S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
new z270 mobos for itx are coming! what you guys think of the new ones?
I'm hyped, the new ASUS Z270i Mini-ITX has TWO M.2 slots on the back of the motherboard! :D

Although it seemed to have dropped the PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard slot and 1 usb 2.0 slot for a usb 2.0 and usb 3.1 type-c connector in it's place. :) Can't wait for it to release!

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I can't see any of the characteristic screwholes on the frontside for the rear-mounted standoffs m.2 needs.

Reactions: mtl171

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Where did you see that? Not doubting, just curious.
From the ASUS Press Release a few hours ago: https://rog.asus.com/articles/maxim...est-maximus-ix-and-strix-gaming-motherboards/

"Obviously, there’s more to a PC build than just overclocking – storage also matters. As stated earlier, the Strix Z270I, features two M.2 slots. One at the front of the board, and another at the rear. The front-facing slot sits below the CPU socket, adjacent to the PCH, and features a double-decker heatsink that cools both the PCH and the M.2 drive. The M.2 portion of the heatsink is thermally isolated from the PCH, to avoid negative influence over temperatures. Final drive temps will, of course, depend on ambient temps, but a good mini-ITX chassis with reasonable airflow should be sufficient to keep temperatures well below throttling point."

You can actually see the little mini heat-sink for the front-facing M.2 Slot is below the CPU slot and above the PCI-E slot. :D

This is awesome! I had just ordered a 7700k a few hours ago (in stock on Amazon) and I had jumped on the old ASUS Z170, but quickly dropped it from my Amazon Cart after I saw the Z270i STRIX Press Release... 2x M.2 SLOTS!? I mean... on a Mini-ITX board? This is great! BUT ITS FREAKING AMAZING FOR S4-Mini owners! Now I don't need to buy an SSD at all. Just save up a bit a wait for my tax money to come in, and buy a nice 2nd M.2 PCI-E Intel 600p. I am just so hyped right now. This and the new 300W HDPLEX, and the possibility of a ZOTAC-1080-mini fitting in the S4 are just such big news for my S4 build!

Last edited:

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Interesting. Either it's another M-keyed slot on the rear in the same place as the front (and sharing the same standoffs), or the 'rear' they are referring to is 'towards the rear' (i.e. near the I/O) and they're cheekily referring to the vertical A/E-keyed slot for the WiFi module (hidden under the shield) as the second m.2 slot.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Interesting. Either it's another M-keyed slot on the rear in the same place as the front (and sharing the same standoffs), or the 'rear' they are referring to is 'towards the rear' (i.e. near the I/O) and they're cheekily referring to the vertical A/E-keyed slot for the WiFi module (hidden under the shield) as the second m.2 slot.
Interesting point, Although I doubt ASUS would iterate on a motherboard vfor enthusiast by adding a front-facing M.2 while removing the rear-facing M.2 with "cheeky descriptions".

I doubt it, but you've got a point that we have yet to see the rear of the motherboard, to know for sure. Hopefully these are reviewed soon. I can't wait! Knowing that my current build will finally be put to rest after 10 years of use for a new build to last me at least 5 year, is exhilarating!

Nimikins

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2017
Those new mobos are sexy!

Question for the group, I just found some 220W dell power supplies that have an 8 pin molex connector on the DC end. I was wanting to put a i5-7600 and a 1070 mini in the s4, but I'm pretty sure that I would either have to grab two of them or mod them in some way for enough power. What do you guys think?

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I think you'll need more power. Get a Dell 330 and you'll be fine.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Just a thought for guys looking to put 1070/1080's in there S4's that are worried about overheating their SSD's. You could potentially grab an m.2 to SATA adapter, or remove an SSD from its casing and mount it directly to the front bezel of the case.

Reactions: Phuncz

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
I'm hyped, the new ASUS Z270i Mini-ITX has TWO M.2 slots on the back of the motherboard! :D

Although it seemed to have dropped the PS/2 Mouse/Keyboard slot and 1 usb 2.0 slot for a usb 2.0 and usb 3.1 type-c connector in it's place. :) Can't wait for it to release!
Thats definitely my top choice mobo so far. Though I am a little sad about the lack of thunderbolt 3/usb c (though it somehow made it onto the asrock fatal1ty). Lack of thunderbolt aside, it looks great and it checks off all my other requirements

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net

Thats definitely my top choice mobo so far. Though I am a little sad about the lack of thunderbolt 3/usb c (though it somehow made it onto the asrock fatal1ty). Lack of thunderbolt aside, it looks great and it checks off all my other requirements
ASUS Just updated the Z270i STRIX (Mini-ITX) Landing page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-Strix-Z270I-Gaming/overview/

This confirms the USB-3.oType C support, the USB 3.1 front-panel header, and the dual M.2 PCIE slots (one on rear & one on front of motherboard):

Last edited: