S4 Mini #131 - Spring Cleaning

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Or it shuts itself down due to a shor-circuit detection. I'd contact HDPlex so they can' figure it out.

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Or it shuts itself down due to a shor-circuit detection. I'd contact HDPlex so they can' figure it out.
@Phuncz I really appreciate the help. I have been in contact with HD plex as well to figure it out. I checked all the wiring and everything seems to line up properly as far as polarity is concerned (V+ vs V-). I am not an electrician but the yellow wires from the HD plex line up with all the other yellow wires from the extension cable and 4-din adapter. Could it be than Mean well use a different pin out on the plug assignment?

Please correct me if I am wrong but the meanwell brick seems to output +V on pin 1,4 and -V on pin 2,3 (specs here). Whereas the 4pin miniDIN to miniFIT-JR adadpter (photo) have the yellow wires on pin 2,1 and black wires on pin 3,4. What are your thoughts? I am going to buy a cheap multimeter today to check the brick voltage just in case. I really want to use this brick ! It seems good quality!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
In either case it's best to have HDPlex take a look at the problem first. What could be wrong, I don't have a clue, I don't have the knowledge to answer that.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
The 4pin miniDIN to miniFIT-JR adadpter (photo) have the yellow wires on pin 2,1 and black wires on pin 3,4 and this is what is used with the ATS200T-P120 from mini-box. If you read through the specs sheet it seems like the assignment is +V on pin 1,2 and -V on pin 3,4 (which matches the adpator) but then again the meanwell brick has a different pin out as mentioned in my previous post. I think this is useful info for those wanting to build with a meanwell GST series brick and HD plex. I think my brick shuts down because it detects a short circuit. FYI I am a strength and conditioning coach so I am obviously not going to risk anything! and I also might be completely wrong! I wish HD plex could look into this or someone with a better understanding. @Thehack maybe?

Reactions: Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The 4pin miniDIN to miniFIT-JR adadpter (photo) have the yellow wires on pin 2,1 and black wires on pin 3,4 and this is what is used with the ATS200T-P120 from mini-box. If you read through the specs sheet it seems like the assignment is +V on pin 1,2 and -V on pin 3,4 (which matches the adpator) but then again the meanwell brick has a different pin out as mentioned in my previous post. I think this is useful info for those wanting to build with a meanwell GST series brick and HD plex. I think my brick shuts down because it detects a short circuit. FYI I am a strength and conditioning coach so I am obviously not going to risk anything! and I also might be completely wrong! I wish HD plex could look into this or someone with a better understanding. @Thehack maybe?

It does seem like you have shorted it.

Pins 1 and 4 needs to be yellow, and pins 2 and 3 needs to be black.

And yes, the Meanwell does shut down because it detected a short circuit. I say that from personal experience, but with a different PSU. :D It should work fine once you fix the pin out.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
It does seem like you have shorted it.

Pins 1 and 4 needs to be yellow, and pins 2 and 3 needs to be black.

And yes, the Meanwell does shut down because it detected a short circuit. I say that from personal experience, but with a different PSU. :D It should work fine once you fix the pin out.

Thank you @Thehack ! I ordered a Kycon KPJX-PM-4S DC power connector from mouser to solder it to the end of my HD plex cable. I tried to reassign the pins on the adapter that I already have but that required too much bending/twisting of the short rigid cables and well ... things are too loose now so I am starting from scratch. I hope that will do the trick. If not I will just with the miniBox piso psu 160w + 192w brick.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Sorry I haven't been updating the log. But this is my final build for my daily SFF home office computer. I ditched the 2.5" drives for a MyDigitalSSD NVMe MLC SSD (240GB). Go Away SATA/POWER cables! This tiny drive is blazing fast! Now I have so much room for a meanwell psu in there. Just wondering when I will eventually go brick less.

i3-6100
MSI B150I GAMING PRO AC
Noctua NH-L9i
2x4 GB DDR4-2400 MHZ
MyDigitalSSD NVMe MLC SSD (240GB)
Zotac GTX 1050 Ti
Pico 160XT + 192W Adaptor