S4 Mini #131 - Spring Cleaning

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Ok, I am extremely busy and only have a little bit of time during weekends to work on this. I am a full time teacher/coach and my goal is to complete this project by the end of the school year going into summer ...

This is what I am doing with my current multi-purpose setup: gaming @ Dell 25" 1440p (25%) and web/office work (75%).

Fractal Design S (2x GT AP13; 1x Bequiet 140 mm)
I5-4670k
Thermalright Le Grand Macho (w/ Noctua F12)
Asus Z87-Pro
16 GB DDR3 1600
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB
Asus GTX 970
Corsair AX760 760W 80+ Platinum

Almost all this stuff is going to be re-purposed into a gaming only rig (Thermaltake Core G3) hooked up to a 49" Samsung KS8000 in the same room. (I also have a PS4 Pro ;) for Fifa 17, Uncharted 4 and waiting for the next Last of us) which means my desktop office/gaming machine has to be build from scratch and this is what I have gathered so far:

S4 Mini
HDplex 160W (old model)
HP 230W Brick

On a side project I have a a living room HTPC for just basic streaming and movies in the living room to a 65" 4k LG TV. But it's way too powerful for its usage and I want to downgrade (or re-purpose some oif the parts) in size (and power?) a much as possible while conserving 4k60HZ capabilities and future upgrades (No NUC). This is what's in there:

Node 202
MSI B150 Gaming AC ITX
i3-6100
Noctua NH-L9i
Zotac 1050ti
8 GB DDR4 2400Hz
300W SFX
250 GB SSD
1 TB HDD

Any feedback is very appreciated! I will do my best to reply in a timely manner and will post updates/pictures this weekend!

Last edited:

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Gmail does not host images. If you want to use Google for image hosting, use Google Photos. Upload the image, click on "Share" (the three dots connected by two lines that looks like <), get the link, and in your post click on "Image" (right to the right of the Smilies button) and paste in the link from Google Photos.

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Gmail does not host images. If you want to use Google for image hosting, use Google Photos. Upload the image, click on "Share" (the three dots connected by two lines that looks like <), get the link, and in your post click on "Image" (right to the right of the Smilies button) and paste in the link from Google Photos.

Thank you I will work on the photos when I get the chance!

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
So I finally transfer my HTPC into the S4 mini and I will keep it in the living room until my next upgrade. I want the mini on my desk but for now:

1- The vandal switch was a pain in the rear end to install
2- NO POWER ! :mad::mad:

I thought the switch got damaged when I put everything together but the rig powers on when connected to a sfx psu !?!? Bad HDplex ? power brick or somewhere along the chain ...

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hi, Rico. I'm sorry you had so much trouble installing the power switch. Might I ask what the problem was so I know to help future customers? Was it just that the LED buttons are really long?

As for the no-power issue, do you have the ability to put a multi-meter on the brick? I'm not sure what brick that is from the photo, but usually that would be the culprit.

Reactions: Coach_Rico

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Hi, Rico. I'm sorry you had so much trouble installing the power switch. Might I ask what the problem was so I know to help future customers? Was it just that the LED buttons are really long?

As for the no-power issue, do you have the ability to put a multi-meter on the brick? I'm not sure what brick that is from the photo, but usually that would be the culprit.

Yes Josh the power button is very long and is running into both the DDR4 Ram modules and the 24-pin plug of the HDplex. I had to curve it a lot to the right and it damaged the heat-shrink but the vandal switch still works! My brick is a 19V HP 230W and I had no power with another brick as well.... here are pictures of my build connected to my "external" sfx power supply.

Reactions: CubanLegend

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Fresh out of the mailbox. Will test it after dinner tonight! Dumb question but does it matter where I screw in the additional cables? There are 4 posts (GND, 12V, 12V, GND) on the psu and 4 wires (2 blacks and 2 yellows) from the 4+4 CPU PIN and 6+2 PCIe (not needed her because of 1050Ti)?

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Ok so I have power ! yeah everything works fine! Except for the power switch looking from a scene of Terminator ! Wires are too long and interfere with the HDplex. I have to work on that now ...

Curiosity

Too busy figuring out if I can to think if I shoul
Platinum Supporter
Bronze Supporter
M...M...M...M...Multi-Tier...Subscriber...
Apr 30, 2016
If you can solder it might be worth ordering an eswitch PV6 of some sort and wiring it at a right angle.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Can you not free the wires from the mega long shrink-wrap by cutting it back effectively shortening it?

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
I finally worked it out. I basically removed the sleeving and heat-shrink from the switch wires and was able to route them underneath the "fat" HD plex. Everything works fine although there is some contact between the psu and the switch wires ... @Curiosity thank you for your suggestion. I was on the E-switch website yesterday checking out their options but the PV6 looks great.

Overall I am happy with the outcome. It was a fun project and a great learning experience since it was my first SFF build coming from bigger ATX cases.

I do not have a specific time-frame but these are the things I would like to do:

Mods:
E-Switch PV6
Custom length/sleeving for HDplex cables
Wifi antennas inside the chassis :\

Upgrades:
M2 only drive
i5/i7 CPU (T series?)
Most powerful GPU for 1440p/60Hz gaming that the 160w HDPlex+ HP 230W combo can handle (waiting for AMD before going the 1060 route)

Thank you for all the feedback!

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
My $35 230W HP brick from amazon stopped working. It cannot power the computer anymore? that only after less than a week?o_O:mad:. Everything works fine with my wife laptop brick: a Dell 120W (obviously not powerful enough for my specs but fine at idle) . SMH

I just ordered a meanwell GST220A20-R7B from mouser. Larry from HDplex is sending me a custom power cable with a 4-pin DC adapter.

I'll upload pictures when I receive the goodies.

Coach_Rico

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Mar 16, 2017
Unfortunately, the build won't power itself on. I experience this weird symptom:

* Brick Led (blue) will turn on when the brick is connected to the wall by itself
* Brick Led shuts down when connected to the hdplex 4-pin din cable and I also hear a click > no power

It's almost like the brick shorts itself when making the connection ...