S4#25

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
:)

What is important is if the fan will continue to operate silently with the side panel on. I am pleased to report, it does. That's all for today!

:thumb:

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Could you not remove the fan brackets while leaving the fins? The fins appear to be structurally independent of the fan mounting.

It's a huge indictment of the shroud design, however. D'ya suppose marketing had something to do with that? ;)

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Could you not remove the fan brackets while leaving the fins? The fins appear to be structurally independent of the fan mounting.

It's a huge indictment of the shroud design, however. D'ya suppose marketing had something to do with that? ;)

I tried, but they were physically pressed together--the brace holds the fin assembly together for whatever reason. The good news is that the card can be put back together 100% with no one the wiser, in case the card ever has to go back for repairs, or the customer wants to sell it.

Janaka

What's an ITX?
Jan 15, 2016
Well I guess that solved the issue of the card being a fraction too long for the case... Remove the shroud and cool with a fan nearly the size of the card! Monumental work Josh! Loving the photo journal :D

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Very nicely done, especially the photos are nice to follow the progress you made. I have a 100mm Scythe slim fan and it's absolutely silent at 100% and after running for years 24/7, the bearing still works flawlessly. Amazing fans these are.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
How tight was the fan fit width wise? Would a 15mm thick fan fit or do you think it would be limited to 12mm? This is the only GTX970 available to me at the moment and I cannot get my hands on 120x12mm.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How tight was the fan fit width wise? Would a 15mm thick fan fit or do you think it would be limited to 12mm? This is the only GTX970 available to me at the moment and I cannot get my hands on 120x12mm.

Assuming you mean this exact Zotac card, I filed the shroud mounts so that they were flush with the fan (for the titest fit possible). If you want to fit a 15mm thick fan just file them down a bit more. Just fully test your GPU before doing this in case you want to return it...

I f***ing love the vintage look of your pics. That's so gorgeous !

Why, thank you!

TheInternal

Trash Compacter
May 27, 2016
Your photoset rocked. As a nerd with two degrees in media production / that taught videography a bit, I'd have to say you successfully did photography. Kudos. What camera did you shoot with / do anything special for your lighting?

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Your photoset rocked. As a nerd with two degrees in media production / that taught videography a bit, I'd have to say you successfully did photography. Kudos. What camera did you shoot with / do anything special for your lighting?

Sorry I missed this. I think I shot them with a A7ii. Fuji is my favorite system but I use the Sonys for video. As you hint at though it's all in the lighting. Off camera strobe + speed light for most of them with some 98CRI LEDs for contrast.

*edit*

Thanks for the compliments, btw...I don't deserve them for this but I do appreciate it!

Last edited:

Master of Cramming
Nov 5, 2016
I am browsing the web today, and I found this, the Nidec 4010 U40X12MLZ7-52, a 40x40x10mm fan: link
Then I realise this will be a perfect addition to the 120mm fan, we can use 3 of these on each side of, which makes up to a total of 200mm :D