Discussion RTX 3000 Series ITX Cards

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
If you are willing to navigate Taobao, there are quite a number of MSI 3060 Aero ITX from reputable stores, where I got mine at around market price.

Also, I have made a complication of all the ITX cards in the RTX 3000 & Radeon 6000 series for my own reference, but happy to share it! Hopefully I didn't miss out any.

MSI 3060ti & 3060 Aero ITX
  • Dimensions: 172x125x43mm
  • Fan blade rises a few mm during high RPMs and might (will) impact case compatibility (Source: I have a 3060 Aero ITX).
  • 3060ti seems to exist only on the website.
  • Aero ITX design hasn't changed in a couple of generations, and it looks neutral enough.

Asus 3060 Phoenix
  • Dimensions: 177x128x51mm
  • 2.5 slots, which is a shame, as a lot of small sandwich cases can usually only take 2 slots.
  • Asus's Phoenix design hasn't changed in a couple of generations, and it looks neutral enough.
Colourful iGame 3060 Mini
  • Dimensions: 182x130x42mm
  • Best looking of all ITX cards so far, but at 182mm long, it will have fitment issues in some cases, with a backplate, white and silver aesthetics.
  • Edit: Has a Red LED Strip on the top of the GPU, where the RTX wordings are. Unsure if it is ARGB or just red.
  • Colourful primarily targets the Asia market, so availability would be even worse if you aren't based there.
  • Edit: Just released for sale, but users are complaining of fan noise, possibly due to a faulty fan? (Thanks to @tinyitx for pointing this out!)
Palit 3060 Storm X
  • Dimensions: 170x125x39mm,
  • No backplate, neutral aesthetics and has RGB.
PNY 3060 XLR8 Gaming Single Fan
  • Dimensions: 170x125x40mm
  • No backplate, neutral aesthetics and has RGB.
Gainward 3060 Pegasus
  • Dimensions: 170x125x40mm
  • Essentially the same as the PNY, just different branding for different markets (I think).
Maxsun 3060 Big Mac
  • Dimensions: 183x122x41mm
  • Funny name and plain looking aside, the only dual fan ITX(?) card at 183mm, will have issues with some cases, and with a backplate.
  • Maxsun's target market seems to be only Asia as well, availability will be an added issue.
Asrock 6600 XT Challenger ITX
  • Dimensions: 179x124x40mm
  • Only Radeon offering so far, but unreleased.
  • Has a metal backplate, no frill looks.
As ITX cards are generally tougher to find, there exists an ITX tax on top of the high prices now, so good luck on landing one!

new or used? If they are used, I heavily suspect they are just unloading mined cards

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
new or used? If they are used, I heavily suspect they are just unloading mined cards
New, at least it was for me. Mine came from a store that is TMall and official reseller of MSI, whereas most of the stores are reputable enough with a number of years and have good reviews.

Of course, there still is a risk element that there is a chance that the vendors are unscrupulous, and most of itx cards appeared only after the mining ban in China, and your warranty/RMA will have to be handled most likely in Chinese too.

It's a judgement call and one's risk appetite, should one want to get a GPU off taobao. Actually, come to think about it, pretty much a lot of items of taobao too.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
This arrived today!

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
5700XT. So basically a sidestep in performance but this is to go into most likely a J Hack Pure XL which the 5700XT would not fit into. At least it's probably not going to cost me anything once i've sold the old card.

But it is currently the fastest ITX card money can buy, at least until the MSI 3060Ti stops being vaporware.

Other hardware, for those interested:

3700X
Crosshair VIII Impact
32GB 8Pack DDR4-3600 (2x16GB)
Intel 600p 1TB
AMD Wraith Stealth cooler
Corsair SF750 (fans don't even spin up under load anymore)
Sugo SG13 w/USB-C front panel

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
5700XT. So basically a sidestep in performance but this is to go into most likely a J Hack Pure XL which the 5700XT would not fit into. At least it's probably not going to cost me anything once i've sold the old card.

But it is currently the fastest ITX card money can buy, at least until the MSI 3060Ti stops being vaporware.

Other hardware, for those interested:

3700X
Crosshair VIII Impact
32GB 8Pack DDR4-3600 (2x16GB)
Intel 600p 1TB
AMD Wraith Stealth cooler
Corsair SF750 (fans don't even spin up under load anymore)
Sugo SG13 w/USB-C front panel

That's going to be a nice setup, plus you have some Ray Tracing in there.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
It's noisier than my 5700XT, but it's rocking half the amount of fans. I still wouldn't call it annoying though, or even that noticable.

Raytracing performance however, just sucks. Had a bash on Doom Eternal which it happily locks at 144Hz 1440p max details, but enabling RT knocks the performance down under 20FPS, rendering it unplayable. Even using dynamic resolution scaling the game is constantly struggling to keep itself at 60fps and the textures look crap.

Same deal with Quake 2 RTX. If I run it at 720p I can get close to 60fps with RT enabled, at 1440p i'm down under 20fps again.

However I didn't buy it for it's ray tracing, I bought it to be a pocket rocket at ITX sizes, and that it manages really well. In pure rasterising it's actually probably a little faster than my 5700XT (i'd say close to 2080 performance) and it's sucking around 100W less out of my PSU.

I'm more than happy. I'm not sure i'd recommend it at it's current price point as it's edging very close to £500 here in the UK. I got mine almost £100 less than that by pre-ordering at release and being patient.

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
It's noisier than my 5700XT, but it's rocking half the amount of fans. I still wouldn't call it annoying though, or even that noticable.

Raytracing performance however, just sucks. Had a bash on Doom Eternal which it happily locks at 144Hz 1440p max details, but enabling RT knocks the performance down under 20FPS, rendering it unplayable. Even using dynamic resolution scaling the game is constantly struggling to keep itself at 60fps and the textures look crap.

Same deal with Quake 2 RTX. If I run it at 720p I can get close to 60fps with RT enabled, at 1440p i'm down under 20fps again.

However I didn't buy it for it's ray tracing, I bought it to be a pocket rocket at ITX sizes, and that it manages really well. In pure rasterising it's actually probably a little faster than my 5700XT (i'd say close to 2080 performance) and it's sucking around 100W less out of my PSU.

I'm more than happy. I'm not sure i'd recommend it at it's current price point as it's edging very close to £500 here in the UK. I got mine almost £100 less than that by pre-ordering at release and being patient.
That's good to know. Single fan cards are always quite noisy, even the Aero ITX at above 70% fan speeds.

The 6600XT seems like it is very power efficient too.

Ray Tracing is probably still out of the AMD's league (for now), even with my 6800XT @ 3440x1440 Ultrawide, frames will take a serious hit. Maybe with next generations, it will be better. At the significant price increase too, I reckon.

Reactions: Tute

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
That's good to know. Single fan cards are always quite noisy, even the Aero ITX at above 70% fan speeds.

The 6600XT seems like it is very power efficient too.

Ray Tracing is probably still out of the AMD's league (for now), even with my 6800XT @ 3440x1440 Ultrawide, frames will take a serious hit. Maybe with next generations, it will be better. At the significant price increase too, I reckon.
It’s just a bit annoying having the RT hardware present on the chip but knowing that any attempt to utilise it results in poor performance.

Maybe FXSR can be updated to use it in the future.

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
I was wrong - if you don't hit it with work that uses the RT cores it's silent in operation. Very happy!

Now I just need a case that can take advantage of it's form factor. Any suggestions for something riserless but hopefully sub-8L? From looking it's basically the J Hack or the Lazer3D?

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I was wrong - if you don't hit it with work that uses the RT cores it's silent in operation. Very happy!

Now I just need a case that can take advantage of it's form factor. Any suggestions for something riserless but hopefully sub-8L? From looking it's basically the J Hack or the Lazer3D?
Some other options, but they might not all be so easy to acquire: HG Osmi, Colinreay's MK2, SGPC K60, Jonsbo T8

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Some other options, but they might not all be so easy to acquire: HG Osmi, Colinreay's MK2, SGPC K60, Jonsbo T8

User feedback about the 6600XT CLI is that it's pretty much silent and runs around 50Cto 70C while gaming, and is pretty power efficient too.

Colinreay MK2 & SGPC K60 are unfortunately OOP, Jonsbo T8 & SGPC K69 are hotboxes from what I read. Mechanic Master C24, Sirius T70, Acat 3 v2.0 if you don't mind above 8L but below 10L cases.

Not much choices left, if you want below 8L and without a riser, unfortunately. And I have been doing some research looking for more cases that might fit.

I personally own a Lazer3D LZX-8, so I am pretty biased, but I like the case and it is very well ventilated. The LZ7 would be smaller and would perform just as well as it's bigger case. Downsides is pretty dependent on what your views are on acyclic panels. There is an upcoming case that the creators have let me in on, the Smol X1, that I am waiting for a prototype to arrive for some testing!

If you are open to the world of Taobao, some options open up like this , is 6.4L, can have a tower cooler up to 113mm, up to 5 fan mounts (3x 9015, 2x 6025) and uses a SFX PSU. Personally am interested in it, but only comes in silver though and I prefer a black case.

Last edited:
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Tute

Average Stuffer
Sep 16, 2018
I was thinking something along the lines of the CCD MI-6 aesthetic without the riser. On that basis the Colinreay looks absolutely ideal. From having a read it doesn't look like he's going to do another production run sadly.

And that X64 looks like someone refurbished a load of B-grade cheese graters into a case.

Is there nothing on the Lian-Li side of things that might work? They used to make all sorts of absolutely oddball cases, but it looks like when they discontinue a model it's deleted from their website, meaning that the only ITX cases they list on there are the TU-150 and the O11 Mini (NOT SMALL FORM FACTOR).

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I was thinking something along the lines of the CCD MI-6 aesthetic without the riser. On that basis the Colinreay looks absolutely ideal. From having a read it doesn't look like he's going to do another production run sadly.

And that X64 looks like someone refurbished a load of B-grade cheese graters into a case.

Is there nothing on the Lian-Li side of things that might work? They used to make all sorts of absolutely oddball cases, but it looks like when they discontinue a model it's deleted from their website, meaning that the only ITX cases they list on there are the TU-150 and the O11 Mini (NOT SMALL FORM FACTOR).
Well, there's the O11 Mini Air. Which is still damn huge. Hahaha. Maybe in the future? Lian Li might come out with something, but I don't see the need for innovation from them yet to push the boundaries, with their great designed cases selling well, but I might be wrong.

Yeah, the x64 is super janky looking and I surprisingly don't mind it! Only think stopping me is actually with the gpu cover, the width of the gpu is limited to 115mm only. Embracing the jankiness, but yeah, case designs can vary and isn't for everyone.

Colinreay Mk2 was totally on my radar, but yeah unfortunate about no more runs.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
I just got a 3060ti and can confirm fan blades hit on the k39v2. any thoughts on a solution? standoffs on the screws?
My personal belief is that in combination with the fan blad lifting off, the additional thickness of the backplate forces the card to be mounted not exactly in the pcie bracket. Well, not like the K39v2 is built perfectly either, but that's beside the point.

Standoffs on the mounting hole will work, as it will have a gap inbetween the case and the side panel, letting the fan spin. Well, that will also mean that that will be gap inbetween the case and the look will be off. Then again, not like most K39v2's are built with a perfect fit and no bowing.

My solution is to get something to wedge inbetween the side panel and the GPU, then using pressure to squish the case together to mount the screws down. In my case, I used two rubber fan gaskets. The video below would probably explain it way better than I did.

Also, congrats on landing a 3060ti Aero ITX!

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
My personal belief is that in combination with the fan blad lifting off, the additional thickness of the backplate forces the card to be mounted not exactly in the pcie bracket. Well, not like the K39v2 is built perfectly either, but that's beside the point.

Standoffs on the mounting hole will work, as it will have a gap inbetween the case and the side panel, letting the fan spin. Well, that will also mean that that will be gap inbetween the case and the look will be off. Then again, not like most K39v2's are built with a perfect fit and no bowing.

My solution is to get something to wedge inbetween the side panel and the GPU, then using pressure to squish the case together to mount the screws down. In my case, I used two rubber fan gaskets. The video below would probably explain it way better than I did.

Also, congrats on landing a 3060ti Aero ITX!

"only" had to pay 200 dollars more than FE MSRP. It such a unicorn since only MSI makes it I just bit the bullet and bought it on the spot.

Video is nice, I built it completely opposite, PSU first, Mobo, and vid card at the end. And then closed the entire thing by attaching the front panel U. I think you way is better, my way made me skip the 2 front internal screws because i couldn't reach it.

Fan gasket is a good idea, I will give it a try, i have a bunch of Noctua ones laying around.

Thanks for the idea!!

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
C
"only" had to pay 200 dollars more than FE MSRP. It such a unicorn since only MSI makes it I just bit the bullet and bought it on the spot.

Video is nice, I built it completely opposite, PSU first, Mobo, and vid card at the end. And then closed the entire thing by attaching the front panel U. I think you way is better, my way made me skip the 2 front internal screws because i couldn't reach it.

Fan gasket is a good idea, I will give it a try, i have a bunch of Noctua ones laying around.

Thanks for the idea!!
Cheers and hope it helps!

Must say that the video isn't mine though. Hahaha. And I can't remember the build process that I took for my own K39v2 too.

All I remember is a lot of using brute strenght to mash things together at the end, and copious amounts of swearing at times.