GPU [Rumor] Leaked pictures of RTX 3080

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
This 3090 will most likely just fit inside the NCASE M1 at minimum, that is if AIBs doesn't come out with dual slot designs later on.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
I am really hoping AIB comes come with dual slot designs otherwise really its time to get a custom water block and go custom loop.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Rumor also has it that the 3080 and 3090 has a traversal coprocessor located on the back of the PCB.
If this is true, then perhaps a complete set of water block would come in 2 pieces, one for the front and one for the back. This could be interesting.

max31092

Average Stuffer
Mar 1, 2020
Rumor also has it that the 3080 and 3090 has a traversal coprocessor located on the back of the PCB.

I hope the sources saying if there actually was a coprocessor it would be on substrate are right. Also the location on the back would make it quite hard to cool.

Also I still hope those dimensions are fake. I don't want to believe a reference card being bigger than every previous partner card that I can think of.

edit:
using the pcie bracket as measurement I get 128to133mm and 297to308mm that wouldn't be so bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I hope the sources saying if there actually was a coprocessor it would be on substrate are right. Also the location on the back would make it quite hard to cool.

Also I still hope those dimensions are fake. I don't want to believe a reference card being bigger than every previous partner card that I can think of.
I agree with you, I think this was photoshoped. I don't see Nvidia making a reference card that is over 345mm long, do you know how many cases won't be able to fit this thing and not just SFF.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018

edit:
using the pcie bracket as measurement I get 128to133mm and 297to308mm that wouldn't be so bad.
If you compare the size of the pci bracket of the top and bottom cards, they are not the same. Either it is due to perspective or the top card is artificially 'magnified' to make it looks larger.

Anyway, as of today, the 'leaked' prices for them are:-
3090 for US$1400
3080 for US$800
3070 for US$600
3060 for US$400

I bet there will probably be a 3070Ti/Super for $700 and a 3080Ti/Super for $950?

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer and AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Sizing aside, I don't think the 3090 is going to be very SFF friendly due to power consumption and heat output.

From earlier rumors, this may require 3x 8-pin PCI-E connectors and have a power draw of over 300W. That will make an SFX PSU like the Corsair SF750 a requirement.

This looks like a card that's being released to keep the crown for fastest gaming GPU at any cost, in the face of much better competition for AMD towards the end of the year.

I'm personally hoping for a 3080 with a more reasonable size, and power consumption, that hopefully has better performance than the RTX 2080Ti for somewhere around the $800 mark.

I have a feeling that Nvidia will be making as much money as they can from early adopters, and then announcing some price cuts to mess with AMDs launch when that happens. Next year should be a great year for graphics cards in general, with the launch of the next gen consoles, and hopefully some vicious competition between Nvidia, AMD, and Intel.

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
The_Crapman said:
OMG come on. That's so fake it's ridiculous. It's that same fake crap from before, crudely enlarged so that the PCI slot on the "3090" is bigger than the 2080ti (1), fans that are so wrong to be in this type of design and one with horrile defects (2) and why can I see through the fins to the table in the middle of the card , where there should be pcb and backplate as per the other picture (3) and why can i see through the IO? (4)

A member posted this post on another forum that I'm a member of, got written permission from the user in question to post here.

The post is very good and rather logical if you ask me, what he points out. Hence why I wanted to post it here as well.

Reactions: rfarmer

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
OMG come on. That's so fake it's ridiculous. It's that same fake crap from before, crudely enlarged so that the PCI slot on the "3090" is bigger than the 2080ti (1), fans that are so wrong to be in this type of design and one with horrile defects (2) and why can I see through the fins to the table in the middle of the card , where there should be pcb and backplate as per the other picture (3) and why can i see through the IO? (4)
All of these points have plausible explanations:
  1. The PCIe slot looks larger because of perspective. The 3090 is a 3-slot card and thus 20mm closer to the camera on the right.
  2. Not sure why the fans would be "wrong." They are the same axial fans any card with two or more fans use. You would not want to use dual centrifugal fans because they direct air laterally rather than perpendicular, and you'd leave little room for the heatsink. The "horrible defects" looks like a sticker on the fan hub that someone tried to get at with a screwdriver.
  3. You can see through the fins again because of perspective. The PCB is ~60mm further away from the camera than the face of the cooler, and the angle created by the perspective lets you see through the fins. The assertion doesn't even make sense - clearly it's a physical card, so whether it's real or a dummy has no bearing on the explanation for why you can see through the fins.
  4. Air vents on the PCI bracket.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
All of these points have plausible explanations:
  1. The PCIe slot looks larger because of perspective. The 3090 is a 3-slot card and thus 20mm closer to the camera on the right.
  2. Not sure why the fans would be "wrong." They are the same axial fans any card with two or more fans use. You would not want to use dual centrifugal fans because they direct air laterally rather than perpendicular, and you'd leave little room for the heatsink. The "horrible defects" looks like a sticker on the fan hub that someone tried to get at with a screwdriver.
  3. You can see through the fins again because of perspective. The PCB is ~60mm further away from the camera than the face of the cooler, and the angle created by the perspective lets you see through the fins. The assertion doesn't even make sense - clearly it's a physical card, so whether it's real or a dummy has no bearing on the explanation for why you can see through the fins.
  4. Air vents on the PCI bracket.
My thinking exactly. Though I would add refraction of light to point 4 - I/O shields and heatsinks are typically quite shiny, so light (of the same color as the table) would have little trouble getting in there. These arguments don't hold water whatsoever. "Wrong fan design" is especially meaningless, given that it's a similarly semi-pressure-optimized design like tons of GPU coolers use - look at the Asus Strix 5700, for example.

Reactions: Phuncz

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Even if a case can fit the RTX 3090 it's a good bet IMO that it will produce to much heat for many SFF cases. The new 12 pin power connector it's supposedly using has a theoretical maximum of 648W - roughly double a pair of 8 pins. If this card ends up in the 500W range, it will effectively be like running SLI in terms of heat output, and will need a very well ventilated case to get all that hot air out. Cases without dedicated exhaust fans, or that put the CPU cooler/radiator in the GPU exhaust flow are not going to do well.

People running SFF will be better served by the RTX 3080 and below, both in terms of size and heat output (not to mention being half the cost).

Dawelio

Awesomeness
SFFn Staff
Dec 17, 2017
Even if a case can fit the RTX 3090 it's a good bet IMO that it will produce to much heat for many SFF cases. The new 12 pin power connector it's supposedly using has a theoretical maximum of 648W - roughly double a pair of 8 pins. If this card ends up in the 500W range, it will effectively be like running SLI in terms of heat output, and will need a very well ventilated case to get all that hot air out. Cases without dedicated exhaust fans, or that put the CPU cooler/radiator in the GPU exhaust flow are not going to do well.

People running SFF will be better served by the RTX 3080 and below, both in terms of size and heat output (not to mention being half the cost).

So you think that the 3090 will be the new " 3080 Ti" basically?...

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
So you think that the 3090 will be the new " 3080 Ti" basically?...
It seems me in terms of market positioning it's more like a halo card, like a Titan. In terms of power/heat, it's more comparable to a dual GPU card of yore like the R9 295X2.