S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Will this require cutting to make the C6 fit?

Hello, LFO!

I'm really excited to eliminate confusion regarding the S4M and AC entry modules.

The S4M has a cutout for a specific C8 connector--the Schurter I sell on my website. There are dozens of C8 connectors that will not fit in the S4M.

What this means is that there may be a C6 connector out there that fits in this aperture without cutting or filing. It is up to the end users to download my 3D model, and download the 3D model or dimensions for the connector plug, and see if it fits.

I have never meant to indicate that the C8 connector is the only means of getting AC into the S4M. There are dozens, if not scores of options. The cutouts and mounting slots on the back of the S4M accommodate many different methods--G Unique employs three different means, as an example.

The method I have been using, and have videos of me using, are aviation connectors. The GX16 connector is beefy enough to handle high wattage, and I sell that on my website. The GX12 connector which I can also sell for convenience if people want can be used without any modification to the MINI, and you can use it as a grounded AC entry module.

But again, there are tons of different options for grounded "AC Entry Modules", some of which require zero modding. I included the cutout at the request of forum members who were doing this, but it has stirred up confusion for newbies. C6 is one style, but Mouser or Digikey is your oyster.

Peace my friends. :)

Reactions: bran and Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hi @Josh | NFC !
I would really, really like to get my hands on a s4m classic, any way to order one still? ;D
Wrong thread buddy, and you'll probably be waiting awhile for a new batch. You can always scope out the buy/sell/trade forum, they pop up from time to time.

-edit-

Sorry I just woke up, this is definitely the S4M-C thread

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

LFO

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 23, 2018
@Josh | NFC Thank you for your input and clearing up the confusion. Currently I'm waiting on the 400 HDPLEX AC/DC before I can complete my build. With your info I think my power connection dilemma is solved now, I decided to modify the included C14 with a GX16-3 connector and a sleeved power cable.

Thx!

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
@Josh | NFC Would it be possible to get a custom female mini gpu fan header to 2x male 4pin fan headers? Super short, so as to fit 2x 92mm noctua fans over a zotac 1080 mini? Also, die'd black cables would be cool too. :)

arjan2856

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2018
Yes, the new HDPLEX 400 will fit in the S4M. I can't confirm if the hole placement matches up yet until I get my copy, but it is supposed to. It is intended to fit with spec height GPUs that do not have a side connector (like the EVGA 1050ti, MSI 560 Aero, or select Radeon Pro/Quattro cards.) With newer GPUs around the corner, who knows. But now you can have a fast CPU and workstation graphics in a brickless build.

Since this power supply is meant for this case as also stated on the HDPLEX website, it's a shame that any GPU card that can use this 400W power won't fit due to the power socket position on all those cards. It's most likely the new GPU's coming out will have a similar power socket location. A lower 300W power supply could have been shorter maybe leaving enough space to fit the power cable. I think brick-less builds will become more popular and therefor a solution for such an internal power supply together with higher powered GPU's then the 1050ti is most wanted. Maybe the case should become just 2cm wider to accommodate this.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Since this power supply is meant for this case as also stated on the HDPLEX website, it's a shame that any GPU card that can use this 400W power won't fit due to the power socket position on all those cards. It's most likely the new GPU's coming out will have a similar power socket location. A lower 300W power supply could have been shorter maybe leaving enough space to fit the power cable. I think brick-less builds will become more popular and therefor a solution for such an internal power supply together with higher powered GPU's then the 1050ti is most wanted. Maybe the case should become just 2cm wider to accommodate this.

I understand your disappointment, and I'm also kinda bummed at the OVER hype(ment?) that occured around this PSU.

This power supply was meant to replace the HDPLEX 160 and provide more headroom and be more stable, so it really was a fantastic upgrade. I would encourage people to look at it from that perspective.

I know I didn't help things here by accidentally posting in the S4M-C thread, but this PSU or the HDPLEX 160 doesn't really fit in the S4M-C anyway. The HDPLEX 160 can be MADE to fit in the S4M-C with a 1050ti, but its not drop-in friendly. Same for the HDPLEX 400...you can fit it in with a Geforce 1080 mini, but its not drop-in friendly. Even if it did fit inside the case with no mods, it would probably overheat and not be able to power the 1080 anyway.

Eventually there will be power solutions for these cases but right now I'm happy that we have three times better solutions than we did just a few months ago. The sad thing is everytime HDPLEX or someone comes up with something new and way better everyone gets more upset rather than happy. :(

Peace

arjan2856

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2018
I understand your disappointment, and I'm also kinda bummed at the OVER hype(ment?) that occured around this PSU.

This power supply was meant to replace the HDPLEX 160 and provide more headroom and be more stable, so it really was a fantastic upgrade. I would encourage people to look at it from that perspective.

I know I didn't help things here by accidentally posting in the S4M-C thread, but this PSU or the HDPLEX 160 doesn't really fit in the S4M-C anyway. The HDPLEX 160 can be MADE to fit in the S4M-C with a 1050ti, but its not drop-in friendly. Same for the HDPLEX 400...you can fit it in with a Geforce 1080 mini, but its not drop-in friendly. Even if it did fit inside the case with no mods, it would probably overheat and not be able to power the 1080 anyway.

Eventually there will be power solutions for these cases but right now I'm happy that we have three times better solutions than we did just a few months ago. The sad thing is everytime HDPLEX or someone comes up with something new and way better everyone gets more upset rather than happy. :(

Peace

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply. I was actually talking about the Skyreach 4 mini as i saw those renders. Maybe the moderator can move these posts to the correct thread.

Don't worry, i don't think many are actually disappointed with the HDPLEX 400W, it's a great option for a 1050ti. And it seems to fit beautifully in the Skyreach mini. :cool: Maybe for a future revision it would just be great to get that little extra space for the GPU power connection so 1060's and 1070's becoming an option. 1080's ok might be pushing it a bit too far heat wise :eek:

takshaka

Case Bender
New User
Oct 23, 2017
Hi, I am close to building out my S4M-C. Parts list here. Just wondering if anyone sees any glaring issues?

I am hoping to position the S4M-C horizontally with feet. Any concerns with temps using the MSI GTX 1060 AERO ITX 6G OC with S4M-C horizontal?
Thanks!

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Hi, I am close to building out my S4M-C. Parts list here. Just wondering if anyone sees any glaring issues?

I am hoping to position the S4M-C horizontally with feet. Any concerns with temps using the MSI GTX 1060 AERO ITX 6G OC with S4M-C horizontal?
Thanks!
I literally came here to ask if the MSI GTX 1060 Aero ITX 6G OC will fit in the S4M-C

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I literally came here to ask if the MSI GTX 1060 Aero ITX 6G OC will fit in the S4M-C
If it is the same dimensions as the 1070 Aero, then it will fit but only after cutting out a ~0.5 square cm out of the upper-right portion of the shroud.

Not really a difficult or noticeable mod, but a mod nonetheless.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
I have a MSI 1060 aero itx and it has a smaller shroud and fan than the 1070 it sounds like it would fit without modding.

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
Let me ask this question, then. What is the beefiest graphics card I can put in my S4M-C without modding the card in any way and while keeping the wrap around bezel on my case. I currently have a Zotac GTX 1050ti mini. I would like 6GB's or even 8GB's.

rokabeka

network packet manipulator
Jul 9, 2016
Let me ask this question, then. What is the beefiest graphics card I can put in my S4M-C without modding the card in any way and while keeping the wrap around bezel on my case. I currently have a Zotac GTX 1050ti mini. I would like 6GB's or even 8GB's.
gigabyte aourus 1080 (from the external box ) fits for sure. most likely the only difference is the fan itself compared to the regular giga aorus 1080.
still requires modding: the DC-in plug of the Mini needs to go somewhere else or replaced/modded, because the gpu is too high. but you can keep the bezel and not touching the card.
EDIT: and of course, the GPU you can use also depends on the DC-DC you have. previously I used a hdplex300 and I had to reduce the power consumption of the card to 120W. now with the hdplex400 the 1080 is unlimited

Last edited:

m_power20

Trash Compacter
May 16, 2017
gigabyte aourus 1080 (from the external box ) fits for sure. most likely the only difference is the fan itself compared to the regular giga aorus 1080.
still requires modding: the DC-in plug of the Mini needs to go somewhere else or replaced/modded, because the gpu is too high. but you can keep the bezel and not touching the card.
EDIT: and of course, the GPU you can use also depends on the DC-DC you have. previously I used a hdplex300 and I had to reduce the power consumption of the card to 120W. now with the hdplex400 the 1080 is unlimited
I don't wanna mod nothin'. I just want to drop the card in.