S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I have a few E-Switch 19 and 22mm and they're great, though a bit pricey. The click is very industrial and feels way more impressive than any other computer power switch I've come across.

Reactions: ricochet

ricochet

SFF AFFLICTED
Oct 20, 2016
Concur, I like the E-Switch as well for both the LP - SFF attribute, as well as that solid clicking sound you provided via the video!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
here we go. :)

Mod-smart/ E-switch from Mouser | Mod-smart/ E-switch from Mouser

the e-switch is 20mm end-to end, and the mod-smart is about 35mm end to end

Edit:
I prefer the tactile feel of the e-switch to the modsmart
The mod-smart is a light click, and the E-switch is more of a ka-chunk

Plus stainless looks better to me than the nickel or whatever finish the MS has.
WOW! I like the button press of that E-switch, and it's small size! does the switch Josh sells compare more with the left or the right one?

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
WOW! I like the button press of that E-switch, and it's small size! does the switch Josh sells compare more with the left or the right one?
I'm not sure, he would have to weigh in on that since I don't have one of the ones he offers.

Reactions: ricochet

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Or what about this metal mesh from Caselabs? I bought one and recieved it recently, I was thinking about extending the GPU cutout on the S4 mini to mount this and just run the S4mini without a bezel. But I think it's too big of a cover, I might consider cutting the cover, and rebending it to fit inside the current cutout. But this would be a last resort if I really couldn't get the bezel to fit over the card, and had to run the case without a bezel, lol. I'm sorry guys, I'm just too in love with the Wrap-around bezel that I'd do anything to keep it and the 1080mini!

But aside from all this bezel talk, as a sidenote, @Zero was technically able to show us that the 1080mini DOES fit inside the S4 mini if you remove the bezel and it DOES require removing the bezel in order to slide it in... so I'd say it's safe to say that it does fit inside the S4 mini (with a caveat). If someone doesn't mind not having the bezel and having the card slightly stick out the front, it WILL fit without modding the card, which is awesome. :)

Again, everyone should forget about getting the 1080 Mini to fit with the bezel on, it's not going to happen. If you removed the 1080's bezel, and chiseled into the S4 bezel, I'm pretty sure the fan blades would still strike it.

If you're going to go through that level of work, you could simply take the entire cooler off the 1080, at which point you'd have a bare ITX-length GPU, and could try attaching an alternative cooler or water loop.

The Caselabs mesh looks to be like it could work. The three screw holes going across the GPU slot are exactly 6 inches across. Does anyone have insight as to the distance between the holes on that Caselabs mesh? It if is a little smaller, you could clear the holes on the case and use washers to clamp it on.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
On a different topic, I see people getting the Asus Z270i, and that seems nice especially for the dual M.2 slots, but I still kind of wanted to hold out for the ASRock Z270 gaming, on account of the Thunderbolt 3 port. The ASRock Z270 non-gaming version actually has more USB ports, dual Intel NICs, Intel Wifi; I'd say it's best value for Z270 ITX boards. But the ASRock gaming is the only ITX board with a TB3 port and that enables things like external GPU docks (available now) and some tech coming out in the future such as docking stations that you can connect with optical cables (these exist for TB2 already, such as the Corning Optical Thunderbolt cable).

NewEgg has a listing for the Z270 Gaming, but I don't think anyone actually has it in stock yet: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157752

timmur

What's an ITX?
Feb 4, 2017
I'm holding out for the Asrock as well. Besides TB3, it's the only ITX (that i'm aware of) board that has HDMI 2.0.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
got my 2 Scythe fans in today. the 120x12mm PWM and the 100x12mm PWM. The smaller 100mm one does have the smaller secondary mounting holes for use with the Nuctua NH-L9i (YAY!) and the 120mm has a nice sleeved cable. They DID NOT seem to come with any screws though, FYI.

Here's a comparison of the 2 Scythes and 1 of the 2 Rosewill's I have. As you can see the Scythe is 12mm thick and the Rosewill is 15mm. Certainly a difference!

Again, everyone should forget about getting the 1080 Mini to fit with the bezel on, it's not going to happen. If you removed the 1080's bezel, and chiseled into the S4 bezel, I'm pretty sure the fan blades would still strike it.

If you're going to go through that level of work, you could simply take the entire cooler off the 1080, at which point you'd have a bare ITX-length GPU, and could try attaching an alternative cooler or water loop.

The Caselabs mesh looks to be like it could work. The three screw holes going across the GPU slot are exactly 6 inches across. Does anyone have insight as to the distance between the holes on that Caselabs mesh? It if is a little smaller, you could clear the holes on the case and use washers to clamp it on.
Zero, you gotta stay positive bro! XD Maybe we can slide the fans/shroud to the left a bit by adjusting the mount? Maybe we do that by cutting the left edge of the shroud by the GPU inputs?
Of course we could still look into shaving out a cavity inside the bezel, shaving the aluminum fins and removing the fans and placing a 120mmx12mm scythe in there on the fan bracket?
What about trying to actually mount the GPU onto the chassis to the left by a few mm by bending a bit of the rear/IO GPU mounting area of the case?
There just HAS to be a way to get the stock card to fit in the case! :)

Also @Zero , I own that mesh from Caselabs, here's a pic of the measurement, with the screw holes lined up to zero, the others line up to 6in & 3/8ths.

Anyone have any ideas if that Caselabs mesh would work if someone wanted to run the 1080mini inside the S4-mini with the bezel off?

Reactions: Phuncz and ricochet

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
They work really well to give you a little space. You can see how I used the double wide to get an LP 750ti into the Lone Industries L1

As far as using one in the S4 mini you have two options. One would be to make the hole in the chassis bigger to fit the grill and then just pushing it through. The other option would be to drill a hole through the thick bezel and mount the grill to the back. I personally think the second option is vastly superior if you have the means to do so. I should have my 1080 mini by mid week next week and will be measuring to see if a third option will work. What I am hoping is that the 1080 with or without shroud extends less than 4mm past the inner chassis. If this is the case, I am going to get a recess milled in that leaves the finished front of the bezel intact.

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
For all who were wondering, with the S4 Mini soft-clamped (in order to obtain the closest distance the lid could feasibly get to the RAM), the G.Skill Trident Z memory along with the ASUS Strix Z270i Gaming motherboard has plenty (in my opinion) of clearance. From the top of the tallest fin to the bottom of the lid of the case, clamped, there is 5.63mm of clearance.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Also @Zero , I own that mesh from Caselabs, here's a pic of the measurement, with the screw holes lined up to zero, the others line up to 6in & 3/8ths.

Anyone have any ideas if that Caselabs mesh would work if someone wanted to run the 1080mini inside the S4-mini with the bezel off?

Eyeballing that picture and my own case with the 1080 in it, I'd say yes, that looks like it would work perfectly as long as you widen the pre-existing holes in the S4 by 1/8-inch each (or you could just use strong glue or double-sided tape). The opening for the GPU slot itself is 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" inches, by the way.

In any event, I found some on Amazon Prime, so I snagged one to try it myself on Tuesday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFNV4KK/?tag=theminutiae-20

Reactions: CubanLegend

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
For all who were wondering, with the S4 Mini soft-clamped (in order to obtain the closest distance the lid could feasibly get to the RAM), the G.Skill Trident Z memory along with the ASUS Strix Z270i Gaming motherboard has plenty (in my opinion) of clearance. From the top of the tallest fin to the bottom of the lid of the case, clamped, there is 5.63mm of clearance.

Would anyone know how many millimeters of clearance from the top of the case a "normal" ram stick would be?

I ordered a couple types of slim 140mm fans (Cryorig CR-XTA 140mm x 13mm, RAIJINTEK Aeolus a-BB 140mm x 13mm, and I already have some Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm x 15mm) so I was going to see if I could fit one of those fans over the ram and CPU heatsink and get better cooling than those 92 or 120mm fans that you get on most CPU coolers.

One annoying thing is that there is desktop-compatible VLP (Very Low Profile) ram in DDR3 from a variety of manufacturers, but even after all this time there is absolutely no VLP DDR4 for desktops. There's lots of VLP for servers but that is ECC ram which won't work with desktop.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Eyeballing that picture and my own case with the 1080 in it, I'd say yes, that looks like it would work perfectly as long as you widen the pre-existing holes in the S4 by 1/8-inch each (or you could just use strong glue or double-sided tape). The opening for the GPU slot itself is 4 3/4" x 1 3/4" inches, by the way.

In any event, I found some on Amazon Prime, so I snagged one to try it myself on Tuesday:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BFNV4KK/?tag=theminutiae-20
Thanks for the info @Zero , we look forward to seeing your post on that mesh cover on Tuesday! :)

LodisKnight

W Flyer
Dec 23, 2016
factorgaming.net
Would anyone know how many millimeters of clearance from the top of the case a "normal" ram stick would be?

I ordered a couple types of slim 140mm fans (Cryorig CR-XTA 140mm x 13mm, RAIJINTEK Aeolus a-BB 140mm x 13mm, and I already have some Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 140mm x 15mm) so I was going to see if I could fit one of those fans over the ram and CPU heatsink and get better cooling than those 92 or 120mm fans that you get on most CPU coolers.

One annoying thing is that there is desktop-compatible VLP (Very Low Profile) ram in DDR3 from a variety of manufacturers, but even after all this time there is absolutely no VLP DDR4 for desktops. There's lots of VLP for servers but that is ECC ram which won't work with desktop.

Doing the math, based on these numbers (5.63mm), and my memory (rated at 44mm), heat sink-less RAM (DDR4 spec puts it at 32mm) would have 17.63mm of clearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1461748123

Smallform Gaming

Cable-Tie Ninja
Aug 10, 2016

http://www.virtium.com/memory/
*ECC and non-ECC industrial V/ULP DDR4 up to 32GB a stick

Reactions: cmyk78