S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
I thought I had tested the superior mode (which i thought was push), boy am I glad you suggested I try pull, Here's the new results (good news everyone)!

Test Setup:
-S4M-C #193 with the Side panels ON, in vertical orientation (power button on bottom)
-CPU is i7-7700k @ 4.5GHz, 1.2vcore
-Room temps @ 74F (23c)
-Temps taken after 10 minutes from hottest core temp unless otherwise stated

LP53 & NFA9x14 pull vs Blackridge & NF A12x15 push vs pull
Idle at Desktop 35c vs 38c vs 32c
Prime95 26.6 80 vs 82c vs 75c
RealBench Stress 79c vs 81c vs 74c
x264 Custom Load 78c vs 82c vs 74c
Intel Burn Test (Standard) after 10 runs 67c vs 70c vs 63c
AIDA64 System Stress Test 81c vs 84c vs 78c

Thats a 6-8c decrease in temps in BlackRidge push vs pull
And a 3-5c decrease in temp in LP53 vs BlackRidge pull
(When it comes to noise, the LP53 wins EASY as that NF-A9x14 is silent at idle.. but this BlackRidge has wind noise even with the NF-A12x15, since it's fins are packed tightly up against the S4M-C side panel)

But... are 3-5c of lower temps worth the price? Only if you don't care about your expendable income... You do the math: $60 Cooler, $250 VLP DDR4, $20 Noctua fan... thats $330 USD for 3-5c, thats an average of $88 USD per each degrees C.

When the non-defective version of this cooler arrives in February, then I'll re-purchase, and test and see if it's any better, but so far, I'm impressed.

And yet someone over at r/sffpc gave me so much snark about suggesting fan direction is important... thanks for vindicating me ha.

palace97

Trash Compacter
Sep 6, 2017
Sorry i didn't realise i needed to be more specific having asked in the s4 mini (classic) thread. I'm talking about the MSI and Gigabyte models which need little to no mods to fit inside the case.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Sorry i didn't realise i needed to be more specific having asked in the s4 mini (classic) thread. I'm talking about the MSI and Gigabyte models which need little to no mods to fit inside the case.
Being specific is generally prefered, especially considering you can fit bigger cards in this case by modifying it. It's just the best way to be helped.

Reactions: Nanook

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
So a few weeks ago, Josh sent me a custom CPU ventplate for my S4M-C...

check it out:

It goes here on the CPU-side:

I'll be using this $14 Amazon Rotary tool and Dremel metal cutting bits:

And I've got my #193 S4M-C all taped up and ready for surgery...

I'll be attempting to make my S4M-C the only S4M-C with all 4 sides vented! (basically making it comparable in airflow to the newer Skyreach S4M). I will be cutting a hole around the inner edge of that Masking tape, and then I will apply the Brushed aluminum Dinoc to the vent plate, cut it to size, and then stick it on with LCDglue..

then I'll be testing the temperature results of the new CPU-side vent!.. Stay Tuned guys!! I'll link you to the update post in my build log once it's ready.

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
Hey guys,

Been having issues (hard resets) playing games on my S4 mini with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700 + Noctua NH l9i
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING LGA1151
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GeForce GTX 1060 6gb SC GAMING Graphics Card
HDPlex 160W + Dell 330-Watt AC Adapter
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
Windows 10 Home

I thought the issue was that my 1060 was pulling too much power for the HDPlex since its factory overclocked, so I have been underclocking it using EVGA's precision XOC, setting the power target between 75-85%, but I can't seem to find a stable setting. It looks like there is a voltage setting as well but I haven't been messing with that.

Anyone with more experience with this type of thing have some advice for me?

I don't play especially graphics intensive games... I've gotten resets just playing Overcooked 2, Starcraft 2, and BioShock Remastered. Been able to play Warcraft 3 with no issues, but I really expected this build to handle everything I've thrown at it so far. GPU temps seem to stay around 50 C.

TIA

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey guys,

Been having issues (hard resets) playing games on my S4 mini with the following specs:

Intel i7-7700 + Noctua NH l9i
Asus ROG STRIX Z270I GAMING LGA1151
G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000
GeForce GTX 1060 6gb SC GAMING Graphics Card
HDPlex 160W + Dell 330-Watt AC Adapter
SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 500GB
Windows 10 Home

I thought the issue was that my 1060 was pulling too much power for the HDPlex since its factory overclocked, so I have been underclocking it using EVGA's precision XOC, setting the power target between 75-85%, but I can't seem to find a stable setting. It looks like there is a voltage setting as well but I haven't been messing with that.

Anyone with more experience with this type of thing have some advice for me?

I don't play especially graphics intensive games... I've gotten resets just playing Overcooked 2, Starcraft 2, and BioShock Remastered. Been able to play Warcraft 3 with no issues, but I really expected this build to handle everything I've thrown at it so far. GPU temps seem to stay around 50 C.

TIA
Could also be your memory settings :)

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Do you have any tips on how to check this? Are there any good guides for the ROG Strix bios / G. Skill memory combo?
Go to your bios and set it to stock speeds. Then test it. XMP profiles aren't always stable, but you can Google how to clock it higher and stably yourself so that it doesn't cause problems.

t_sale

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2018
I am considering purchasing an S4 mini classic from eBay but was wondering if someone could help answer something for me:
Josh has shown on his livestream that the new HDPLEX 400w AC-DC unit can fit in the side of the Skyreach 4 mini case without any issues. KMPKT has mentioned that the AC-DC unit should be able to fit in the side (like Josh demonstrated) with a GPU that has a height of less than 111.15mm or in the front with a length less than 170mm.
I haven't seen any information on whether this is also the case for the mini classic. I believe the gpu area is slightly shorter than the Skyreach, correct? How long of a GPU can fit with the new internal AC-DC unit?
Inno3D has a 2070 with dimensions of 196mmx113mm, suggesting that maybe it could fit with minor modifications and the AC-DC unit on the side?
Or perhaps the Gigabyte 2070 with dimensions of 170mmx121.5mm with the AC-DC unit in the front?
Any thoughts/confirmation would be greatly appreciated!

CARC Mini

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 5, 2018
I am considering purchasing an S4 mini classic from eBay but was wondering if someone could help answer something for me:
Josh has shown on his livestream that the new HDPLEX 400w AC-DC unit can fit in the side of the Skyreach 4 mini case without any issues. KMPKT has mentioned that the AC-DC unit should be able to fit in the side (like Josh demonstrated) with a GPU that has a height of less than 111.15mm or in the front with a length less than 170mm.
I haven't seen any information on whether this is also the case for the mini classic. I believe the gpu area is slightly shorter than the Skyreach, correct? How long of a GPU can fit with the new internal AC-DC unit?
Inno3D has a 2070 with dimensions of 196mmx113mm, suggesting that maybe it could fit with minor modifications and the AC-DC unit on the side?
Or perhaps the Gigabyte 2070 with dimensions of 170mmx121.5mm with the AC-DC unit in the front?
Any thoughts/confirmation would be greatly appreciated!

your measurements are off.

max height to fit on the side of a SkyReach case is 116mm.

and a classic S4 Mini will not work.

you could try a modified SkyReach from ebay.

t_sale

Chassis Packer
Sep 11, 2018
your measurements are off.

max height to fit on the side of a SkyReach case is 116mm.

and a classic S4 Mini will not work.

you could try a modified SkyReach from ebay.

Thanks so much for the confirmation. I've been digging and digging and couldn't find a concrete answer.

Thanks again!

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
So I just swapped out my HDPlex 160W for the 400W version to hopefully solve my hard reset issues.

I’ve got the 400 installed and everything booted up fine but I’m a little concerned about the cord placement. The 24 pin (and part of the 8pin cpu) is jammed so close to the memory I’m worried the memory heatsink could damage the wires over time.

Is this something I should be worried about? See pics below: