S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Discussion in 'NFC' started by Josh | NFC, Jun 12, 2015.

1. CubanLegend

CubanLegend Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man

I dont think they'll overclock to match 4000 MHz lol, I'll probably leave them stock. Thx for the link

Thanks, and yea I still have the old HDPLEX 300, I did glue it with Epoxy, it's in one of my old posts in my build thread in my forum signature, it totally DID reduce coil whine. :)

Thanks @chx How exactly do i make sure I don't buy registered RAM?

Biowarejak likes this.
  2. brt02

brt02 SFF Lingo Aficionado

Timings are pretty slack given the low memory clocks. Interested to see the real world performance implications

3. brt02

Feed it some volts. Most XMP profiles demand 1.35V and a lot of people are fine with pushing 1.45V through Samsung dies for 24/7 operation.

Look for unbuffered RAM in the title / DIMM type. If it says registered then don't buy it as it won't work. The link that @chx posted above only has unbuffered RAM

CubanLegend likes this.
  4. CubanLegend

sweet thanks, I'll grab a pair of 2666 2x8GB sticks, does Single-Sided Single-Rank or Double-sided Dual-Rank matter?

5. Seid Dark

Seid Dark Chassis Packer

After a lot of trial and error (had to clear CMOS multiple times) I managed to overclock Innodisk VLP to 3200MHz. There's a substantial performance improvement. Intel platform would most likely allow higher clocks and/or tighter timings.

Here's an AIDA64 benchmark, stock and overclocked:

[​IMG]

NinoPecorino, CubanLegend and brt02 like this.
  6. brt02

I was watching the livestream haha - have only just seen your post here.

I would just go for the cheapest option. there are small differences. Dual rank might give you better performance, single rank might be easier to overclock.

NinoPecorino and CubanLegend like this.
  7. CubanLegend

#5187 CubanLegend, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    Thanks for the info guys, I may attempt overclocking the RAM later, after I get it and am done running my CPU heatsink thermal tests on the BlackRidge.. if you guys have any recommendation for any information on overclocking these Innodisk VLP sticks, please share!

I ordered 2 of these 8GB sticks, should be here in 4-5 weeks, and now, to sit and wait!:
    [​IMG]

Subtotal $248.00
    Shipping & Handling $9.54
    Grand Total $257.54

If the BlackRidge & NFA12x15 beats my NHL9i and my current LP-56 & NFA9x14... then i'll say this was worth the price! Lowering temps in an S4M-C is like a drug... XD

NinoPecorino, Biowarejak and brt02 like this.
  8. CubanLegend

I just ran this test, my 4000MHz DDR4 (19-23-23-45 CR2) with my 7700k @ 4500MHz, got me:
    Read: 49644 MB/s
    Write: 56790 MB/s
    Copy: 46705 MB/s
    Latency: 43.3 ns

Do you think i could get close to that if I overclock my upcoming 2666 VLP? I've heard that anything past 3200MHz is usually a negligible performance increase in games, DigitalFoundry did a video about memory frequency and I think there was only a handful of games sensitive to frequency.

9. Seid Dark

Seid Dark Chassis Packer

I'm 99% sure you will get better results than me, Z270 is great for RAM overclocking. Your latency will be quite a bit lower than my results, even with the same 3200MHz CL16 settings. High latency is the main issue with AMD Ryzen atm.

On Hardwareluxx forums some have achieved similar results to your current setup: https://www.hardwareluxx.de/communi...cking-ergebnisse-im-startbeitrag-1198323.html

10. palace97

palace97 Caliper Novice

Any1 know when the MSI RTX 2070 mini and the Gigabyte RTX 2070 itx are set to release? I understand the Zotac 2070 mini is released but it won't fit and has no idle fan control so after the other two. Also anyone know if the two fit inside the S4 Mini classic? currently got the MSI aero 1070 itx and that fits perfect with no mods.

11. threestripevida

threestripevida Trash Compacter

I think we all just have to wait and see. I didn’t know that they announced any other mini cards for the new 2000 series. Isn’t the power draw on these cards higher? And it might not be enough for the HDPlex 400w?

12. Zuuk

Zuuk Trash Compacter

2070 should be in the same ballpark as a 1080, if nothing else powerlimit it.

13. palace97

palace97 Caliper Novice

HDPLEX 400 and the 330w dell power brick should be capable of powering the new 2070 mini's, i'm using the (non k variant of the i7 7700 CPU) So my power draw isn't too high anyways

14. threestripevida

threestripevida Trash Compacter

That’s good to know. I’m using a 1080 right now. I wouldn’t be looking to upgrade until next generation though. Hopefully companies continue to make powerful mini versions of GPUs.