S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
My stand I'm not ready to display yet, but it is for the horizontal orientation not the vertical. The S4 MINI was designed to stand securely on its own vertically so I haven't come up with a stand yet for it.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
1080 mod time to fit in s4 mini 8.2" .2" to long but josh called a mini 1080 would be nice
I thought that was the length of the Zotac 1070 mini. According to the source on Anandtech, the 1080 mini is based off a design and will be about 6.7". Should fit fine assuming that its not too tall.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Doesn't look tall. Very little of the board is above the bracket which is standard height. If they keep the board to 170mm I'll be amazed. I'm glad at least one of the manufacturers took a crack at this.

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
Doesn't look tall. Very little of the board is above the bracket which is standard height. If they keep the board to 170mm I'll be amazed. I'm glad at least one of the manufacturers took a crack at this.
Hope the length is right. Doesn't seem like there's any way to shave off extra length short of cutting down the heat sink itself.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I reckon you could dremel the shroud and fins back to the last heatpipe without compromising function of the card. That would definitely get it down to the necessary length.

Fabien3DArt

Case Bender
Jan 1, 2017
Hello there,
I am a little noob concerning SFF, but very interested. I plan to make one to replace an asus rog laptop, until now I stopped my choice on a Fractal node 202, but if I could have a lighter and tiny case with this Zotac 1080 mini, my back will be grateful ^^.
I have a little question, even if the 1080 fit the S4 mini case, what about power supply ?
I guess we need 180W (GTX 1080) + 65W (for a good i7 6700) so let's say minimum 300W ? I am curious to see how you handle that, I read that you could only put pico alim ?
I am also curious about the 1070 inside this case.
Last but not least, where can I buy this case in France, I can't find it; maybe in UK ?

Thanks

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hello, Fabien, and welcome to the forum!

The Zotac 1080 is a little long without mods, and inside the Node 202 or S4 MINI it is going to be quite hot, though if you do the bezel mod on the MINI you have the best chance of cooling it.

As for power, the HDPLEX + Dell 330 is more than enough to run a 1080 all day, every day in my experience. I've only done one 1080 system with an HDPLEX, but I have done many 1070 systems at this point and all is good. It uses less juice than the 970 systems of last year and they have survived.

As far as availability, I ship literally worldwide, but it would ship from my house. It's not a mass produced case or anything like that.

You can check out this video to see a 1080 running off a HDPLEX and the wattage it draws under load.

Peace!

Reactions: FAQBytes

Fabien3DArt

Case Bender
Jan 1, 2017
Hi Josh,
Thanks a lot for your quick answer, I am glad to be here ^^.
So I don't know exactly what mean Bezel mod, but objectively you say if the 1080 fit on this case the S4 or node 202, with bezel mod, is totally doable ? or it won't worth, without burn my desk or making noise that's make my wife crazy.
To be more precise I am a 3d artist working on video game, I don't have much time to play them, but I run Unreal engine and VR application so the more powerful my computer is the more I am happy ^^.

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
I thought that was the length of the Zotac 1070 mini. According to the source on Anandtech, the 1080 mini is based off a design and will be about 6.7". Should fit fine assuming that its not too tall.

I believe the Anandtech article was just saying that the card would be a little longer than the 6.7" mITX spec.

From the article:
The cooling system seems to be a little longer than the one used on the ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1070 Mini, but the whole graphics adapter is barely longer than 17 cm (6.7”) specified by the Mini-ITX spec.

FreezingCode

Chassis Packer
Jun 4, 2016
Hello, Fabien, and welcome to the forum!

The Zotac 1080 is a little long without mods, and inside the Node 202 or S4 MINI it is going to be quite hot, though if you do the bezel mod on the MINI you have the best chance of cooling it.

Peace!

What is the bezel mod? I've got an HDPLEX 250w on order, S4 Mini on order (was in this past Nov. preorder), and a Dell 330W brick already delivered.. so I'm currently shopping GPU's. I was thinking of going with the GTX 1060... would you recommend the bezel mod for a GTX 1060 build? Not certain on CPU's yet. Since it's so close to Ryzen, I'm probably going to wait and see what all SKU's are available there (hoping details are announced at CES). Otherwise it'll likely be a reasonably high end i5 or i7 non-K part.

Thanks

mtl171

Average Stuffer
Nov 22, 2016
What is the bezel mod? I've got an HDPLEX 250w on order, S4 Mini on order (was in this past Nov. preorder), and a Dell 330W brick already delivered.. so I'm currently shopping GPU's. I was thinking of going with the GTX 1060... would you recommend the bezel mod for a GTX 1060 build? Not certain on CPU's yet. Since it's so close to Ryzen, I'm probably going to wait and see what all SKU's are available there (hoping details are announced at CES). Otherwise it'll likely be a reasonably high end i5 or i7 non-K part.

Thanks
The S4 mini has a solid brushed aluminum finish bezel which covers the front of the case, the top and part of the back. Removing the bezel allows for better airflow to certain parts of the case. Others have attempted 1060 builds without removing the bezel and the temperatures seem fine.