S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I assumed that there would not be clearence to keep the normal GPU fans mounted, all builds i have seen with the Zotac 1070/1080, that did not require modding to the case, has had the shroud and fans removed. I would be very interested in hearing other experiences regarding this and whether it is possible to do.

Yup. The endmost fan on the 1080 mini sneaks past the heatsink by a tad. I agree though, if you can keep the fans through modding do so--the performance will be much better than the single 120.

Reactions: spintje

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I'm curious, if you were to replace the VRM heatsink with a low-profile finned one, would that allow for the LP53 to rotate 90 degrees then?

We possibly need to petition Noctua to make an all-copper version of the NH-L9a/i.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey @Josh | NFC , have you only tested the LP53 on the STRIX so far? I don't think my board's VRM heatsinks would be as much of an obstacle.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm curious, if you were to replace the VRM heatsink with a low-profile finned one, would that allow for the LP53 to rotate 90 degrees then?

We possibly need to petition Noctua to make an all-copper version of the NH-L9a/i.

It would have to be very low profile. The cooler's pipes already put pressure on the M.2 heatsink.

Hey @Josh | NFC , have you only tested the LP53 on the STRIX so far? I don't think my board's VRM heatsinks would be as much of an obstacle.

I think most of ASUS' high end boards will have fitment issues. Really any MITX boards with heatsinks, and even some ATX ones. I have some cheap boards on the way I will be testing it with, but at this point I'm not holding my breath. Again, for me, it isn't just about raw performance. I want an easy, safe mounting solution (fan and board), a good fan included, nice finish, etc. It all matters for me.

Peace

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I assumed that there would not be clearence to keep the normal GPU fans mounted, all builds i have seen with the Zotac 1070/1080, that did not require modding to the case, has had the shroud and fans removed. I would be very interested in hearing other experiences regarding this and whether it is possible to do.
thats odd, my 1080 mini only had the shroud cut a little bit but the shroud and stock fans will now fit with the new 7mm acrylic bezel in Josh's store.
I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, but I wanted to give some quick thoughts on the LP53 after a customer generously allowed
me to test it out over the past week.

I've been using it on the ASUS Z270i STRIX with a 7700K, and although I think it is a good cooler that could be good with certain motherboard configurations, I would not personally use this cooler with the STRIX and S4 MINI or recommend it if asked.

1. The mounting "solution" is one of the worst I have seen. It does not have the precision of the Noctua solution but implements the method, and without the precision or a backplate this is potentially dangerous.

2. The cooler's size is a bit unwieldly for the STRIX, which means the only position that fits without bending the adjacent heatsinks off their componentry is perpendicular to the RAM, which no only blocks air from escaping the fins, but can cause premature failure to the first RAM module.

3. The included fan is an acceptable performer, but is not S4 MINI compatible, so a new fan would need to be purchased, further increasing this cooler's cost. Obviously it is not as quiet as some higher end fans but it's size allows it to be run at lower speeds due to the pressure the blades can generate.

4. Fit, finish, and packaging are not even in the same category as the NHl9i. I am not concerned with this as some people, but it bears noting based on the price.

5. The performance at PART TEMP is not as wide in my tests as some tests I have seen on the internet. I believe this has to do with the STRIX and it's very tight fitment with this cooler and the orientation/fin direction required. I plan on doing much better testing at the end of this week, but in light of all the factors I will not be making a video to cover this cooler, as yet again, I do not think it has the chops to be a replacement for the NH-l9i. If the performance for my last tests blows me away, then I will reconsider.

Dang!... now I'm really hoping the test you make turns out positive. I sure hope it beats out the NH-L9i, for my sake lol. Please let us know if you dare to figure out how to mount it with the fins parallel to the RAM. ;)

yeah, the fit is really tight and it will only fit in one direction. I think that is the reason for the differences in temps for you Josh, because both "open" sides are blocked through RAM or VRM heatsink, so air cant escape
Yup thats what i think too... there's just SO MUCH OPEN SPACE on the STRIX x270i board right above the M.2, it's such a shame we can't take advantage of it and have the fins face that empty area and spit the hot air out in that direction. :(

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
Does someone know a good alternative for the S4 Mini Riser? I'm from Germany and shipping the S4 riser to me is at the same cost as the riser itself =/

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com
@CubanLegend if i remove the shroud is there any way i can keep the stock fans on the heatsink? At least i have not seen a way yet. My plan would be too remove the shroud and fans, buy a pwm adapter and use a 120mm silm fan to cool to 1080 mini.
I wasn't a fan (pun intended) of the temps when I removed the shroud for a 120mm. Hit 85 C pretty fast. With the fans and shroud I never get above 75C and I absolutely love it.

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
@CubanLegend you're missing the point that i dont want to change the original S4 design by adding a bezel. So i am looking to fit as powerful a GPU into the stock S4 Mini and from what i've read so far, in order to do that i have to remove the shroud and fans in order to do so. But please correct me if i am wrong on this :)

@BrainTaste would you mind posting some pics of what your setup looks like now? Have you modded your case in any way?

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@CubanLegend you're missing the point that i dont want to change the original S4 design by adding a bezel. So i am looking to fit as powerful a GPU into the stock S4 Mini and from what i've read so far, in order to do that i have to remove the shroud and fans in order to do so. But please correct me if i am wrong on this :)

@BrainTaste would you mind posting some pics of what your setup looks like now? Have you modded your case in any way?

If we are talking about the 1080 you need to remove the shroud, fans, and modify the heatsink then. You only have 8" of room. Peace!

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Last question from me tonight: will the zotac 1070 require modding of the HDPLEX power jack like the gigabyte 1070?

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
@spintje , do I smell the possibility of a water cooled mini? Jk. I'm in the same boat, but couldn't really figured out how to fit a radiator in the mini. It's a shame to mod that sexy bezel, but the 1080 runs cooler than the 1070....iirc

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com
I

I had to remove the 5mm thick bezel to fit my GPU in unmodded. I have ordered a frosted acrylic bezel from Josh but it will take a few weeks to get here.

BrainTaste

Average Stuffer
Jan 3, 2017
steamcommunity.com
Last question from me tonight: will the zotac 1070 require modding of the HDPLEX power jack like the gigabyte 1070?[/QUOTE

No, you do not have to MOD it, however you do have to squeeze the 1070 under one of the metal things that sticks out from the HDPLEX DC/DC cable. In my case, I screwed in the bottom screw and turned my DC/DC cable and put my 1070 (Zotac) in and then turned the cable again so the metal piece that sticks out has to cover portion of the 1070. You have to out your DC/DC Jack backwards, so that the flat piece faces away from the 1070. I'll try to get a picture of it

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Took some pictures of the my S4 next to the A4 and M1 today.
Let me know if there's specific angels or compares y'all (especially josh) might want to see, Tomorrow afternoon the A4 is heading out to it's new home in Oregon.