S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I only paid 240 for my 6700T that's why I got that one. I was going to get a 7700T but the price is what got me for sure. I found at least with my games that my i5 7600 65w chip didn't play as nice with certain games (i.e. cpu demanding titles.). I actually get higher frame rates inside GTA V and Battlefield 3,4,1. If you play less demanding games then sure lesser CPU is fine but this 6700T chews though anything I throw at it with ease and I can say I am very happy going the i7 route instead of keeping the i5.
I thiink for now I'm going to just stick with the 3570K until the noise bothers me or something, right now with the side panel off, the 1060 is the loudest part of the system, we'll see if that changes once I get my G-unique in and can put my side panel on.
I had a little while today where I thought I could get away with a BCLK OC on the 6700T, but the more I look around the more I think that got patched away. :'(

DJH

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2017
I wish I could custom mod for the corsair h5 sf cooler or something. From a fluid/heat transfer aspect, however, I can see why a feasible AIO cooling solution for the s4 could be out of the question for a while. Still, it'd be pretty nice to eject cpu heat directly out the side/top of the chassis (depending on orientation of course)

ngriesdo

Cable-Tie Ninja
Feb 15, 2017
I thiink for now I'm going to just stick with the 3570K until the noise bothers me or something, right now with the side panel off, the 1060 is the loudest part of the system, we'll see if that changes once I get my G-unique in and can put my side panel on.
I had a little while today where I thought I could get away with a BCLK OC on the 6700T, but the more I look around the more I think that got patched away. :'(
What 1060 are you using? Mine is the EVGA version, and the stock fan profile is ridiculously loud imo. I have mine set to a custom curve and it runs at no higher then 41% fan speed. I get between 68-75c with that fan curve depending on the games, and before on the stock I got between 62-66c so the temps did go up at the cost of noise.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
What 1060 are you using? Mine is the EVGA version, and the stock fan profile is ridiculously loud imo. I have mine set to a custom curve and it runs at no higher then 41% fan speed. I get between 68-75c with that fan curve depending on the games, and before on the stock I got between 62-66c so the temps did go up at the cost of noise.
It's a EVGA 1060 SC, could you post your fan curve?
I've just been lazy and not done my own, but if you have one that works well I'd love to use it. :)

limaalpha0hacii

Chassis Packer
Feb 1, 2017
I only paid 240 for my 6700T that's why I got that one. I was going to get a 7700T but the price is what got me for sure. I found at least with my games that my i5 7600 65w chip didn't play as nice with certain games (i.e. cpu demanding titles.). I actually get higher frame rates inside GTA V and Battlefield 3,4,1. If you play less demanding games then sure lesser CPU is fine but this 6700T chews though anything I throw at it with ease and I can say I am very happy going the i7 route instead of keeping the i5.
My local Microcenter has 10+ i5-7600k in stock for only $200. I'm planning on getting the CPU, a HDPlex 300w and an AsRock z270 itx/ac so i can play around with core clocks and voltage. What psu do you use?

Reactions: Curiosity

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Switched back to the NHl9i after using the LP53 for several weeks.

Wow...it is so nice to work in peace and quiet! XD
So did you run it with the stock NHL9i's fan? was it running hotter than the NHL9i and thus running the fan at higher RPMs? How were your temps with it, higher or lower, and by how many degrees? I haven't gotten mine in to test on my Z270i STRIX yet.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So a user on the [H] forums did some tests of the LP53 in the Z270i STRIX motherboard with the fins perpenticular to the RAM, BUT the twist is he removed the rear I/O's VRM heatsink and the rear I/O panel, the test of removing that rear I/O VRM heatsink... dropped his core temps by 10c and eliminated the CPU's throttling at high temps! :D He also noted that having the Rear I/O panel removed would allow CPU heat to escape more easily and keep temps down when the installed CPU Heatsink's fins are perpendicular to the RAM. EDIT: Then the user also seemingly had the same CPU coretemp drops from within the DAN A4 case:
Something to note: I think the orientation of the heatpipes themselves is important, in addition to fin direction. Once in the case and with the heatpipe bends of the LP53 at the bottom of the case, fins facing out the IO panel, I am noticing a further improvement in temperature. About 10c lower at idle vs open air and Max temp of Prime95 went down to 86c in the case, from 91c in open air! And that 86c was a singular spike, the average was more like 84c. So this matches conventional wisdom that fin orientation and heat pipe direction are both important, and wth the LP53 I think you can get away with the fin orientation facing the RAM so long as they can exhaust out in at least one direction, if the heatpipes are at the bottom of the case.

He is going to attempt to re-seat the LP53 with the fins parallel to the RAM, but he might have to remove the Z270i's Wifi card enclosure in addition to the rear I/O heatsink, as he believes doing so will allow the LP53's heatpipes to fit by the Rear I/O. I havent recieved mine yet... BUT!

Seeing this user gain a temp decrease from removing the Rear I/O VRM and the rear I/O panel... from inside the Dan A4 case, this was a lightbulb moment for me. I had never thought to do this, but apparently people in the DAN A4 community have been doing this and turning out positive results! So here's my thought, I'm going to test this out on my current NHL9i, as it sits now, its installed with the fins parallel to the RAM... BUT I'll retest coretemps with the addition of removing the Z270i STRIX's TOP VRM heatsink (by the 8-pin CPU power) as it's blocking one end of the NHL9i fins... and seeing how it's removal affects CPU core temps at idle and at load (and praying for a significant temp drop) at 4.8GHz OC, stock vcore on my 7700k. :D All of these tests will be conducted from within the S4 mini. And if anyone has any questions about the safety and if the 8-phase power MOSFETS/VRMs will be able to run at or below peak/warning operating temps, I found some research on reddit here in a post where someone was asking about removing the VRM heatsinks on their Z270i STRIX board. According to that thread on reddit, the VRMs should be fine when running under 120c, and according to the mobo intro part of [H]ardOCP's review of the Z270i STRIX, the VRMs were running at a cool 100-105c with the VRM heatsinks on top, so the Z270i should be fine if I take them off, as long as I don't OC. :)

Also, once my LP53 arrives, I'll be testing it out with as many orientation configurations as possible, trying to find the best one that can outperform the NHL9i... both coolers using the NF-A9x14 with the same fan curve I've used this whole time during my temp tests.

Last edited:

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com

After months of planning and waiting, the build is officially done.
Introducing: Castle Black

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/bvG3M8

ragnarok666

Case Bender
Feb 12, 2017
Has anyone ever tried mounting 4x 3.5" drives in the graphic card side? I am still thinking what will be the perfect config for my S4 to replace my laptop. As a portable gaming system I also have the DANA4, so I am now thinking of using the S4 as a media center with lots of storage. Does anybody have a good recommendation how to achieve that? My whish would be to somehow get 4x 10tb drives in. I know 2x should fit easily, but then there would be so much wasted space :-) Maybe use it for an internal brick? Any recommendation is welcome.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Pretty expensive NAS case. I haven't seen anyone try it, and I presume this would be why.