Advice Planning a Ghost S1 Water-Cooled 5900x + 3080 Build. Inputs appreciated.

harshad

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 23, 2017
www.harshadbari.com
A long time ago (6 years), I build a Ncase M1 SFF PC: NCase M1 Build
While I have built other PCs in between for friends, I am again on the path of building a new SFF beast for my main personal rig.
I have decided to go for a full custom loop in the Ghost S1 I had kickstarted few years ago but never got to build.
Done my research and have already bought most of the components. Well, except the pump. (And other watercooling related parts)

I would like some opinions on my plans based on the component list. 🖖
Also, any tips/suggestions/improvements are much appreciated and welcome. Especially, if based on your personal experience on building a water cooled machine. 🙏
Since it is my first watercooling build, everything is new knowledge for me. 🤓

The plan is for a single custom loop which includes the CPU + GPU using a single 240mm radiator with a separate Pump that can fit in the case.
Then undervolting both CPU & GPU.

Inspirations:
OptimumTech - The Liquid Cooled Ghost S1 is Complete! - YouTube
GGF Events - SUPER CLEAN! Dual Loop Ghost S1 SFF Build - 5900X | RTX 3090 | 64GB - YouTube
And many helpful posters on reddit and other forums.

Component list (Purchased):
Case: Louqe - Ghost S1 Mk.II
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 (5900x)
Motherboard: ASUS - ROG Strix Gaming (X570-I) Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z Neo 64GB(2x32gb) (3800MHz) (White/Black/RGB)
GPU: Zotac GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB GAMING Trinity OC
Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
PSU: Corsair SF750
Case Fan: ThermalTake ToughFan 12 x2

Water Cooling (Purchased):
CPU Block: EKWB - EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB - AMD Nickel + Plexi
GPU Block:
EKWB - EK-Quantum Vector Trinity RTX 3080/3090 D-RGB - Nickel + Plexi
GPU Backplate:
EKWB - EK-Quantum Vector Trinity RTX 3080/3090 - Black
Radiator:
Alphacool - NexXxoS ST30 Full Copper
Tubing:
Soft Tubing 10/16mm
Fittings:
EK- Quantum Torque STC-10/16 - Black x10
Angled Adapters:
EK-Quantum Torque Rotary 90° - Black x2
Coolant:
EKWB or ThermalTake Semi-Transparent

Not yet Purchased:
Fittings: Koolance LXG-2 (Need the low profile. Not available for me yet. Searching...)
Pump: ???
Reservoir: No Space. So mostly a pump top with small space.
Alphacool Leak Testing Tool incl. Pump
Alphacool Eiszapfen temperature sensor G1/4 IG/IG mit AG Adapter - deep black
Alphacool Eiszapfen quick release connector kit G1/4 inner thread - Deep Black

Part list also posted here:
Ghost S1 Build » PCPartPicker
Ghost S1 Build » builds.gg

Questions:
  1. The pump especially is a difficult decision. (The space + the design.) I like the Alphacool Eisdecke Dual Acrylic top which can take either 2 DDC or 2 DC-LT 2 pumps. But I don't know yet if it will fit in the case. I'm hoping Yes but I have yet to check. Either way (Dual or single), based on the fact that I have RTX 3080 + Ryzen 5900x, Should I go for DDC or DC-LT 2 pump(s)?
  2. I have been unable to get the Koolance LXG-2 low profile fittings that most of us are using but I'll keep trying.
  3. Thinking of including a Quick disconnect in the loop. Useful for future use?
  4. I have read the drain port is very important. Ideas on how to better to position it in the Ghost S1?
  5. About the fill port, is there a way to fill it from the top of the radiator. If I end up getting the Eisdecke, it will most probably be positioned at the bottom of the case.
  6. Since it's such a tiny case, not planning for a dedicated reservoir but can buy one just to fill externally. But would like to avoid since I have already spent a lot on the components.
  7. Any other accessories, fittings, adapters that can ease the building process.
Thank you in advance for your time.
Have a good day/night. ✌️

Reactions: hyshka

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
I've had my Ghost for over 3 years and I still love it but it can be challenging to watercool. You do not need 2 DDC pumps, 1 will be more than enough for your loop and you would have a lot of trouble fitting that Alphacool. Take a look at this pump mount from IceMan, very low profile and has multiple inlet and outlet ports. I don't know if you are in the US but I know the Koolance adapters can be hard to get in other parts of the world, here is an Amazon link if they ship where you are. I don't know how tall that EK 3080 block is but if you have room you could also use the EK terminal rotary 90. Personally I would avoid the quick diesconnect just because they are very bulky and you need all the room you can get, I would also recommend some unsleeved PSU cables like pslate makes. Good luck with your build.

Reactions: idgas

harshad

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
May 23, 2017
www.harshadbari.com
First, thank your for your reply.
If forgot to mention in the first post: I have all the TopHats for this case (L, M, S) and planning to use the L for the top radiator. Preferable, I want to avoid using the M or S unless absolutely necessary.

You do not need 2 DDC pumps, 1 will be more than enough for your loop and you would have a lot of trouble fitting that Alphacool.
I understand 1 DDC will be enough. This pump comes in D5 and DDC variants. The smaller variant can take either 2 DDC or 2 DC-LT2 pumps. I like the look of it. SO the question is DDC vs DC-LT2x2.
Here's a link of the pump just to confirm: https://www.aquatuning.us/water-coo...s/23265/alphacool-eisdecke-ddc-dual-acryl-top
For visual, here it is used by GGF in his builds: I will, of course, confirm measurements before buying.

Take a look at this pump mount from IceMan, very low profile and has multiple inlet and outlet ports.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check it. Looks great! I'm looking for an Acryl one just for cool looks but I will prefer function over form. :)
If I end up getting a non-acryl pump top, I will add a acryl flow meter(Alphacool Eisfluegel Aurora) in the loop for the looks purpose.

I don't know if you are in the US but I know the Koolance adapters can be hard to get in other parts of the world, here is an Amazon link if they ship where you are.
I will have to order from Performance-PCs as a last resort. I am in Asia.

Personally I would avoid the quick diesconnect just because they are very bulky and you need all the room you can get, I would also recommend some unsleeved PSU cables like pslate makes.
Okay! I will skip the disconnect. And I am planning to get sleeveless cables from CableMod.
Good luck with your build.
Thank you very much.

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Silver Supporter
Jul 7, 2017
That pump housing is a lot more compact then I was expecting and looks like it should fit fine. I have never used DC-LT2 pumps so I can't comment.

hyshka

Chassis Packer
Jun 10, 2020
Let us know where your thermals end up. I've been trying to collect some info on single 240mm rad builds. Have fun :)

Reactions: harshad