Discussion RTX 3000 Series ITX Cards

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
This is just a first ever ITX 3000 series card. I doubt there will be 3070 ITX or higher tier card. But let's wait a bit and see if there are any other manufacturers that may be launching ITX 3060 and 3060Ti variant in the near future.
https://videocardz.net/asus-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8gb-phoenix - something like this might come out soon. And ASUS proved they can build great cards with this generation. It might be better in every way like TUF series compared to MSI. Also that backplate on AERO seem to be plastic... so another corner is cut for sure.
Gigabyte might launch it's Mini ITX version. But for 2000 series MSI had better cooling / noise performing ITX cards than Gigabyte. And colling/noise is what I care about the most.

It's lost in a couple of threads, but there are two other companies that have announced ITX 3060s. MSI is the only 3060ti though.

Reactions: scatterforce

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
That's good news, and I really hope MSI brings their Aero ITX line back to North America.
good news....here is the link from the US website.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
For the EU people
On the product page it says it will have a copper base, no word on how many heat pipes though. Might be a better buy if MSI is being cheap with their coolers.

Revenant

Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Totally agree with this. If I had ever been able to get a hold of the 2070 Aero itx in North America I would probably still be using my MI-6.
I had one in my cart twice... just couldn’t pull the trigger when on a 1080P TV. However, my trusty 1070 is getting old. With 2080 Super Performance on the 3060ti i will be updating.

Reactions: Jello

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I had one in my cart twice... just couldn’t pull the trigger when on a 1080P TV. However, my trusty 1070 is getting old. With 2080 Super Performance on the 3060ti i will be updating.

A 3060 ti on a Skyreach 4 Mini build will be extremely sexy and attractive portable build that you can take anywhere.

Reactions: Revenant

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
ASUS announced another itx sized 3060. It's 177mm long, but has one issue:

2.5 slot card, 51mm thick with backplate.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
ASUS announced another itx sized 3060. It's 177mm long, but has one issue:

2.5 slot card, 51mm thick with backplate.

Freaking ASUS and MSI need to stop making fat 2.5 / 2.75 slot cards for their entry / smaller variants..

MSI and Zotac need to stop using the price rise as an excuse to scalp their own cards..

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Freaking ASUS and MSI need to stop making fat 2.5 / 2.75 slot cards for their entry / smaller variants..

MSI and Zotac need to stop using the price rise as an excuse to scalp their own cards..

More like Nvidia and AMD both need to stop increasing the heat load their products generate. The reason they could get the card to 180mm, was because they made the cooler thicker to deal with the 170W heatload. They could either make the cooler longer or they can make it fatter.

Damn the laws of physics.

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
More like Nvidia and AMD both need to stop increasing the heat load their products generate. The reason they could get the card to 180mm, was because they made the cooler thicker to deal with the 170W heatload. They could either make the cooler longer or they can make it fatter.

I feel that there's not enough innovation going on to get better performance in an overall lower thermal/power, so the only thing manufacturers can do is to increase raw power (wattage).

I hope I'm wrong though.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018

It's a 3060..it's not gonna be that hot. We've seen EVGA pull off a tiny 3060 dual slot card with modest temps

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
It's a 3060..it's not gonna be that hot. We've seen EVGA pull off a tiny 3060 dual slot card with modest temps
No you haven't. The 3060 XC Gaming is a 2 slot card--that is 40mm longer. 215mm versus 177.

You can either have thin and long, or thick and short. Choose one.

Reactions: Phuncz

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I'm also baffled why they do this. There are a couple of examples when they make a card that is 2.5 slot while just like 230mm long. What kind of design is that? It can still only fit as a full sized gpu and at this point, why not just make it even 290-300mm instead, but keep it 2 slot?
Also the shroud of this ASUS card according to this picture (that might as well be a reference shot) is not exactly vertical. Same can be said on the fins of the heatsink, looking kinda bent.

With that said when it comes to itx cards, instead of trying to make them more powerful, I would be okay them keeping the performance stagnate on the level of a 2060-2070 or a 3050 and just turn the direction of development towards better cooling and noise at that form factor first. That would make more sense to me. Bigger cards mean more power. So naturally smaller cards should offer less performance - but make them run cool and quiet.

Last edited:
Reactions: jaeparku

bholenath

Efficiency Noob
Dec 16, 2020
Looks like I'm in the minority when I say a short and fat gpu is a super thing after discovering external psus.

In fact I would love to find a GPU cooler which has a 140mm heat sink and (single) fan. Minimized dead space in certain layouts

Last edited:

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Honestly, with all the cards getting either thicker or longer AND the availability of such niche cards... I think I'm going to go back to a full size gpu :'(

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
No you haven't. The 3060 XC Gaming is a 2 slot card--that is 40mm longer. 215mm versus 177.

I wouldn't consider 215mm as "long" but that's just me.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
I wouldn't consider 215mm as "long" but that's just me.

Anything longer than 175mm, and thicker than 2 slot, will not fit in a Velka3 (or similar case). Intel's Ghost Canyon NUC cannot fit anything longer than about 195mm and 2-slots. Neither are things that I personally worry about, at least yet--but I feel for people with those 4/5 liter enclosures that there are no GPUs being made for.

This entire GPU generation is basically a total loss for the smaller-end of the SFF scene. Even were cards available, nothing is being made for the small-end.

Reactions: paullusty

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020

The XC is 202mm. Also, the 2070 itx cards were 175W and were handled by a 2-slot single fan cooler just fine. The board partners are doing a supremely bad job of supporting the itx form factor, prolly cause if demand, but still focusing resources on huge 3 fan cooling options on a 170W gpu and needlessly limiting the only itx variants to 2.5 slots a missed opportunity

Last edited:
Reactions: jaeparku