S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
whoa, please try this tonight and provide pictures in an s4 mini, could be a game changer if it works

Are there any ultra low profile DDR4 sticks yet? I really miss that in DDR3. But yeah, that cooler looks far too tall to fit in the S4 MINI. But maybe with a custom side panel it could look pretty neato :)

Reactions: CubanLegend

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@CubanLegend it comes with the fan clips and thermal paste.
sweet! Mine should arrive in the beginning of December... :( But the two slim 120 fans, the prolimatech and the Noctua should be here by thursday, lol.

Nexus Low 7000 R2 is 45mm in height (without top fan). Cooljag Falcon II is the same (but copper base, no heatpipe direct touch)
45mm, so it BARELY fits inside the S4 mini, nice! with like 5mm of gap between the top of the heatsink and teh side panel it seems, I'd still like a test fit on a z270i and temp tests from @ceski first though.

And Yup, I saw that here in this post on [H]ardOCP's DAN-A4 Forum Thread and it seems it was rebranded after NEXUS discontinued it? Actually no, the Cooljag Falcon II is the same as the NEXUS LOW-7000 (non-R2 version). I don't know the difference between the non-R2 and R2 version.
Yes, but they're typically targeted at the server market and are DDR4-2400 ECC unbuffered. I use some in my Ryzen L4 build.

Also, Innodisk is releasing VLP DDR4-2666 non-ECC with Samsung IC any day now. I was lucky enough to get a chance to order some so I'll try to share some results when they arrive.
Where can I order some 2x16GB or 2x8GB of that DDR4-2666 non-ECC ram with Samsung IC? How much will it cost me? :D

Last edited:

Aki

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 9, 2016
Yes, but they're typically targeted at the server market and are DDR4-2400 ECC unbuffered. I use some in my Ryzen L4 build.

Also, Innodisk is releasing VLP DDR4-2666 non-ECC with Samsung IC any day now. I was lucky enough to get a chance to order some so I'll try to share some results when they arrive.

How did you order them? Would be really interested.

Reactions: CubanLegend

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
how did he get that fan under the nexus cooler? did he have to do some cutting or am I just retarded?

NoSk0pz

Average Stuffer
Apr 3, 2017
I finished my "brickless" build the other day (shout out to @Kmpkt for the inspiration!). I used a GX16-4 plug to run power. I want to run some more tests, but everything seemed stable during benchmarks and an hour of Witcher 3. Josh, you designed one hell of a case. I'm extremely impressed with the build quality.

Some phone pics:

Specs:

Intel G4560
Noctua L9i Cooler
ASRock H270M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151
MSI 1050Ti Low Profile
Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 SSD
HDPLEX 160w AC-DC + 160w DC-ATX

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
If we're posting unicorn coolers, I should pull this back out some day and try to fit it in the S4 Mini:

also, now im even more confused, thats an AM4 board but it doesnt say its compatible with the am4 mount? Did you custom make a mounting plate?

Reactions: Biowarejak

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
@slimjim @CubanLegend

I found the Nexus cooler in storage and quickly did some test fits. I haven't done any thermal tests yet. Believe it or not, the Nexus cooler fits in the S4 Mini just fine for both Intel and AMD CPUs, although the taller height of the Ryzen chip/heatspreader makes for a closer fit. Compatibility for this cooler is entirely dependent upon the motherboard layout and the size of the fan you place under the heatsink. The Nexus cooler includes AM3 mounting brackets that work just fine with the AM4 brackets that are included with every AM4 (Ryzen) motherboard. If you want to rotate the cooler 90 degrees, you can also use the Thermalright AM4 mounting kit. Strange, but awesome. Intel CPUs work fine too with the brackets included with the cooler. Credit to @dondan for discovering this cooler.

interesting, thank you for the fitment photos! this is great news! Were you able to rotate it 90 degrees on the Z370i so that the fins are parallel to the RAM? I can't wait for some thermal tests! I might just have to order one of these too, where can i get one?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@slimjim @CubanLegend

I found the Nexus cooler in storage and quickly did some test fits. I haven't done any thermal tests yet. Believe it or not, the Nexus cooler fits in the S4 Mini just fine for both Intel and AMD CPUs, although the taller height of the Ryzen chip/heatspreader makes for a closer fit. Compatibility for this cooler is entirely dependent upon the motherboard layout and the size of the fan you place under the heatsink. The Nexus cooler includes AM3 mounting brackets that work just fine with the AM4 brackets that are included with every AM4 (Ryzen) motherboard. If you want to rotate the cooler 90 degrees, you can also use the Thermalright AM4 mounting kit. Strange, but awesome. Intel CPUs work fine too with the brackets included with the cooler. Credit to @dondan for discovering this cooler.

slimjim

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 5, 2017
There's a few ways to mount the fan, the easiest is to reattach the fan brackets that come with the cooler as pictured here.

Awesome, so I just ordered the cooljag falcon variant from frozen cpu and it comes with intel brackets only it looks like - should I contact them directly and ask if they have any amd brackets or could i get by with simply using the thermalright kit?

Reactions: Biowarejak