S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So an update! I got the ZOTAC 1080 MINI when I got home today. Here's a video (both videos shot in a rushed manner with an iPhone6s, sorry) of me unboxing the 1080mini, and here's a video of a close up look at the 1080mini itself (especially close look at the rear heatsink). It's been shipped off to @Josh | NFC and should arrive in his hands by next Wednesday, so he can play with it and make a more detailed fitment test on it with his S4 mini chassis, expect more in-depth fitment info in written and/or video form from him at some point in the near future.

Here's some pics I took of the card next to my old ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 and a 3.5inch HDD:

Here's the end of the card's heatsink up close, tried to get a pic as square as possible (i get a better look in my second video):

Here's the card sitting inside my current (and superold) gaming PC listed in my sig, for DOA testing:

And here's the packaging of the card after I packed the HDPLEX-300 and all it's wiring into the 1080mini's packaging open space to ship to Josh:

So while it's on it's way to Josh now, lets hope it makes it there in one peice. AND LET US ALL PRAY THE FITMENT GODS look down upon us favorably!

So here's what I gathered from looking at it up close...that heatsink has very thin connections on the corners of it along it's width, so it's probably super easy to cut and trim the aluminum fins to fit inside the wrap-around in addition to removing the card's shroud. That leaves the fans, as the 2 fans certainly seem to be able to fit over the card's heatsink, they could benefit to slide over to the left a few mm in order for the right fan to fit and not overhang the heatsink (maybe only the right one needs to be moved, idk). Lots of options could be tested regarding fan placement/mods. Heck, even removing the shroud and fans and connecting a 120x12mm scythe slim fan to the GPU with that GELID gpu fan connector adapter, while it's mounted on the case's fan bracket might work.

Although... I'd prefer it if the stock card could fit inside the S4mini with the wrap around bezel ON, I'd prefer modding my case than the card for fitment, if possible. And if that means I leave the card stock and I have to carefully shave the inside of the wrap around's aluminum to fit the last few mm of the card into a recess in the bezel, so be it. Hell, I'd pay for that service on my S4's bezel if it meant the card could remain stock. Maybe it can be fitted via design in the next round of S4 mini's, by adding a slightly shaved recess inside the wrap-around bezel to fit the 1080mini, completely stock! But, I'm just thinking out loud here guys!

Last I remember that wrap-around bezel's aluminum is SUPER STRONG so shaving it isn't an easy task that just anyone can do, i'd probably have to take it to a special place of some sort.

Last edited:

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
wow! so you're going to be cutting and sleeving every HDPLEX wire you have? NICE! That certainly seems like a HUGE undertaking, I totally understand why that's so expensive to do, due to the time and extreme attention to detail it must take.

Yeah, I'm pretty pumped for the finished product. ModDIY cable combs are on the way. It's gonna look so clean.

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Awwww, sad words make me sad. I am individually sleeving and shortening the 24-pin, both 8-pins, and the 6-pin PSU cords. Figured since I'm sure there's at least another couple week wait for the board, I can get as much done as possible before that time comes. Wasn't to taunt. :) Already desoldered, shortened, sleeved, re-soldered and heatshrunk the CPU Cooler fan.

I already have a plan to remove them. It involves drilling into the GPU's PCB, so wish me luck. :)

Simple, yet elegant...

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I ordered my ASUS z270i the moment it went live on Newegg! HYPE!
That old thing?
I was hoping it was a link to this 34mm high copper dual pipe heat sink cooler with hideous neon green and black plastic accents and a white and blue sticker. That's what I've been waiting for.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/PCCooler-HTPC-Low-Profile-2-Heatpipes-Copper-Fin-.html

This board supports M.2 NVME RAID0?
THAT is a good question... i just tweeted it to ASUS ROG & ASUS ROG UK

Last edited:
Reactions: Tek Everything

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Wow, I didn't even consider that as an advantage of moving away from SATA. Looks like I might be on the Z270 train, after all.

Reactions: ricochet

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Order a pair from a Canadian distributor like NCIX. Doesn't seem to be a problem up here (yet)

Reactions: ricochet

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Oh yes it does. That's why it was SO worth the wait.

Just checking in case there were any GOTCHAs like reduced lane bandwidth.

too bad the 960 EVOs are out of stock EVERYWHERE. If I have enough money later this year I'll buy a 2nd Intel 600p and get on the Raid-0 NVME fast lane!

Amazon claims in stock for the PROS anyways. BTW use that link and I will include candy in your MINI box. ;)

Wow, I didn't even consider that as an advantage of moving away from SATA. Looks like I might be on the Z270 train, after all.

Are there any SATA drives that come close to M.2 Speeds? If there are I gotta let a vid customer know

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Question about raid 0. Is it possible to have say a 1TB Evo and a 250 GB Evo and raid a 250GB portion of the 1TB while leaving the other 750GB non raid?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Are there any SATA drives that come close to M.2 Speeds? If there are I gotta let a vid customer know

I don't think so, Josh. I just meant that using SATA for RAID on SSDs doesn't tend to net you very much from my experience. Not only is each drive "probably" bottlenecked by SATA, but you're then using two or more bottlenecked drives through a controller that's based around SATA.

I hear NVME lets you avoid the bottleneck of SATA (assuming you're using PCI-E), and just hadn't considered that that should also in theory enable faster RAID.

I don't know a whole lot about this, though, so definitely trust your own homework.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Question about raid 0. Is it possible to have say a 1TB Evo and a 250 GB Evo and raid a 250GB portion of the 1TB while leaving the other 750GB non raid?

I don't think 'Hardware' RAID will let you do that, but something like Unraid or an operating system's Volume Management should let you. Not sure if Windows' Striped/Spanned Volumes or Storage Spaces would support the throughput, but I don't see why they wouldn't?

Reactions: GreatestUnKnown

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
too bad the 960 EVOs are out of stock EVERYWHERE. If I have enough money later this year I'll buy a 2nd Intel 600p and get on the Raid-0 NVME fast lane!

Which 960 Evo are you looking for? the 250s are out, but have known performance issues at the moment. 500s are in stock, though.

That being said, with the bottlenecks caused by the Intel DMI 3.0, almost any two PCI-E x4 NVMe RAID-0 configuration should yield results that are pretty close.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Which 960 Evo are you looking for? the 250s are out, but have known performance issues at the moment. 500s are in stock, though.

That being said, with the bottlenecks caused by the Intel DMI 3.0, almost any two PCI-E x4 NVMe RAID-0 configuration should yield results that are pretty close.
Dude the 960 EVO 250GBs (item #MZ-V6E250BW) are sold out/out of stock, on backorder/preorder EVERYWHERE for the MRSP of $129, the only place that has them are alternate sellers on Amazon/Newegg that are hiking the price up almost to the 500GB version, due to stock shortages. Here's the Newegg, Amazon and B&H links:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147593&ignorebbr=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYFKX41/?tag=theminutiae-20
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1288023-REG/samsung_mz_v6e250bw_250gb_960_evo_nvme.html

All backordered, all out of stock, any that are available are being price gouged. I'd rather just stick with a single Intel 600p 256GB for $107USD from Amazon as my boot times will only vary by 1-2 seconds and my game load times will not vary by much compared to the 960 EVO. It's not like I'm gonna die if I have to wait an extra few seconds if I'm extracting a large file, lol. I'm not editing or stuff like that, just gaming. The 2TB Seagate Firecuda 25inch SHDD (hybrid SSD/HDD) will actually near SSD speeds due to its 8GB smart cache that it uses, after the first load, subsequent game loads will get faster until they reach SSD speeds, as tested by Digital Foundry.