S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I saw someone posted earlier that they were going to try out a Zotac GTX 1080 Mini inside the case... well, sorry but I beat you to the punch. Does it fit? Kinda:

So, here's my notes:

1) You have to remove the wraparound bezel. This is the only way to insert the GPU..

Any chance you could be a dear and measure EXACTLY how many millimetres the heatsink and shroud (separately) stick out past the outermost edge of the inner case? Wondering if I can bore 4mm into the 5mm bezel and create enough space to sneak in the 1080.

Reactions: Phuncz

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Oh man, it looks like it's SO close! I don't guess the fans (not fins) interfere with the case/wraparound?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Delidding my 6700 and replace the thermal compound with silver 5, resulting in a maximum 65 Celcius with the engine 27 in the S4.
did you say ARCTIC SILVER 5? dude no offense but that is one of the oldest Thermal Compounds you could use, there's better performing conventional ones out there like Thermal Grizzly Kronaut. And if you really want the best performance and temp drop, Liquid metal compounds like Coollaboratory's Liquid Ultra can be the best performing TIM... and if you apply it right, you only have to apply it ONCE to the CPU die and then relid, as it is reported to last the entire life of the CPU by others who've used liquid metals applied properly. :)
Any chance you could be a dear and measure EXACTLY how many millimetres the heatsink and shroud (separately) stick out past the outermost edge of the inner case? Wondering if I can bore 4mm into the 5mm bezel and create enough space to sneak in the 1080.
I would like an exact measurement as well. Either way, Josh will know for sure once he gets mine on Wednesday. :)

ant247

Minimal Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2017
Don't suppose anyone in the UK also had their mini get stuck in customs? How long did it take /what did you have to pay to receive it?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
OMG screw Newgg XD. They use FedEx for shipping my z270i... FedEx shipped my 1080mini to me and i missed the first attempted shipment by 5 minutes, so i registered on the FedEx site so i could leave instructions for the shipment to be made after a certain time (within the delivery window) and...THEY STILL shipped it way early the next day and ignored my instructions, thankfully I had someone home to sign for it.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
OMG screw Newgg XD. They use FedEx for shipping my z270i... FedEx shipped my 1080mini to me and i missed the first attempted shipment by 5 minutes, so i registered on the FedEx site so i could leave instructions for the shipment to be made after a certain time (within the delivery window) and...THEY STILL shipped it way early the next day and ignored my instructions, thankfully I had someone home to sign for it.

That sort of thing happens with all of the delivery companies. I've had it happen with FedEx, UPS, and DHL.

doogie

Trash Compacter
Nov 28, 2016
Ha. I'd be jazzed just to see pictures of mine - I bet the powdercoat looks amazing.

..and holy crap so does that Z270I. Argh, it doesn't make a lick of sense to swap out the Z170I board but good lord does that look cool.

It looks like the G.Skill TridentZ RGB (MOAR RGB!!!) is about 4mm too high to go in the MINI - officially. Anyone actually buy these sticks? Are they awesome?????!!!!!11111?

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
Ha. I'd be jazzed just to see pictures of mine - I bet the powdercoat looks amazing.

..and holy crap so does that Z270I. Argh, it doesn't make a lick of sense to swap out the Z170I board but good lord does that look cool.

It looks like the G.Skill TridentZ RGB (MOAR RGB!!!) is about 4mm too high to go in the MINI - officially. Anyone actually buy these sticks? Are they awesome?????!!!!!11111?
Got mine on the way, will test when got it on hand!

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
Just waiting on the PSU to move into mine, which will come soon enough. : )
Then I'll get the A4 I kickstarted, sell it to a guy on reddit since I don't need it (after taking lots of M1/A4/S4 comparison shots, of course)
And ideally I'll use that to buy a 6700T, then sell my CPU/mobo/RAM to fund the Z270I and some fairly basic GSKILL ram.

Finally used one of the Q stickers from quakecon last year too!

Ah, also!
I can post a compare between the mod-smart vandal switch I got and the mouser, if anyone is interested.

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
Please do!
here we go. :)

Mod-smart/ E-switch from Mouser | Mod-smart/ E-switch from Mouser

the e-switch is 20mm end-to end, and the mod-smart is about 35mm end to end

Edit:
I prefer the tactile feel of the e-switch to the modsmart
The mod-smart is a light click, and the E-switch is more of a ka-chunk

Plus stainless looks better to me than the nickel or whatever finish the MS has.

Last edited:

Curiosity

Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 30, 2016
I prefer the E-Switch I bought from Mouser because the way the switch feels, and for how compact it is.
I got the RGB version not knowing what I was doing, but they have several versions with single colors available.

Reactions: ricochet