S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I really hope its shorter. The whole removing heatsinks and potentially modding a expensive graphics makes me nervous.
Luckily you don't have to! The heatsink is exactly 200mm long, the only thing you need to remove is the fans and the shroud. The fans can be replace by a thin 120mm fan easily with the S4 mini :D

EDIT: nvm, thought we are talking about the 1070 :D

Last edited:

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
A bit of an odd question. I looked on the S4-mini purchase page and product page and I can't seem to find what is the exact amount of mm in z-height for an SSD that it can fit (with a gigabyte 1070mini installed too).

Im considering if I can fit 2x 2.5inch laptop SSHDs on the SSD bracket, they are 2TB Seagate Firecuda's that are 7mm tall.
BUT, can i fit a 9.5mm or 15mm tall 2.5 inch laptop HDD too?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
A bit of an odd question. I looked on the S4-mini purchase page and product page and I can't seem to find what is the exact amount of mm in z-height for an SSD that it can fit (with a gigabyte 1070mini installed too).

Im considering if I can fit 2x 2.5inch laptop SSHDs on the SSD bracket, they are 2TB Seagate Firecuda's that are 7mm tall.
BUT, can i fit a 9.5mm or 15mm tall 2.5 inch laptop HDD too?

The official answer is 7mm drives are compatible.

The unofficial enthusiast at your own risk answer is It depends on alot of things--how you install the card, ribbon cable, some cards aren't perfectly square and sit higher toward the front of the chassis...

With my new ribbon cable I would say you probably could fit 9mm drives with clearance...maybe even a 15mm laptop drive with plastic backing in some installs ( like this 1050ti build I have sitting in front of me).

As far as HEAT goes....the back of the 1070 MINI gets to be outrageously hot. It doesn't throttle or anything, but I think it would cook a spinning drive. With drives over it, I'm not sure. I wouldn't recommend it, but would I try it as a enthusiast? If I had a need sure.

Hope this was a little helpful...

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
The official answer is 7mm drives are compatible.

With my new ribbon cable I would say you probably could fit 9mm drives with clearance...maybe even a 15mm laptop drive with plastic backing in some installs ( like this 1050ti build I have sitting in front of me).

As far as HEAT goes....the back of the 1070 MINI gets to be outrageously hot. It doesn't throttle or anything, but I think it would cook a spinning drive. With drives over it, I'm not sure. I wouldn't recommend it, but would I try it as a enthusiast? If I had a need sure.

Hope this was a little helpful...

I see, thanks for the insight. I do have a risky choice to make, lol. I do plan on that 1070mini to be in there, but I also really wanted to have 2x 2.5inch 7mm Laptop SSHDs in there or at least 1 2.5inch 15mm 5TB laptop HDD...

Do you make a custom bracket that can mount an SSD in place of the 120mm fan brackets on the GPU side, and on the motherboard side? This way I avoid mounting thicker mechanical 2.5 drives right next to the superhot PCB of a GPUBoosting 1070mini (and a future 1080mini if it fits), lol.

EDIT: Also on a sidenote. I noticed something when browsing the HDPLEX site. They seemed to have updated the 250W HDPLEX with a 300W model, that can peak at 400W!? WOW... is that what you were talking about the HDPLEX being replaced by something a little beefier? I'm now considering one of those modded G-unique 400W/450peak power bricks (which is basically a modded Dell 330W).

Last edited:

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
I'm thinking..since the front bezel is so thick, what if a relief was cut in it to give the tiny bit of extra clearance for the 1080's heatsink?
scrap or mod the shroud, and don't cut through the bezel, just a little relief on the inside face.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Luckily you don't have to! The heatsink is exactly 200mm long, the only thing you need to remove is the fans and the shroud. The fans can be replace by a thin 120mm fan easily with the S4 mini :D

EDIT: nvm, thought we are talking about the 1070 :D
That was my original plan :D though I thought you had to pop off the heat sink to access the gpu fan header

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm thinking..since the front bezel is so thick, what if a relief was cut in it to give the tiny bit of extra clearance for the 1080's heatsink?
scrap or mod the shroud, and don't cut through the bezel, just a little relief on the inside face.

he Bezel is about 5mm thick, and it is 203mm to the bezel. I'll let you guys figure the rest out. XD

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Cut a hole and mount one of these for a little extra space and ventilation IMO

http://www.caselabs-store.com/flex-bay-covers-pricing-varies/

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I remember seeing a case mod (must have been almost a decade ago at this point) where someone cut a hole in the front of his case to allow the end of his graphics card to stick out the front. It actually didn't look terrible, and allowed him to fit a full length graphics card in a fairly shallow case. It's always an option if you don't mind the aesthetics.

EDIT: here is the case mod i was thinking of. http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx208/rxtrom/IMG_0201.jpg

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd just dremel out a hole that is 2-3 mm too small then file it out. Probably score the aluminum on the inside of the bezel by tracing the cover with something sharp to make sure everything is dead on before you start cutting.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Is the pass through hole in the inner case large enough to have a GPU poke through?