S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
I don't wanna mod nothin'. I just want to drop the card in.
sorry dude, I have never heard of anybody with an S4M-C did not want to mod anything...

just kidding :D
what power you have?
a year ago 1070's did not fit with the hdplex DC-in... pls find a review from Broxin. MSI Aero still required flipping the DC-in. I myself had an EVGA 1060 before the giga 1080 there but the 1060 is not a huge leap from the 1050ti.

(another solution - yes, with modding - by Josh for the gigabyte cards: video)

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
sorry dude, I have never heard of anybody with an S4M-C did not want to mod anything...

just kidding :D
what power you have?
a year ago 1070's did not fit with the hdplex DC-in... pls find a review from Broxin. MSI Aero still required flipping the DC-in. I myself had an EVGA 1060 before the giga 1080 there but the 1060 is not a huge leap from the 1050ti.

(another solution - yes, with modding - by Josh for the gigabyte cards: video)
I have the HDPlex 400 DC-ATX and a Dell 330W Brick AC-DC

Zero

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 27, 2017
Is this in the classic or in the new version?

Mine is a classic, but I don't see any reason it wouldn't fit the Skyreach. The Skyreach seems to include the same 120mm fan bracket overhanging the CPU, which can have the lips trimmed in order to hold a 140mm slim fan.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Anyone ever burn their hand touching the case during a stress test? During just gaming, my CPU maxes out at 70c, and touching the top of the case (i have the case vertically with the button on top) is painful for more than a few seconds at a time. CPU temps get up to around 85c under full stress test load, and this is just a 65w tdp CPU. I can't imagine some of you with higher TDP CPU's.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Which fan did you use? The noctua 14mm thick one might make it clear?
The C7 fan is also 14mm thick. If I use zip ties to secure the A9x14, it would be even taller. I’ve tried without zip ties, and simply use the side cover to press the fan towards the heatsink. It does work, but the A9x14 fan blades would scrap. If I turn the A9x14 to exhaust, the fan spokes would prevent scraping with the side panel, but now it scraps the heatsink. This is all with quite a bit “squishing” of components. I didn’t like putting this kind of pressure on the motherboard.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Anyone ever burn their hand touching the case during a stress test? During just gaming, my CPU maxes out at 70c, and touching the top of the case (i have the case vertically with the button on top) is painful for more than a few seconds at a time. CPU temps get up to around 85c under full stress test load, and this is just a 65w tdp CPU. I can't imagine some of you with higher TDP CPU's.
Why dont you cut a hole in the top of the case and put some dinoc over it to cover it with some nice skyslots? :) I'm hoping to do that eventually. It would allow the CPU a direct hole for ventilation like it has in the S4M...

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Why dont you cut a hole in the top of the case and put some dinoc over it to cover it with some nice skyslots? :) I'm hoping to do that eventually. It would allow the CPU a direct hole for ventilation like it has in the S4M...

I dont really like the look of a precut cover plate over an empty hole. I'd rather have the skyslots cut directly into the top portion of the back cover, but Josh says this is a no go with the tools he has available.

@Josh | NFC You don't happen to have a CAD friendly file with your trademarked skyslots used for the opposite (bottom when vertical) that you could share, so i could take it to a 3rd party to have it cut?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I dont really like the look of a precut cover plate over an empty hole. I'd rather have the skyslots cut directly into the top portion of the back cover, but Josh says this is a no go with the tools he has available.

@Josh | NFC You don't happen to have a CAD friendly file with your trademarked skyslots used for the opposite (bottom when vertical) that you could share, so i could take it to a 3rd party to have it cut?
Beleive me, I asked Josh about cutting skyslots in that top portion directly.. his solution was the same one he offered you, he doesn't have the tools to cut that side of the case in such a way with skyslots, but if we cut a hole ourselves, a dinoc cover thats been cut with skyslots should work fine. :) Just like the GPU hole and DINOC skyslots on the front of my S4M-C

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

I could do this for you, but the thing is you will need to find a large five axis machine with a special fixture to hold that part being that it is bent the way it is...there isn't a waterjet other laser I know of with a Z axis tall enough to do it fixture less.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I could do this for you, but the thing is you will need to find a large five axis machine with a special fixture to hold that part being that it is bent the way it is...there isn't a waterjet other laser I know of with a Z axis tall enough to do it fixture less.

How about a picture file i could print out. Then at least i'll have the right size/shape, and i'll just have to figure out a way to mark the case with some sort of cutout made from a printed sheet, and cut within the marked lines... Maybe start out with 2x drill holes per skyslot, then spend a ton of time with a hand file to grind down the rest of the hole to shape.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How about a picture file i could print out. Then at least i'll have the right size/shape, and i'll just have to figure out a way to mark the case with some sort of cutout made from a printed sheet, and cut within the marked lines... Maybe start out with 2x drill holes per skyslot, then spend a ton of time with a hand file to grind down the rest of the hole to shape.

Sure—you can download the SkySkin template on my website and figure out how many slots look good to you. You could even buy one and use it as a template for a sharpie. Does this work?

Peace

eme

Trash Compacter
May 14, 2017

+1
7900x (dynatron r15)+1080ti. I moved bigger case. While everething worked well but lack of airflow made case itself very very hot.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015

This is normal. No way around it if it bothers you unfortunately. The entire case is metal AKA a giant heatsink.

+1
7900x (dynatron r15)+1080ti.

Holy moly. A braver man than I.

Last edited:

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
I rebuilt a system recently and didn't want to deal with detachable antennas anymore so I tried something different:

I mounted the antennas under the frame where the fan bracket would normally attach to near the vent holes. Nice and clean and hidden. Not really scientific, but it seems to work just fine with wifi and an Xbox controller in bluetooth mode. Just in case anyone wanted to try something similar and was wondering if it was possible (it is). Still love this case.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAV4Z2O/?tag=theminutiae-20
How tall is that cooler? Also, what is that cooler! The internal antennas are a great idea as well

Broxin

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 16, 2017
I rebuilt a system recently and didn't want to deal with detachable antennas anymore so I tried something different:

I mounted the antennas under the frame where the fan bracket would normally attach to near the vent holes. Nice and clean and hidden. Not really scientific, but it seems to work just fine with wifi and an Xbox controller in bluetooth mode. Just in case anyone wanted to try something similar and was wondering if it was possible (it is). Still love this case.

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MAV4Z2O/?tag=theminutiae-20
Nice. How did you attach the antennas? On the strix board there are none of those micro connectors

Reactions: Biowarejak

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
There are @Broxin . It should be hidden inside the i/o shroud of the wifi antenna.

Which brings me to @ceski ... how hard is it to remove it? Is it irreversible? Like, do I have to snip it? It does feel foil-y...

Edit: did you try measuring the gains after the mod? How much db loss?

Reactions: Biowarejak