Log Riba's 14L N-ATX water-cooled build - 3700x + Vega64

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@riba2233 just a quick question, can I still mount the 360 radiator at the bottom if I use the Crosshair VIII Impact (mDTX)? Or that is only possible with ITX motherboard?

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Unfortunately no, it not even close.
because the motherboard mount is too low right? i.e the empty space up top for fan mount and to clear the power cable extension?

theoretically the inner case height is 348mm > 203mm (mDTX) + 133mm (GTS 360). so let's say if I do some modding to move the power cable mounting outwards, then tap in motherboard standoffs in higher position that would work?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
because the motherboard mount is too low right? i.e the empty space up top for fan mount and to clear the power cable extension?

theoretically the inner case height is 348mm > 203mm (mDTX) + 133mm (GTS 360). so let's say if I do some modding to move the power cable mounting outwards, then tap in motherboard standoffs in higher position that would work?

Sure, with some amount of modding it would fit, there is enough space.

Reactions: thelaughingman

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
@riba2233 just a quick question, can I still mount the 360 radiator at the bottom if I use the Crosshair VIII Impact (mDTX)? Or that is only possible with ITX motherboard?
I use that specific motherboard , and I can tell you there is no space for it on the bottom , the additional sound card space takes out so much of the needed space

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I use that specific motherboard , and I can tell you there is no space for it on the bottom , the additional sound card space takes out so much of the needed space
yeah I use the same board, thus my plan to do modding on the case. where there's a will, there's a way 😌

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Goodluck ! , I will be going to another route by changing my mobo to ATX, unless next gen ITX have 3 slot m.2
thanks! I cannot use ATX because I need to fit a 360 radiator at the bottom haha aircooling the 5950X with top-down cooler is a non-starter for me

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
Here you go, I made some renders with 60mm 360 alphacool rad model that I have:

hey, just want to double check on this render - the clearance of 30.58mm from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case, in this case the motherboard is mounted on:
  1. standard mounting position? OR
  2. the optional mounting position (that is 5mm higher) per page 9 of the manual?
Been looking at the manual today and I think the mod will be fairly simple - drill 3 more holes for higher motherboard standoff (2x top mount and 1x bottom left mount), cut out for the new cable plug hole and cutting the bit of the case to enlarge the rear IO cutout

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
hey, just want to double check on this render - the clearance of 30.58mm from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case, in this case the motherboard is mounted on:
  1. standard mounting position? OR
  2. the optional mounting position (that is 5mm higher) per page 9 of the manual?
Been looking at the manual today and I think the mod will be fairly simple - drill 3 more holes for higher motherboard standoff (2x top mount and 1x bottom left mount), cut out for the new cable plug hole and cutting the bit of the case to enlarge the rear IO cutout

Hey, yeah it is from the top of the motherboard to the top of the case in the standard position. Optional puts it 5mm higher, closer to the top panel. And yeah, you are right, that is all it would take! You can use a grommet for the ac cable.

• Love

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@riba2233 what bracket did you use to mount the pump by the way? Would be great if you can share some pictures of the mount.

I'm thinking since I'm using a D5 it will have to be a custom bracket or I'll have to butcher something.

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 what bracket did you use to mount the pump by the way? Would be great if you can share some pictures of the mount.

I'm thinking since I'm using a D5 it will have to be a custom bracket or I'll have to butcher something.

I used the most simple 2-piece L-bracket that EK sells and screwed it in with 2 countersunk bolts and nuts, nothing special and it will probably be different for each pump and application.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
I used the most simple 2-piece L-bracket that EK sells and screwed it in with 2 countersunk bolts and nuts, nothing special and it will probably be different for each pump and application.
you mean these rights? EK-UNI Holder 50/70 Indeed they look to be very flexible and minimal.

I only have access to this Barrow bracket - luckily my D5 pump has mounting holes at both the bottom and the back so I think I can make it work. Just need to have the case in hand to measure out the holes to make sure.

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
@riba2233 sorry for bugging you again with another question - the riser you're using is 20cm long right angle right? how much slack is left? and since I'm planning to move the motherboard up 30mm, would 20cm be long enough for the riser? Or should I look at 25cm instead?

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
@riba2233 sorry for bugging you again with another question - the riser you're using is 20cm long right angle right? how much slack is left? and since I'm planning to move the motherboard up 30mm, would 20cm be long enough for the riser? Or should I look at 25cm instead?
Np, just ask :) There is a lot of slack, in normal configuration you have to make two bends, like in manual.

• Love

thelaughingman

SFF Guru
Jul 14, 2018
In my build the psu is actually 140mm. No, 160mm is the hard limit.
understood. I've recently got a 3090 FE so I'm considering PSU upgrades over the SF750, don't want the PSU to be tripped up during full load. Since 160mm is the hard limit, Silverstone ST1200-PTS seems to be the best option - 80+ platinum, 1200W and just 140mm in length

EDIT: Upon looking at the reviews, the ST1200-PTS got poor performance results, guess I'll stick to the SX1000 instead

Last edited: