S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
Long time lurker on this thread, thought I'd share my recently completed build. Ryzen 1700x, MSI GTX 1070 aero itx, 16gb trident z rgb 3000mhz, Asus ROG strix x470-I, 128gb Adata m.2 boot drive and 1tb WD 7200rpm hdd.

I painted it myself with some spray paint and took my time with sanding and prep. I then did the stripe with pinstriping material and had the tofu shop sticker made at a local vinyl shop. I got very lucky with installing all the parts and didn't require any bit of cutting/modification.
:thumb::oops::thumb:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Couple of questions please :

1. Will an hdplex 400w dc-atx unit fit in an S4M-classic? Using a Zotac 1050. I suppose it could fit in front of the GPU but I'm asking in front of the motherboard so I could put the AC-DC unit in front of the GPU (going for brickless). My gut says it won't work;

2. Barring that - would an HDPLEX 160w dc-atx unit (coupled with the proper ac-dc unit, of course) be sufficient to power an 8350k overclocked to 4.7 (1.315v) and that 1050? If so, problem in question 1 above is solved. My gut here is that it would be fine but want to check as 8350k is 91w;

3. Where does one get a polarized C8 cord?? I know Josh was saying he was ambivalent about the polarized connector because of the confusion it's created - but that bit of info is all that my searches could turn up so far! :)

Much appreciated folks!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Gigahurts

Minimal Tinkerer
Jun 20, 2018
Couple of questions please :

1. Will an hdplex 400w dc-atx unit fit in an S4M-classic? Using a Zotac 1050. I suppose it could fit in front of the GPU but I'm asking in front of the motherboard so I could put the AC-DC unit in front of the GPU (going for brickless). My gut says it won't work;

2. Barring that - would an HDPLEX 160w dc-atx unit (coupled with the proper ac-dc unit, of course) be sufficient to power an 8350k overclocked to 4.7 (1.315v) and that 1050? If so, problem in question 1 above is solved. My gut here is that it would be fine but want to check as 8350k is 91w;

3. Where does one get a polarized C8 cord?? I know Josh was saying he was ambivalent about the polarized connector because of the confusion it's created - but that bit of info is all that my searches could turn up so far! :)

Much appreciated folks!

If you look through my album of pics I just recently posted you will see my hdplex 400w on the motherboard side. Its tight but it works:thumb:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
EDIT : silly me - just a few posts up! Ok, that's good to know!

Now - is there enough horizontal space width-wise to fit an internal ac-dc hdplex unit in front of the GPU? (Assuming a short gpu.)

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Has anyone put a Ryzen 2700x or 2700 in their S4M-c? I'm thinking about getting one of those to replace my 6700k, but I am interested in temps that people are experiencing and what kind of cooling you are using.

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
For people asking about the Cryorig C7 Cu, I have one and can confirm it is exact same dimensions as the non-copper.

They both will fit in the S4, but if you want to create an air gap, you'll want to pop the 15mm attached fan off, and switch it with the 140x13mm Cryorig CR-XTA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IAPV5YW/?tag=theminutiae-20

That fan is a little slimmer and will fit with a slight air gap in an enclosed case. If you trim the metal on the S4-C fan bracket with some tin snips, you can mount the fan over the heatsink by the fan's 120mm spaced holes. Search my older posts with pictures to get an idea.

I'm just using the C7 Copper with its stock fan and no lid on the S4 since I have it VESA mounted up in the air next to my monitor. I have an 8700k, delidded by Silicon Lottery, and I can run all 6 cores at 4800mhz on Prime95 blend without the temps going past 80c. Pretty good!

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Anyone know if the new HDPlex 400W AC-DC brick will fit inside the S4-Mini Classic? If so, what GPU's will be compatible with the remaining space?
ive been away for a while but i still keep up to date with the S4M-C thread... there's finally a new "HDPlex 400W AC-DC"? wow i found it... amazing! Wasnt there a 300W internal AC-DC as well? was that one ever able to fit inside the S4M-C?

Now my question is, can this new 400W AC-DC be paired with the 400W HDPLEX DC-DC or a @guryhwa DC-DC... to fit inside of the "NEWER" S4M?? I'd probably plan my next build around a brickless build like that, with a delidded 8700k and LP53 and the noctua NF-A9x14, alongside a 1080 Ti mini... :) at this point, ive got my 7700k and 1080 mini working fine in my S4M-C so I'll wait for the next gen of CPUs and GPUs before I rebuild in an NFC case. :D

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
ive been away for a while but i still keep up to date with the S4M-C thread... there's finally a new "HDPlex 400W AC-DC"? wow i found it... amazing! Wasnt there a 300W internal AC-DC as well? was that one ever able to fit inside the S4M-C?

Now my question is, can this new 400W AC-DC be paired with the 400W HDPLEX DC-DC or a @guryhwa DC-DC... to fit inside of the "NEWER" S4M?? I'd probably plan my next build around a brickless build like that, with a delidded 8700k and LP53 and the noctua NF-A9x14, alongside a 1080 Ti mini... :) at this point, ive got my 7700k and 1080 mini working fine in my S4M-C so I'll wait for the next gen of CPUs and GPUs before I rebuild in an NFC case. :D
It was designed to fit inside the new one, yes. :p The 300 watt never fit inside the Classic and has been discontinued in lieu of this.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Anyone know if the new HDPlex 400W AC-DC brick will fit inside the S4-Mini Classic? If so, what GPU's will be compatible with the remaining space?

Yes, the new HDPLEX 400 will fit in the S4M. I can't confirm if the hole placement matches up yet until I get my copy, but it is supposed to. It is intended to fit with spec height GPUs that do not have a side connector (like the EVGA 1050ti, MSI 560 Aero, or select Radeon Pro/Quattro cards.) With newer GPUs around the corner, who knows. But now you can have a fast CPU and workstation graphics in a brickless build.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Yes, the new HDPLEX 400 will fit in the S4M. I can't confirm if the hole placement matches up yet until I get my copy, but it is supposed to. It is intended to fit with spec height GPUs that do not have a side connector (like the EVGA 1050ti, MSI 560 Aero, or select Radeon Pro/Quattro cards.) With newer GPUs around the corner, who knows. But now you can have a fast CPU and workstation graphics in a brickless build.

But what about my zotac 1080ti mini?