Cooling Quick hands on the Cryorig Cu C7

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I test on an open bench because I want my results to be reproducible and it adds more complexity if others need the same case as me. It also allows the case variable to be removed and if someone wants to test case cooling performance later they have something to compare with.

Reactions: renecop545

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The problem with noise is it is so subjective. What I may find tolerable another may not. Plus the case itself will have just as much effect as the cooler’s fan in most examples. Unless your testing on an open bench, which is something I prefer reviewers to avoid.

1. Noise isn't as subjective as you think. Disliked noise is generally tonal, higher pitched, and have "spikes." They can be visualized using spectrum analysis. Overall sound volume can be measured using perceived noise curve, or weighted sound level meter, etc. They can be observed to be "disliked." SEE SPCR fan reviews.

2. We are comparing baseline performance, and generally, it is for the purpose of comparing classes of coolers so we can choose which one to put in our SFF case. It doesn't really matter that the case will affect the coolers. You generally want the biggest and best performing cooler you can fit in there, with enough clearance above it to avoid turbulence.

commonly divided classes of coolers:

sub 47mm - For dancase, S4, chopin, etc
58mm - Node 202, RVZ02, etc
60+ mm - All other cases

Reactions: renecop545

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If possible would be interesting to see the C7 regular vs C7 Cu compared with respect to time to reach peak temperature as well as time to cool over several cycles of say a five minute Prime95 test. I think where the Cu version may shine is with respect to sinking heat for longer before peaking out as well as cooling more quickly after an upcycle. @IntoxicatedPuma ?

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
actually... what if an NF-F12/A14 Industrial 3000 fan was used to cool the C7/C7cu somehow? read in the techpowerup article comments saying copper performs similarly if not enough air is being introduced more often

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
actually... what if an NF-F12/A14 Industrial 3000 fan was used to cool the C7/C7cu somehow? read in the techpowerup article comments saying copper performs similarly if not enough air is being introduced more often

SORRY FOR ALL CAPS ITS KIND OF LOUD. WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT NOCTUA INDUSTRIAL FANS?

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
You're probably in the minority. You can always crank the fan to 100% and get some better temps but most people need the context of noise to compare it with other coolers.

That may be the case that I'm in the minority. The more I think about it, the more I agree with the noise-controlled test as something I'd like to see but in addition to the absolute temperature rise test as well. Also, a fan-controlled (that is, same fan, different heatsink) test would be nice since I've already started dabbling in fan swapping (as do others, though I could neveer quite get that PWM % signal to read properly...).

If possible would be interesting to see the C7 regular vs C7 Cu compared with respect to time to reach peak temperature as well as time to cool over several cycles of say a five minute Prime95 test. I think where the Cu version may shine is with respect to sinking heat for longer before peaking out as well as cooling more quickly after an upcycle. @IntoxicatedPuma ?

I concur. If that is where we'd see theoretical benefits, it'd be good to verify. Similar principle to liquid coolers in that there needs to be sufficient time/load to heat-saturate it (steady-state, if you will) to know ifs true effectiveness.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
what ._. that's actually nuts

at this point if it were me I'm starting to figure out if I had a dud unit (by holding it in hand, staring at it and scratching my head) ._.

Reactions: caniplaymayo

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Well, that didn't do great. 3000 rpm and temperature rose 1 degree.

Most of the airflow is towards the blade tip. If you center it there is just a big dead zone in the center. Try using a corner offset.

Regardless I don't think it makes better performance but a large 120mm has much better noise signatures and can help have more positive airflow in a case.

Reactions: VegetableStu

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I pushed it to the edge and got 2 degrees cooler but obviously it wasn't a huge improvement. When set to 1500rpm it hit 100C so I shut it down.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016
Is it really much of a surprise that the Cu isn't doing much better? I'm more skeptical of the 15% gains and the like. Heatpipe coolers with copper fin versions have never had significant gains in performance over their aluminum versions. There's a reason why there's so few of them out.

Though if they come out with a Cu version of the C1, I'd still probably be first in line for it...

Reactions: IntoxicatedPuma

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Honestly having spent the last six months or more designing, iterating and redesigning my own heatsink I think the 15% gain etc. is likely marketing mumbo-jumbo. I have an all copper Deepcool HTPC-200 I had custom made as well as an aluminum finned version and the cooling difference is only a couple of degrees (certainly not enough to justify what I paid for the copper variant o_O). I will also be doing the same variants of my own heatsink and expect to see a relatively small delta in performance between copper and aluminum finned models. The only reason Cu would be better is if all of the other limiting factors (contact area, solder, heat transfer barriers) were so efficient as to make the material the rate limiter which seems to be very difficult to do.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
imagine the heft of their R1 coolers o_o they made (or at most rendered) copper prototypes of all their air coolers