GPU [Rumor] Leaked pictures of RTX 3080

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
It seems me in terms of market positioning it's more like a halo card, like a Titan. In terms of power/heat, it's more comparable to a dual GPU card of yore like the R9 295X2.

Do you mind elaborating on what you mean exactly by "a halo card", ie a Titan? What's a "halo" card exactly?...

So you think that the 3090 will either be a dual card or like the new Titan? Hence there will be a 3080 Ti or no? Or just a 3070, 3080 and 3090 (Titan)?...

This is obviously all just speculations and brainstorming, doesn't make it nonetheless interesting though :)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Do you mind elaborating on what you mean exactly by "a halo card", ie a Titan? What's a "halo" card exactly?...

So you think that the 3090 will either be a dual card or like the new Titan? Hence there will be a 3080 Ti or no? Or just a 3070, 3080 and 3090 (Titan)?...

This is obviously all just speculations and brainstorming, doesn't make it nonetheless interesting though :)
I'm referring to the halo effect. Companies sometimes will release a high end product that they know not many people will buy, but the perception of that product causes people to have a more positive view of the rest of their product line. Releasing a high end card like this will likely put them at the top of any performance benchmarks that it's included in, so whenever someone asks what the "best" card is, that company's card will be the obvious answer. At the rumored $1400 price point not many people will buy it, but that's not the point. The 3090, like the Titans before it, could be seen as a halo product. I have no reason to believe it will be dual GPU though.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

It means it is 'cream of the crop' card, a 'flagship' card, a card designed to sit at the top in a very obvious fashion.

Personally, I think there will be a 3080 Ti. One clue is the price structure of the series. 3090 sits at USD 1400 and 3080 at USD 800. Such a large gap would very much likely be a hint for Nvidia to slip in a 3080 Ti. And I think the goal of a 3080Ti might be as a counter force for a big Navi card, both performance and price wise.
And, I think there will be a Titan version too, at, say, $3000?

Reactions: Dawelio

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Just to put some further perspective on @Necere comments that "not many people will buy it" when referring to a halo card like the current 2080Ti, or the upcoming 3090, here's the Steam hardware survey for videocards.

This survey shows the percentages of people using particular graphics cards who also use Steam (and participate in the survey), and as you can see, almost 2 years after it's release, the GeForce 2080Ti still accounts for less than 1% of the GPUs actually sold and being used in PCs.

I think you'll find similar numbers over the lifetime of the next $1000+ graphics cards, despite seeing them used in almost every hardware review (which means everyone hears about them all the time, and probably thinks a lot more people actually have them).

Reactions: wzhalex and Dawelio

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Just to put some further perspective on @Necere comments that "not many people will buy it" when referring to a halo card like the current 2080Ti, or the upcoming 3090, here's the Steam hardware survey for videocards.

This survey shows the percentages of people using particular graphics cards who also use Steam (and participate in the survey), and as you can see, almost 2 years after it's release, the GeForce 2080Ti still accounts for less than 1% of the GPUs actually sold and being used in PCs.

I think you'll find similar numbers over the lifetime of the next $1000+ graphics cards, despite seeing them used in almost every hardware review (which means everyone hears about them all the time, and probably thinks a lot more people actually have them).

I think you’ve pretty much summed it all up and hit the head on the spike.

All high end hardware gets used, praised and hence much marketing by all of the major tech Youtubers. Which is why people think that many has them etc.
When in reality, people are just using more ”regular” hardware, such as 1070’s, 2060’s etc.

(Haven’t looked at the survey though, just going off knowledge from colleagues at work and what they have purchased. Since they aren’t enthusiasts as me, but still enjoy casual gaming and hence have gotten a more ”regular” specced PC. Rather than going balls to the wall with the very latest and most high end components)

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I bet many have seen that Seasonic's new cable (dual 8-pin to single Nvidia 12-pin cable adapter). I bet, whichever Nvidia card requires this, the cable will be bundled for free with the card. Anyway, on the box, it says they recommend using a PSU 850W or higher. Let's take this for a moment for the sake of discussion, I see basically no current SFX or SFX-L PSU is 850W except Cooler Master's V850 SFX Gold. Any other?

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I bet many have seen that Seasonic's new cable (dual 8-pin to single Nvidia 12-pin cable adapter). I bet, whichever Nvidia card requires this, the cable will be bundled for free with the card. Anyway, on the box, it says they recommend using a PSU 850W or higher. Let's take this for a moment for the sake of discussion, I see basically no current SFX or SFX-L PSU is 850W except Cooler Master's V850 SFX Gold. Any other?

I think you’re right. Given that the cards requiring the cable are going to be very expensive and that it’s a brand new power connector, I’m sure a 2x 8-Pin to 12-Pin adapter cable will be included. The GPUs released when 6-Pin and 8-Pin connectors were new had similar bundled adapters. Although, for modular power supplies, a cable directly from the PSU will be a nicer, and neater option, especially for SFF builds.

I think the Corsair SF750 will probably be enough to run one of these new cards, as even at a 400W power draw that would leave 350W for the rest of the components. I doubt anything much less than that will work though.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
As noted in the other thread, the Silverstone SFX-L 1000W has just shown up for preorder at an Aussie vendor.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Possible Colourful's two 3090 cards.
Not too sure about the pricing, but the 2 cards are huge, especially lengthwise.
They are 2-slot though.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Possible Colourful's two 3090 cards.
Not too sure about the pricing, but the 2 cards are huge, especially lengthwise.
They are 2-slot though.

First one is larger than 2 slot, second one is a bit larger blower design. That's a good sign though, if it can be cooled with the blower it will be possible to cool it with air cooler of sensible size.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
First one is larger than 2 slot, second one is a bit larger blower design. That's a good sign though, if it can be cooled with the blower it will be possible to cool it with air cooler of sensible size.
That blower card is a hybrid card. The watercooling portion is not shown.
A blower is highly unlikely to cool a 3090.

Reactions: riba2233

Diverge

Chassis Packer
Oct 23, 2018
If the 3090 is a halo card, like the Titan series, there might not be any 3rd party versions. I keep seeing people say that maybe 3rd parties will create a 2 slot version... but I wouldn't be surprised if they can only do custom cards of 3080 and below.

maveric

Caliper Novice
Jun 5, 2020
If the rumors are true about the size of this card, what would be the smallest case able to house such a behemoth?

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
If the 3090 is a halo card, like the Titan series, there might not be any 3rd party versions. I keep seeing people say that maybe 3rd parties will create a 2 slot version... but I wouldn't be surprised if they can only do custom cards of 3080 and below.

Well seeing as it's Nvidia in question here, they can change that this time around.

If the rumors are true about the size of this card, what would be the smallest case able to house such a behemoth?

Most probably an NCASE M1, I would assume. Seeing as it can take a 3 slot graphics card, not sure about the maximum height though.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Most probably an NCASE M1, I would assume. Seeing as it can take a 3 slot graphics card, not sure about the maximum height though.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the 3090 will fit in the M1. The bottom slot is limited to 280-290mm because of the front I/O, so a 3-slot card at 300mm+ isn't going to work. There's a slim chance it could work deshrouded, but I wouldn't count on it. The width is also a potential problem.

Besides, like I said previously, the heat will very likely be a problem even if it does fit.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Unfortunately it doesn't look like the 3090 will fit in the M1. The bottom slot is limited to 280-290mm because of the front I/O, so a 3-slot card at 300mm+ isn't going to work. There's a slim chance it could work deshrouded, but I wouldn't count on it. The width is also a potential problem.

Besides, like I said previously, the heat will very likely be a problem even if it does fit.

Ahh well I stand corrected then sir, very nice of you to jump in so quickly and inform everyone that it might not work in the NCASE M1 :)

bret0213

Efficiency Noob
Dec 9, 2018

Any chance it work using a rider cable

That is very unfortunate. Literally, order the ncase m1 with front I/O plate a few days ago. Leaving the Dan Case for the 3 slot card availability for the 3090. What else would fit this card in an SFF build? I might have to try to cancel if it's not to late.