented cover you can buy for the 2D bezel with the GPU cutout, to cover it up nicely. The 3D bezel is like a hybrid of the two 2D Bezels, it's one solid peice of acrylic incorporating the GPU cutout and the vented cover. (I hope all that it correct)

Pretty sure the 3D bezel does exactly that. If you look at the Acrylic Ant-man build log by @CubanLegend you can see it in all of its glory.
Thanks! But I dont exactly have the 3D bezel, I have a BETA/early 2D Bezel with the GPU cutout and a vented cover for the cutout, and my bezel was 5mm instead of the current 7mm. :) The 3D bezel is like a hybrid of the two 2D Bezels, as one solid peice of acrylic mixing the GPU cutout and the vented cover.

check my Build Log link in my Signature, and check the first post of that build fow where to find my test tests in that thread. My temps have dropped even lower than that though. Since I have my 1080mini on adaptive power it idles between 30-35c the 7700k idles at 35-39c,
Temp Results:
CPU Cooling used: Thermolab LP53 & NF-A9-14xPWM
CPU: 4.5GHz, 35/36c idle, 70-78c +/- while gaming
GPU: +200 Core (~2080MHz w/GPUBoost3) & +1GHZ Memory (11GHz effective) 120% power target, 35c idle, max 72c gaming
and with my 1080mini BIOS Modded for a lower fan curve the 1080mini is quieter than the SSDs in my system. XD @MarcParis is right about the issue being sound. the S4 can handle temps amazingly if you have the right CPU cooler and GPU fan curve, it then becomes a game to see how quiet you can make it. :D

Last edited:

FF48

Cable Smoosher
May 18, 2017
Hey there! This is my first post and im wondering what are the customs/duties/import fees in canada for the s4mini+riser+on-off switch approx. 290$us
Thanks in advance

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It should just be tax. So depending on the Province you are in GST (7%) + PST (if any).

Reactions: FF48

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/guide-eng.html

Take the value in the currency indicated on the invoice. Convert the value into Canadian dollars using the exchange rate from the date of direct shipment (the date the goods began their direct and continuous journey to a specific destination in Canada). To obtain the proper exchange rate, call the Border Information Service (BIS).

The following is an example of a calculation of customs duty and GST on imported goods with a value for currency conversion of US$100. The example exchange rate is US$1 = CAN$1.15. The goods are subject to 4% customs duty and 5% GST:

Example:
US$100 x 1.15 = CAN$115 (value for duty)

$115.00 (value for duty) x 4% (customs duty rate) = $4.60 (customs duty)

$115.00 (value for duty) + $4.60 (customs duty) = $119.60 (value for tax)

$119.60 x 5% (GST) = $5.98 (GST)

Total of customs duty and GST payable (in Canadian dollars) is $4.60 + $5.98 = $10.58

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
So is that noctua nh l9i the best cooler for this case if using an i7 6 or 7700k. Is it solid enough to keep cool a 10-15% overclock?

Also I'm definitely looking forward to that 3d frosted bezel!

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
L9i is definitely the best cooler for this case as endorsed by Josh himself. As far as keeping a 10-15% overclock on say a 7700K, it'll probably be toasty but within spec.

Reactions: Al Hoff

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
So is that noctua nh l9i the best cooler for this case if using an i7 6 or 7700k. Is it solid enough to keep cool a 10-15% overclock?

Also I'm definitely looking forward to that 3d frosted bezel!
There are other cpu coolers you can use if you don't mind making adjustments. The lp53 with a noctua fan performs the best but takes a little elbow grease to work it out. It also take two separate purchases. But stock it is definitely the noctua. You most likely can hit a 10-15% oc but a delid may be necessary since the 7700k runs so dang hot.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
When I used Paypal for a payment to Li Heat in Taiwan, it was very straight forward, just adding a few percentage to the charge, and that was it.

Al Hoff

Average Stuffer
Feb 25, 2017
Thanks for the response guys. I suppose I should ask a few more questions and opinions while I'm here ;)

The HDPlex 300W HiFi comes with the power cable to mount and connect to the external power brick right?

And I tried digging through a few... dozen.. pages on this thread but what does everyone do for cabling to components? Make their own or buy some short stuff? Any recommendations on that part would be groovy :thumb:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
The HDPlex 300W HiFi comes with the power cable to mount and connect to the external power brick right?

And I tried digging through a few... dozen.. pages on this thread but what does everyone do for cabling to components? Make their own or buy some short stuff? Any recommendations on that part would be groovy :thumb:

You will probably want to look into custom lengths for the cables, but the ones that do come with the HDPlex can fit by smushing them in. Cables are visible, so if you care about looks, that should be a consideration, as well.