Discussion RTX 3000 Series ITX Cards

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
For those that don't know about the Apple pay technique for New Egg:

1. Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone. Make sure your credit card is rock solid.

2. Download the NewEgg app onto your iPhone.

3. Make sure you set your NewEgg app to keep you logged in, or use the fastest method to relog you in.

4. Do a small test purchase using your Apple Pay to ensure it's working prior to going hunting for the RTX cards and work out any kinks in the process. Make sure you address is set up, phone numbers, etc. Apple pay should basically be 1 click and your done.

Once that's done, we go to purchasing the card.

1. Go to Now In Stock and monitor THE CHAT. Ignore their in stock alerts. It's on the bottom of the page.

2. Monitor the New Egg Twitter as they release drop times...most of the time.

3. New Egg drops at 4PM PST (7PM EST). Right now, they are staggering their releases. 4PM for the 3060ti. 4:10PM for the 3080 or 3070. It switches up but it seems to be about 10 minutes apart. Keep the Now In Stock window open and monitor the chat as they leak which combos will be available there.

4. Individual cards aren't dropping on NewEgg. You have to find the combos. Search 3080 Combo (or which ever one you want) in the New Egg App.

5. Add the combo to your wish list. Make it a new wish list.

6. (OPTIONAL) Log out and log back in 10 minutes before the drop.

7. Go to your wishlist, and click on the list with the combo. Becareful as NewEgg is canceling orders with multiple combos in it. So choose a single combo per wishlist.

8. At exactly 4PM PST, click on the picture of the item within your wish list.

9. IMMEDIATELY go back to the wishlist. It will now read Add to Cart at the bottom.

(You may have to repeat steps 8 and 9 a couple of times).

10. Click Add All Items on the wish to your cart.

11. Click Apple Pay to check out.

Everything should auto populate, and you should have a lot better chance to get the card than F5ing. Tonight was my first time using this technique, and I scored the card I was looking for.

Last edited:

SFFManiac07

Chassis Packer
Jun 22, 2020
Yup. For reference, with 60% fan speed the card is on the loud side...it can only keep the GPU to 72C, which isn't great compared to other 2070s. Of course, on cold boot the card spins to 100% RPM, for a second, for no real reason which is also annoying.
The cooler on the Dual mini is that bad eh? I guess I might as well get a Gigabyte Eagle dual 3060ti then.

SFFManiac07

Chassis Packer
Jun 22, 2020
Yup. For reference, with 60% fan speed the card is on the loud side...it can only keep the GPU to 72C, which isn't great compared to other 2070s. Of course, on cold boot the card spins to 100% RPM, for a second, for no real reason which is also annoying.

The cooler on the Dual mini line is that bad? Well, I guess then I might as well get a Gigabyte Eagle Dual 3060ti then.

TLN

Average Stuffer
Mar 9, 2020
Having a 2070 mini DUAL OC at the moment...I'd be a bit concerned about using the exact same cooler on a card with 20% more total board power. I mean, yes, the cooler can probably do it for a 3060Ti, but I'd love for that cooling solution to be less obnoxious when doing its job.
I used to have same 2070 Dual mini up until recently and was pretty happy with results. It was located next to two 140 intake fans in cerberus case, but still. Was doing great for what I was using it. Planning on getting 3060ti now.

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
I managed to snag a 3070 today from New Egg. Almost managed a 3080 but I miss clicked. I used the Apple pay technique to get it on the 7PM drop.
How much is the 3070 if it's not a secret? Also what price what the 3080 that time? There are few 3080 available in my country but there is no way I'll pay around 1500$ for 3080

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
How much is the 3070 if it's not a secret? Also what price what the 3080 that time? There are few 3080 available in my country but there is no way I'll pay around 1500$ for 3080

The combo from New Egg was for a Gigabyte OC model ($549) and Gigabyte 750 watt modular PSU. Total was $649. I needed the PSU anyway.

The 3080 combos range from $750 to $1000, but never above MSRP for both items included.

paulesko

Master of Cramming
Jul 31, 2019
I come to say I´m very fustrated because of this availabity thing. 3060 ti and 3080 are nowhere to be found new where I live, only 3090 are new in stock. 3060 ti are being sold new for around 600 euro and 3080 around 900-1200 depending the. This leads me to the 3090 which I can buy new for a bit less than 1400 because I get good prices on a dealer and because of this mess, all of a sudden the stupid 3090 is looking like a good deal! Crazy.

Diamorif

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 9, 2020
For 1400, that is actually a pretty good deal. Given the fact that they keep talking about launching the 3080 ti for 400 less with 4 less GB of DDR6X, that's not a terrible option.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
While this card was already discussed in other threads, I like the last 2 photos provided in that link. It really underscores that the manufacturers are cutting corners wherever possible. The 3060 has the exact same heatsink, but only has 2 heat pipes vs. 4 on the 3060ti. There are even holes in the fins where those heat pipes would go.... just empty.

In theory, you could drop a 3060ti cooler on the 3060 version for more thermal headroom.

Reactions: paullusty

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
While this card was already discussed in other threads, I like the last 2 photos provided in that link. It really underscores that the manufacturers are cutting corners wherever possible. The 3060 has the exact same heatsink, but only has 2 heat pipes vs. 4 on the 3060ti. There are even holes in the fins where those heat pipes would go.... just empty.

In theory, you could drop a 3060ti cooler on the 3060 version for more thermal headroom.
By 'manufacturers are cutting corners', I suppose you mean removing 2 heatpipes away when going from 3060Ti to 3060.
It is hard to say. It depends on your perspective. I mean, on the other hand, one can also say MSI has gone the extra mile by providing 2 additional heatpipes when going from 3060 to 3060Ti. So, whether it is 'cutting corners' or 'adding corners', it really is a matter of perspective.
Unfortunately, these cards are still too new to be reviewed. But I expect their thermal performance will be quite acceptable. This is what really matters.

Reactions: rfarmer

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
By 'manufacturers are cutting corners', I suppose you mean removing 2 heatpipes away when going from 3060Ti to 3060.
It is hard to say. It depends on your perspective. I mean, on the other hand, one can also say MSI has gone the extra mile by providing 2 additional heatpipes when going from 3060 to 3060Ti. So, whether it is 'cutting corners' or 'adding corners', it really is a matter of perspective.
Unfortunately, these cards are still too new to be reviewed. But I expect their thermal performance will be quite acceptable. This is what really matters.

Given all the leaked info about AIBs being hard-pressed to make money on these cards at their alleged MSRPs that no one can buy them at...and the subsequent raising of the release-day MSRP by 20% on the 3060 series cards.....

Yea, it is definite penny penching.

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
@tinyitx You raise some good points, so I did a bit of research on the TDP of the pervious generation of MSI Aero ITX cards.

1060 TDP: 120 Watts
1 heat pipe in an S shape, direct contact

1070 TDP: 150 Watts
3 U shaped heatpipes, direct contact

2060 TDP: 160 Watts
2 U shaped heatpipes, copper base

2060 Super TDP: 175 Watts
3 U shaped heatpipes, copper base

2070 TDP: 175 Watts
4 U shaped heatpipes, copper base

3060 TDP: 170 Watts
2 U shaped heatpipes, direct contact

3060ti TDP: 200 Watts
4 U shaped heatpipes, direct contact

A flat cooper base is better at making contact with the GPU die, but more expensive to implement. It appears that the jump from the 10 series to the 20, they added a one heatpipe going up the range of offerings and a copper base. With the increase to TDP, these upgrades felt appropriate.

From the 20 to the 30 series, I feel they clearly cut corners compared to their previous offerings. The 2060, the only other card to get 2 heatpipes, had 10 Watts less power and a copper base. Looking at the 3060ti, I'm really worried about what that's going to sound like, even fully populated with 4 heatpipes.

*Now, I don't know the weight of these cards, and they could be optimized for better heat dissipation. We will have to wait for reviews, but I agree with @Skripka..... MSI is penny pinching this generation.

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
My aero 1070 isn't great in the noise department but that's pretty standard across single fan ITX cards. Given stock issues and pricing I prob won't be upgrading to the 3060ti but would like to eventually. So maybe in a year...

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
This is just a first ever ITX 3000 series card. I doubt there will be 3070 ITX or higher tier card. But let's wait a bit and see if there are any other manufacturers that may be launching ITX 3060 and 3060Ti variant in the near future.
https://videocardz.net/asus-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-8gb-phoenix - something like this might come out soon. And ASUS proved they can build great cards with this generation. It might be better in every way like TUF series compared to MSI. Also that backplate on AERO seem to be plastic... so another corner is cut for sure.
Gigabyte might launch it's Mini ITX version. But for 2000 series MSI had better cooling / noise performing ITX cards than Gigabyte. And colling/noise is what I care about the most.