Raijintek Thetis: Another small ATX case

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Looks good! I might get a shorter PSU though so that your GPU sits level, but it's not really an issue...

RezRez

Cable Smoosher
May 25, 2019
Looks good! I might get a shorter PSU though so that your GPU sits level, but it's not really an issue...
It is an issue for sure! I reused PSU from old mining rig so not much choice there. Anyway, this build will probably be expanded into another mini-itx build once I need an upgrade.

joora

Case Bender
New User
Apr 27, 2020
Hi all,

since this isn't the most popular case, these forums are my best chance of getting an educated answer.

I'm in for a big upgrade, and moving form mITX and my beloved fractal node 304 to something bigger (so it can be able to sustain more brunt without too much tinkering with keeping it cool and silent)

As the case needed to be smaller than 40cm in height (while at the same time being a tower shape) and accommodate for 2,5-3 slot GPU's, the decision has fallen on Thetis (I have considered Silverstone's RL-08, which would provide me with better airflow and cooling options, but the Raijintek beats it hands down on looks).

The main components of my new build are
R9 3900x
Gigabyte 2070 Super Gaming OC
MSI b450m Mortar MAX
2 M2 drives, one 2.5 2tb ssd and 1 3.5 7200 HDD, which will be replaced for a 2.5 SSD soon
Trident neo Z RAM 3600 CL16 (this was the cheapest 3600 cl16 ram, I don't have use for RGB leds as aI have aluminum side panels)

Few key points about my use case scenario:
- the looks of the build aren't important to me because I don't have the glass panel version of the case
- Top priority for me as silent as possible operation during low and medium workloads
- I won't push the CPU and GPU very often, but when I do I would like to avoid throttling. Also, this would last for a significant time (rendering)
- not keen on expensive solutions or custom loops (I prefer AIO)
- not too keen on modding the case.

As the CPU and GPU can get pretty hot, I have issues for the cooling setup.

I was dead set on Arctic freezer II 240 on top as an intake, bottom back exhaust, and eventually a bottom intake.
But now I have some questions/reservations about that approach:

- Will the hot air from the radiator blowing on the GPU lower the thermal performance of the GPU?
- If I put the top as an exhaust, I recon taking away air from the GPU won't be beneficial either?
- is an air cooled approach with a massive tower air cooler (a la noctua nh-d15) a better approach? I would be able to blow cold air on the GPU while retaining somewhat silent operation, but I'm worried about PSU cooling in that case (as the CPU cooler would take most of the airflow)

All parts except cooler are on their way, so I would like to make a final decision on the ccoling so I could order it.

Any help is apprechiated.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome on SFF club..;)

Thetis is a capable case, competing vs Cerberus-X.

Basically, regarding your setup and needs (quiet/silent on low load), I'll advice you to go for NH-D15S (or D15 where you remove one fan..;)).

Maybe I missed the point in your message but I advice SFX or SFX-L psu.

Good example of simple & effective build :

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/raijintek-thetis-another-small-atx-case.5556/post-138905

Intake from rear/bottom, exhaust from top.

Reactions: joora and TheHig

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
I recently cut the entire bottom fan grill out of mine, much like how I cut out the rear fan grill.

I also removed the fine plastic mesh in the top metal grate to get more airflow.

joora

Case Bender
New User
Apr 27, 2020
Welcome on SFF club..;)

Thetis is a capable case, competing vs Cerberus-X.

Basically, regarding your setup and needs (quiet/silent on low load), I'll advice you to go for NH-D15S (or D15 where you remove one fan..;)).

Maybe I missed the point in your message but I advice SFX or SFX-L psu.

Good example of simple & effective build :

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/raijintek-thetis-another-small-atx-case.5556/post-138905

Intake from rear/bottom, exhaust from top.

Thanks for the answer, much appreciated.

I wasn't completely clear regarding PSU - I will take the PSU from my current rig, which is Seasonic Focus Plus Gold modular. It's not SFX or SFX-L, but should fit nicely as its 140mm long

My fear in regards to putting an noctua d15s in there is that the warm air from the CPU cooler will blow directly into the PSU intake, heating the PSU unit and making the PSU fan spin more often than necessary. Will that be a problem when pairing such large cooler with ATX PSU and, if yes, would the intake from the center bottom grate mitigate that problem?

KyleTasty

What's an ITX?
New User
Apr 28, 2020
Hi,

I want to thank all the builds in this thread as they were very helpful in figuring out what would fit.
Just swapped all my components from my H440 to my Raijintek Thetis.

I would've preferred a shorter PSU than the 180mm G2 as it wouldn't feel so tight and I would be able to mount a 3.5" Large capacity storage drive in the left drive mount, but for now I am happy. The rear SSD mounts are great help in this case.
Happy to report the EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (302mm Long) fits just fine. However I needed the hybrid kit to keep temps more under control.
All in all, Most games in 4K I sit around 50-60C for the GPU and slightly lower for the CPU, best part is the system is very quiet under load.

Specs: Added Lengths of some components to help others with their builds.
CPU: 6700K OC to 4.6
CPU Cooler: CM MasterLiquid 240 w/ Arctic P12 fans Push/Pull.
Mobo: Asus Z170-a
Ram: ADATA XPG 16GB Total
GPU: EVGA 2080 Super FTW3 Ultra (302mm Long) (Purchased EVGA Hybrid Kit for it a few days after using the Thetis case) Using two Arctic P12s for push/Pull on the hybrid kit too.
Boot Drive: Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB
Other Drives: WD Blue 1TB SSD for games and Samsung 2TB QVO SSD for everything else
PSU: EVGA 750 G2 (180mm Long)

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Did it help? I did the same on mine but I still didn't get to building in it, just got the parts recently...
I'm still thinking about cooling setup too...
I don't really have any before/after data, but it does seem to be quieter, either due to less air noise, or due to more airflow causing slower fan speeds due to lower temps... =)

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
Is the default config with this case top intake rear exhaust or rear intake, top exhaust? Seems like top exhaust might conflict with the GPU fans?

And I'm slightly concerned about intaking from the top, seems like you'll get even more dust than usual because of gravity. Are the included top dust filters good?

Last edited:

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
The top filters are pretty good. Default layout is top intake, exhaust out the back/bottom.

I've tried it a few different ways. I currently have the case on its back panel. I use the top and center bottom as intakes. PSU and rear fan are exhaust.

fma965

Cable Smoosher
Dec 21, 2019
I've literally registered to this forum just to post my build in this case, this case is amazing considering it's not much larger than some "mid size itx cases" and yet it can fit a ATX PSU and Motherboard.

So i have done a lot of changes in my computer since i last posted, this is now a Ryzen 5900x and RTX 3090 instead of a 7820x and 1080Ti

This is a absolute beast for the size now, and yes the 650GM PSU is kinda on the low end but i've measured at wall current under full stress CPU and GPU and it doesn't go above 600w so for now until PSU prices drop it will be fine.

AcquaCow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 14, 2017
Nice! That's a lot of PC in a little box.

I'm still looking at possibly finally picking up a Cerebus X or something now that I know I can build in a case this small. Would be nice to have some side-mounting options in a case like that.

erkki82

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 30, 2020
Thanks for all contributing to this thread.
Finished my project moving old system from antique Antec P182SE to this to save some space.
Keypart was to buy Corsair SF750 power, to fit that x99 Rampage V there.
Other stuff I had more or less already. I also opened the bottom and the rear fan grilles as they are terrible.
Took off the top dust filter and replaced it with Demicifilter that was a close match so no need for custom. Bottom some regular 120mm silverstone dust filter.

Top and bottom as intakes and rear as out. My case is a classic, solid panel version so less is more in rgb and light stuff 🙃

Key components i7-6900k, Sapphire Nitro+ vega64, Corsair Vengeance 4x16gb 3333cl16@3200cl14.
Top fans Arctic P12, rear Noctua NF-S12A PWM chromax

erkki82

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Nov 30, 2020
Made a small adjustment to case with new feets. 1cm taller about. Lowered the temps maybe 2-3c, but can't be certain or make apples to apples, as had to take the whole from the case. These were just random ebay feets.