S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
While it may exist the problem is supply and sourcing for consumers like us.

I don't think it exists; I found another site like that where they offhandedly say that DDR4 VLP non-ECC is available, but I think they mean that they are capable of mass producing it if you want to put in an order for 100,000 of them first.

If someone finds an actual order page with "Add to Cart", then I'll believe it :)

You know what they say: if you have to fill out a quote form before they show you the pricing, you won't be able to afford it.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
There's lots of VLP for servers but that is ECC ram which won't work with desktop.

Even DDR4 ECC Unbuffered is hard to come by in VLP. The only one I found is from Crucial's eBay store of all things.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
What's the point of VLP DDR in an S4 mini anyway? I know space is limited inside the case but the best HSF is the Noctua NH-L9i which does not interfere with the DDR slots of almost every Mini-ITX mobo. What other coolers are you guys using that require VLP DDR?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
What's the point of VLP DDR in an S4 mini anyway? I know space is limited inside the case but the best HSF is the Noctua NH-L9i which does not interfere with the DDR slots of almost every Mini-ITX mobo. What other coolers are you guys using that require VLP DDR?

Better cooling. VLP ram is amazing. If you get some you can use the Zalman + a Scythe and get airflow over your ram and if you wire it right, the HDPLEX and it can further help temps.

That's how I would roll if possible--it is just hard to find.

Reactions: Phuncz

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017

The NH-L9i is good, but I get the feeling that I can at a minimum pair up a 140mm fan with the NH-L9i heatsink and get a temp/noise reduction of some sort.

What I might experiment with is getting something like the Arctic Mono GPU cooler and modding it mount to the CPU, as that is flatter and wider than a CPU heatsink. That's one place where the VLP would come in very handy.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the Arctic Accelero Mono GPU cooler would work on a GPU in the S4? I think it might fit if the orientation is flipped. It is 136x138x51mm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DAD8HS/?tag=theminutiae-20

It might be a great option for putting on to the GTX 1080 Mini instead of the stock cooler. Then the 1080 would fit completely in the case. The Arctic Mono is reported to work extremely well on the RX 480 which is the same TDP.

Reactions: ricochet

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
The NH-L9i is good, but I get the feeling that I can at a minimum pair up a 140mm fan with the NH-L9i heatsink and get a temp/noise reduction of some sort.

What I might experiment with is getting something like the Arctic Mono GPU cooler and modding it mount to the CPU, as that is flatter and wider than a CPU heatsink. That's one place where the VLP would come in very handy.

Speaking of which, does anyone know if the Arctic Accelero Mono GPU cooler would work on a GPU in the S4? I think it might fit if the orientation is flipped. It is 136x138x51mm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006DAD8HS/?tag=theminutiae-20

It might be a great option for putting on to the GTX 1080 Mini instead of the stock cooler. Then the 1080 would fit completely in the case. The Arctic Mono is reported to work extremely well on the RX 480 which is the same TDP.
Where is there a 140mm fan (or slim fan even) that can fit atop an NH-L9i and be properly mounted inside an S4 mini? Where are the performance numbers of such a use case?

Idk about modding a GPU HSF to work on a CPU socket due to mounting and space constraints. I do like that you're thinking outside the box regarding using it on a 1080mini though. DANG, I can't wait for Josh to get mine in so we can start seeing what options we have for a stock 1080mini's S4mini fitment. All this speculation is killing me, it'd make me feel so much better after Josh can give us some concrete answers/options for fitments.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'll have my 1080 on Tuesday and already have my new S4 if anyone wants photos/measurements. Took a little longer since I had to get it shipped from the states and brought across the border by my mom and reshipped.

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
that's really cool!
did you base it off of the sketchup model josh has out there or something else?

I might have to steal your idea

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
that's really cool!
did you base it off of the sketchup model josh has out there or something else?

I might have to steal your idea

Don't use the sketchup model for this.

If anyone is good at tracing blue prints in a vector program I have some files for you. We can make something that we can share with the community. I've had several people say they would give it a try but I'm only looking for people who are comfortable with the pen tool.

Reactions: Curiosity

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
To Josh: I know you've worked with the HDPlex guy in the past (his 300w PSU is optimized for your case, and I received a riser from you that looks identical to what he's been using). Have you considered seeing if you could collaborate on a heatsink for your case? He seems to have access to some cool heatpipe systems where you slide them into a CPU plate and clamp them into place; maybe you could design a system to maximize the area of the heatsink in your case and still allow a bit of adjustment depending on different motherboard socket placement.

Something like this guy's project, but for the CPU instead: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/project-o-mostly-without-h.665/

Where is there a 140mm fan (or slim fan even) that can fit atop an NH-L9i and be properly mounted inside an S4 mini? Where are the performance numbers of such a use case?

Idk about modding a GPU HSF to work on a CPU socket due to mounting and space constraints. I do like that you're thinking outside the box regarding using it on a 1080mini though. DANG, I can't wait for Josh to get mine in so we can start seeing what options we have for a stock 1080mini's S4mini fitment. All this speculation is killing me, it'd make me feel so much better after Josh can give us some concrete answers/options for fitments.

I don't know about performance numbers, but my current PC is dead silent because I put a Arctic S1 on my RX 480 and a NoFan CR-80EH on my 6700k, then attached 140mm Ultra Sleek Vortex to both and set them to a fixed low RPM. The RX 480 and 6700k are both overclocked too and both top out around 70c under load. So essentially I took two coolers designed for passive use, put them on loads way above their TDP ratings, and used low profile 140mm fans to make up the different and it was very successful.

Anyway, I'm trying different things out for fun:

- Noctua L9i heatsink with 140mm fan above it

- Try to ziptie an Arctic Mono GPU cooler to the CPU and put 140mm fan above it

- AXP-100, slice out the fins in between the top fins and heatsink, and sandwich a 120mm or 140mm fan in between.

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

If anyone is good at tracing blue prints in a vector program I have some files for you. We can make something that we can share with the community. I've had several people say they would give it a try but I'm only looking for people who are comfortable with the pen tool.

So basically this:

with Adobe Illustrator? If so, I am confident I can do that.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
OMG I hate FedEX, they have my ASUS z270i about 5 miles away from me at a Local facility since 7am today...but it's not due until Wednesday before 8pm, so they will be holding it all day today, tomorrow and then I'll get it Wednesday... AND when I call them they say that facility doesn't let me pick up my package even though it's just sitting there. WOW I've NEVER had this crap happen with UPS, FedEx has always done this, why tho? XD

Reactions: cmyk78

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016

damit I'm using the sketchup model.
Is there anything wrong about that?

NotungX

Caliper Novice
Nov 3, 2016
Just bought the last HDPLEX 300W off of Amazon :).
Any idea when the GALAX 1070 Mini comes out? I've been checking the page to no avail.
I ordered a gtx 1070 mini (KFA2) from Germany last week (shipping to NL). It arrives tomorrow via UPS... Not sure I'll be home at the time of the delivery.... Anyway I'll post some pictures once I get it!

Reactions: Curiosity