CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Reactions: spintje

DJH

Efficiency Noob
Feb 22, 2017
@spintje with the shroud removed it should fit fine iirc. He's got all the mods in his shop on NFC, including a custom bezel cutout and vent plate combo so you won't have to make any modifications to the card itself. Without those though, you're looking at an 8" max card.

flacman

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2016
Happy to report that Day 2 load testing (Battlefield 1 - 1080P Ultra with High FXAA) has been successful with GPU UC/throttling applied. My system is dead quiet and has yet to suffer any unexpected power issues during gameplay!

Reactions: CubanLegend

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Do I get a discount if I can order w/o a wraparound bezel? The acrylic add-on made me think about it. I'd like a vented front but in all metal. And I so happen to have an extra 5mm thick piece of aluminum bar exactly 2.5 inches wide, might as well make good use of it.

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
Thanks for the replys all! I am actually not worried abort removing the shroud from the 1080 (actually like look better). However i am a bit worried about temps, has anyone experimented with temps on either 1070 or 1080 with shroud removed and a single 120mm fan for ventilation, and want to share temps?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Thanks for the replys all! I am actually not worried abort removing the shroud from the 1080 (actually like look better). However i am a bit worried about temps, has anyone experimented with temps on either 1070 or 1080 with shroud removed and a single 120mm fan for ventilation, and want to share temps?
Why take the stock fans off? They keep the card EXTRA cool. You get even lower temps if you go into your NVIDIA Control Panel and set the "Power Management Mode" option to "Adaptive" from "Prefer Maximum Performance".

Here's my temps on the 1080mini:
28-32c idle stock - adaptive mode
35c idle stock - maximum performance mode
38c idle OCed - maximum performance mode

Here's a description of the option from an old Nvidia Tweak Guide:
If Adaptive is chosen, the graphics card automatically steps down in clock speed in games and 3D applications if they aren't generating a high GPU load. If Prefer Maximum Performance is chosen, when running any game or 3D application, the GPU will maintain its maximum clock speed regardless of load. The Adaptive setting shouldn't cause any problems in modern games, as the GPU will always run at full speed when required without interruption.

Offtopic, regarding i7-7700K temp drops (using NH-L9i and stock fan): By the way guys. I've been able to lower my idle i7-7700k temps by anywhere from 4-5c to 8-9c idle by enabling C-states in the ASUS UEFI BIOS, Although my windows Power Management is still set to High Performance mode... and forces the CPU to stay at 100% clock speeds, the CPU will automatically drop the voltage when idle (while staying turbo'd to 4.5GHz stock lol) and the temps drop considerably. I've tested this for the last few days since I started messing with it. I have actually found no temp decrease if I allow the CPU to downclock itself by setting the minimum CPU power state to 5%, (where it'll downclock itself to 800MHz when idle), so I left it at 100% minimum CPU state and it stays turbo'd at 4.5GHz effortlessly while drawing less vcore at idle. :D

I used to idle at 48-49c but now I'm idling at 43-44c and sometimes down to 39-40c, on my 7700k (which is always turbo'd to 4.5GHz for some reason). :D I'll be re-running my previously run benchmarks to see if the GPU Power management mode and the CPU C-states affect benchmark scores/performance, which they shouldn't. :)

Here's the C-states setting in the BIOS:

Last edited:

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
@CubanLegend if i remove the shroud is there any way i can keep the stock fans on the heatsink? At least i have not seen a way yet. My plan would be too remove the shroud and fans, buy a pwm adapter and use a 120mm silm fan to cool to 1080 mini.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend very keen to see your benchmarks. I am a sucker for overclocking, but looking at upgrading from a 2600k and 970 to something way smaller and quieter than my full tower (beer for scale) and if I have to sacrifice higher clock speeds then so be it (though 4.5 is still great).
Thanks, I'll rerun those benchmarks today and report if there's any difference. :) Note I used to OC my CPU to 4.8 with 1.25 vcore, but it wasnt worth the bump in the idle temps and load/gaming temps. Once I get the LP53 and replace the NH-L9i, I'll finalize my pre-delid temps, then after the delid I should be able to do 5.0GHz stable inside the S4 mini.
@CubanLegend if i remove the shroud is there any way i can keep the stock fans on the heatsink? At least i have not seen a way yet. My plan would be too remove the shroud and fans, buy a pwm adapter and use a 120mm silm fan to cool to 1080 mini.
yeah I think you can keep the stock fans without the shroud. Note sure though, so don't quote me on that. why swap the stock fans with a slim 120? the 2 stock fans are quiet and great at keeping the GPU cool. the 120 slim fan would end up being louder once the GPU temps go up and it has to spin up.

@CubalLegend I've got my ASUS Z270i today with the LP 53 Cooler, and it's a very tight fit!

@Tact1calBeard... NICE! I'm still waiting for my LP53, i can't see your picture, could you reupload it to imgur or flickr please?

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
does it work now?
yes it works. DANG that IS a tight fit... :( did you try removing the VRM heatsink on the rear I/O and mounting the LP-53 with the 2 big heatpipe ends facing the rear I/O? What about removing 1 ram stick and mounting the LP-53 with the big heatpipe ends facing the ram?

Basically the way it's setup now isn't optimal as the fins are facing the ram and rear I/O, so when the fan blows down onto the heatsink the hot air will get stuck on the rear I/O and RAM and will heat up those components, instead of more freely exiting the S4 Mini. Did you run a temp test with it against the NH-L9i inside the S4 mini yet? :D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, but I wanted to give some quick thoughts on the LP53 after a customer generously allowed
me to test it out over the past week.

I've been using it on the ASUS Z270i STRIX with a 7700K, and although I think it is a good cooler that could be good with certain motherboard configurations, I would not personally use this cooler with the STRIX and S4 MINI or recommend it if asked.

1. The mounting "solution" is one of the worst I have seen. It does not have the precision of the Noctua solution but implements the method, and without the precision or a backplate this is potentially dangerous.

2. The cooler's size is a bit unwieldly for the STRIX, which means the only position that fits without bending the adjacent heatsinks off their componentry is perpendicular to the RAM, which no only blocks air from escaping the fins, but can cause premature failure to the first RAM module.

3. The included fan is an acceptable performer, but is not S4 MINI compatible, so a new fan would need to be purchased, further increasing this cooler's cost. Obviously it is not as quiet as some higher end fans but it's size allows it to be run at lower speeds due to the pressure the blades can generate.

4. Fit, finish, and packaging are not even in the same category as the NHl9i. I am not concerned with this as some people, but it bears noting based on the price.

5. The performance at PART TEMP is not as wide in my tests as some tests I have seen on the internet. I believe this has to do with the STRIX and it's very tight fitment with this cooler and the orientation/fin direction required. I plan on doing much better testing at the end of this week, but in light of all the factors I will not be making a video to cover this cooler, as yet again, I do not think it has the chops to be a replacement for the NH-l9i. If the performance for my last tests blows me away, then I will reconsider.

Last edited:

Tact1calBeard

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I don't consider myself an authority on the subject, but I wanted to give some quick thoughts on the LP53 after a customer generously allowed
me to test it out over the past week.

I've been using it on the ASUS Z270i STRIX with a 7700K, and although I think it is a good cooler that could be good with certain motherboard configurations, I would not personally use this cooler with the STRIX and S4 MINI or recommend it if asked.

1. The mounting "solution" is one of the worst I have seen. It does not have the precision of the Noctua solution but implements the method, and without the precision or a backplate this is potentially dangerous.

2. The cooler's size is a bit unwieldly for the STRIX, which means the only position that fits without bending the adjacent heatsinks off their componentry is perpendicular to the RAM, which no only blocks air from escaping the fins, but can cause premature failure to the first RAM module.

3. The included fan is an acceptable performer, but is not S4 MINI compatible, so a new fan would need to be purchased, further increasing this cooler's cost. Obviously it is not as quiet as some higher end fans but it's size allows it to be run at lower speeds due to the pressure the blades can generate.

4. Fit, finish, and packaging are not even in the same category as the NHl9i. I am not concerned with this as some people, but it bears noting based on the price.

5. The performance at PART TEMP is not as wide in my tests as some tests I have seen on the internet. I believe this has to do with the STRIX and it's very tight fitment with this cooler and the orientation/fin direction required. I plan on doing much better testing at the end of this week, but in light of all the factors I will not be making a video to cover this cooler, as yet again, I do not think it has the chops to be a replacement for the NH-l9i. If the performance for my last tests blows me away, then I will reconsider.

yeah, the fit is really tight and it will only fit in one direction. I think that is the reason for the differences in temps for you Josh, because both "open" sides are blocked through RAM or VRM heatsink, so air cant escape

spintje

Average Stuffer
Feb 16, 2017
yeah I think you can keep the stock fans without the shroud. Note sure though, so don't quote me on that. why swap the stock fans with a slim 120? the 2 stock fans are quiet and great at keeping the GPU cool. the 120 slim fan would end up being louder once the GPU temps go up and it has to spin up.

I assumed that there would not be clearence to keep the normal GPU fans mounted, all builds i have seen with the Zotac 1070/1080, that did not require modding to the case, has had the shroud and fans removed. I would be very interested in hearing other experiences regarding this and whether it is possible to do.