Cooling Low-profile coolers comparison - any you want to see?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
You should also try the big chungus JF13K and its mini variant.

I've tried digging for it on the webs, but even Toms Hardware lists it as "limited U.S. Availability" .. not true, limited ANYWHERE availability.
Amazon lists it both unavailable in the US and Europe (although it once certainly was; I remember taking a look at it when GN did their review).

Alas, I've got 4 LP coolers for testing - for now - and two "regular" coolers, i.e the NH-L9D and the be quiet Silent Loop 2 280, for comparison. Additionally pondering about 120 mm AIOs, eg. the Alphacool Core Ocean T38; that one feels like a replacement of the permanently sold-out Arctic LF II 120. Pair it with a decent fan, eg. P12 Max or

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
I've tried digging for it on the webs, but even Toms Hardware lists it as "limited U.S. Availability" .. not true, limited ANYWHERE availability.
Amazon lists it both unavailable in the US and Europe (although it once certainly was; I remember taking a look at it when GN did their review).

Alas, I've got 4 LP coolers for testing - for now - and two "regular" coolers, i.e the NH-L9D and the be quiet Silent Loop 2 280, for comparison. Additionally pondering about 120 mm AIOs, eg. the Alphacool Core Ocean T38; that one feels like a replacement of the permanently sold-out Arctic LF II 120.

cu, w0lf.

If you live in the US you can get it on Amazon. Otherwise Aliexpress is your best bet. I got mine on TaoBao via a 3rd party in China, and you don't wanna know how much I paid for it.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
If you live in the US you can get it on Amazon. Otherwise Aliexpress is your best bet. I got mine on TaoBao via a 3rd party in China, and you don't wanna know how much I paid for it.
I live in Germany, so, no :)
Already tried Aliexpress. Unsuccessful as such. On the other hand, their search is really really "unrefined", to express it in a very circumvent, euphemistic way.

Edit: Amazon says "currenly unavailable not in store", which is the same what it did say for a while for the S400, but then just 2 days ago, it was resplenished (with "only x left"), so I guess this means the same, ie. items are on backorder and we have to wait for a while.
Meaning: There is hope left.

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

harryshuman

Trash Compacter
Jan 30, 2022
I live in Germany, so, no :)
Already tried Aliexpress. Unsuccessful as such. On the other hand, their search is really really "unrefined", to express it in a very circumvent, euphemistic way.

Edit: Amazon says "currenly unavailable not in store", which is the same what it did say for a while for the S400, but then just 2 days ago, it was resplenished (with "only x left"), so I guess this means the same, ie. items are on backorder and we have to wait for a while.
Meaning: There is hope left.

cu, w0lf.

PM me your budget for JF13K, maybe we can strike a deal via eBay.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Currently sorting out the parts and everything. Turns out: The cheapest cooler, ie. the one by Mars Gaming, doesnt even have any kind of backplate. Its also the only cooler who uses an el-cheapy plastic "ring" instead of any kind of solid metal-y mounting hardware. Really? Feels like a befuddled crossover of "I'd like some fancy mounting" and "oh, Intel gets it done without all that hassle".

The mounting hardware for both Thermalright coolers are identical, so I'm only gonna use one of these.

Noctua is not much different, I'd go as far and say the LGA 1700 backplate is almost identical to the ones by Thermalright, BUT with ONE important detail: It tells you WHICH side has to face to the mainboard!

Thats what I was missing dearly when installing the Arctic Liquid Freezer II: It takes quite some time to figure out which side of their backplate has to point towards the mainboard, because their "hint" is so ultra minuscle (you need to watch the "how to" videos to actually figure it out).

This annoying show stopper could have been avoided by just adding this little embossed print on the backplate, like on the noctua ones. Yes, maybe a few cents more cost involved, but really, not that much. And if they'd wanted to cheap out, using just a simple sticker would have done the trick, too. Eg. "this side to the mainboard - remove before application!" or so.

Ah well.

I'm wondering if I should start testing (and thus, building) with the Noctua first, because you can do multiple configurations?

On a similar topic: I might be doing a "lets rebuild my streaming system" stream on my Twitch channel, soon. Probably on a weekend (maybe 16/17th Dec?), Central European Timezone, in the afternoon or so. Figured I could just use my notebook to stream from the kitchen, because: MORE SPACE. Oh, and easy access to tea and food (possibly better lighting, at least till its getting dark, too) :D

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Update: Currently running a very simple stress test on the Meshlicious streaming system, in preparation for future rebuilding in the S400. So far, the cooling solution (be quiet Silent Loop 2 280) is doing its jobs perfectly. After about 27 minutes temps are:

CPU core max temp: 56° C (on 3 cores, rest is on 54 or 53, rest oughta be the E-Cores, which are mostly at 38 - 40° C)
NVME #1: 37° C
Wifi: 38° C

After stopping the test, the CPU temps instantly dropped to 29° C.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Test preparation: As the system I'm using for the tests is my streaming PC, I've decided to not do a "add, test, remove" robotic testing cycle, but instead go for IRL use cases, ie. using the system for its main purpose, plus some synthetic workload.

The planned testing as follows:

1. Install cooler and document how easy / horrible it was to set up
  2. Create a reasonable base fan curve to use with all coolers
  3. Installing two case fans on top (exhaust), one slim + one regular sized 25 mm fan (probably Silverstone Air Slimmer + Silverstone Airblazer 120RW)
  4. Do synthetic tests, i.e. 50% CPU load + 100% CPU load; if possible, also try to take noise levels; synthetic tests will be run for 15 minutes each, with taking thermals before (including room temperature etc), while running, right before deactiving the synthetic tests, and 30s after (should be reasonable, compared to the immediate thermal drop with the 280 mm radiator)
  5. Do IRL tests, ie. just doing my regular stream, which includes running OBS Studio (latest flatpak install) + VLC (audio relay) + projectM Visualizer with the Nestdrop 1000+ preset collection; NVenc encoding (ie. on the GPU) in FHD
  6. Use different fans, ie. the default one, then the Arctic P12 Max, and optionally a Silverstone Air Slimmer (if the default fan isnt already a slim fan by itself)
  7. If time allows for, create an optimized fan curve per cooler and setup
In the case of the NH-L12S I am going to start with the default fan, ie. the NF-A12x15, first, and then switch it out with the NF-A9 I bought, to do another test round (and stream) later the same week (if possible).

As I'm going to run the tests in the S400, several additional tests, like the High-Clearance Mode of the Noctua cooler, can only be performed with removed side panel (CPU clearance officially is 67 mm, but some suggest it might even be 69 - 70 mm).

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: Phuncz

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Started tearing down the Meshlicious streaming system about 6 hours ago, and am by now at least finished with preparing the mainboard, have done several test fits, and know how to continue after I've had a decent amount of sleep.

And also: Installation process of the Thermalright AXP120-x67 is such a PITA. Its not the system per se, but how its implemented. Fumbling around for 20 minutes just to get the CPU cooler inlet screws to finally grip. Or the absolutely unclear method on how to mount the fan. After 2 hours, I finally managed to figure out what goes where, and that the slim fan indeed somehow fits .. was nearly starting to think about: Just say f... it and use those smaller kind of zip ties to attach the fan.

And yeah, I've been working with various better and lesser thought-up CPU mounting systems in the past. But this one? Annoying AF.
Lets see tomorrow if all the effort was indeed worth it.

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
For progress, read up all the posts in the build log.

Preparing an overview article in my own blog, which I'm going to update with data while doing the tests.
Might write up a few single test / review articles for each cooler if I find some time in-between work and the rest of my (next to non-existant) life :)

Going to repost testing results etc. here when I'm done with most of it.

cu, w0

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Latest update: Silverstone Vida 240 - its not a low profile CPU cooler, but the slimmest 240 AIO available right now. Thermals in the S300 with CLOSED panels and NO air flow from the bottom are similar to the Thermalright SI-100 with OPEN panels and GOOD bottom airflow.

Well, one has to admit: The AIO is sitting on top, OUTSIDE of the case, but still: Airflow inside the case is next to zero (except for the PSU and the 80 mm slim fan on the mainboard side).

Cons:
- tubes are very stiff and inflexible (even worse than LF II 280)
- position of the inlet / outlet / refill ports is not the best
- mounting is a bit fiddly, esp. in corners with b760 / z690 / z790 boards, albeit the installation process itself is pretty straight-forward

Pros:
- light-weight: 780 g + fans
- radiator height: 22 mm
- pump is next to silent, expect at 100% rpm
- pump integrated in the radiator
- CPU block "pump" cover is removable
- refill port
- ships with best 120 mm slim fans available (AND they are ARGB)
- if you care for accessories: fan splitter, ARGB controller, mounting kits for all possible platforms, long and small radiator screws etc.

(gotta turn this into a proper review / test in the nearby future)

cu, w0lf.

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
Great thread, I will check your Blog, etc....:)

That is the only AIO cooler besides much more expansive custom setups that would fit in the Fractal Ridge and it has very solid reviews so I planned to get one. I bought the be quiet Shadow Rock LP to start out with, used for $25 shipped, and it has proven quite effective, so much so I am sticking with it for now though I have not run it with the case sides n yet as need to mod them to fit back on due to adding three 80mm front fans. Only during stress testing does the CPU get to 100c and that was before the added air flow from two of the front fans mostly blowing towards the MB area. During all the benchmark tests CPU has hit 51c, GPU maxed at 61c, CPU usually higher 40c range, GPU mid 50c.

Mentioning it as not listed on this thread, at least what I saw. I did get the Silverstone Air Slimmer fan for it as listed as highest pressure and more air flow than any other slim fan I could find info on and works much better than the slim Arctic I tried at first and at least as good if not better than the full height fan that came with the SR LP.

Different case but similar builds according to your first post, or two. 13600k which has shown 151 watts at the most I have seen, B760i MB, 32GB G.Skill DDR5 6000 CL32.....etc.....

I am tempted to find another much smaller case to mod, etc but I need tall and slim as it has to go under my desk, just so much fun building this stuff!

--------------------

Have you tried using a heat gun, hair dryer, etc to warm up the tubing on the AIO before installing? It could help a great deal.

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
The Vida sure looks like it does the job just fine, especially the radiator being so thin.

I like that case, I had to look at your first post as found 3 different cases listed as S400.

If you know of a slim case at least nearly as decent but smaller than the F Ridge please let me know.

Rick

Last edited:

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Great thread, I will check your Blog, etc....:)

That is the only AIO cooler besides much more expansive custom setups that would fit in the Fractal Ridge and it has very solid reviews so I planned to get one. I bought the be quiet Shadow Rock LP to start out with, used for $25 shipped, and it has proven quite effective, so much so I am sticking with it for now though I have not run it with the case sides n yet as need to mod them to fit back on due to adding three 80mm front fans. Only during stress testing does the CPU get to 100c and that was before the added air flow from two of the front fans mostly blowing towards the MB area. During all the benchmark tests CPU has hit 51c, GPU maxed at 61c, CPU usually higher 40c range, GPU mid 50c.

You have to plan thoroughly, the tube position can be detrimential, but not necessarly. I did several test fits, and was able to lower the whole combination of radiator + tubes down to 8 cm, 7ish cm. So with the fans sitting on the inner side of the rad, it should be possible to install the AIO inside the Ridge. With a GPU side-by-side it might get a bit toasty, but doable.

Have you tried using a heat gun, hair dryer, etc to warm up the tubing on the AIO before installing? It could help a great deal.
No, I just flipped the case (by 180°), cut another hole in the bottom (which is now the top of the case) - and that did the job :)

The S300 is just one of the few cases that looked perfect for a 240 AIO / radiator. Others that I looked at as potential fallback options were: A4-H2O, Fractal Design Terra, SGPC K49 and also the K49 Pro (its a Ghost S1 clone, basically).

The S400 would, in theory, also work with a 280 AIO / radiator. I did a test mockup with the be quiet Silent Loop 2 280, and .. it fit like a glove underneath the top frame 😱

cu, w0lf.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
The Vida sure looks like it does the job just fine, especially the radiator being so thin.

I like that case, I had to look at your first post as found 3 different cases listed as S400.

If you know of a slim case at least nearly as decent but smaller than the F Ridge please let me know.

Really depends on how much effort you want to put into it. As one can see, the S300 pimped for liquid cooling works just fine, but you would have to be comfortable with a Dremel, grinding / metal-crafting tools and lots of tinkering.

There is a S450 around, ie. a liquid cooling enabled sandwich-style 12L case, thats clearly based on the S400 (because of the less ideal position of the power cord extension), but its 4 kg vs. the 2.5 kg of the S400 (vs. the now 1.8 kg of my "S396").

For console style and semi-console style cases, the Silverstone Milo ML08 / Raven Z RV02 etc. are very similar in structure to the Ridge; I'd go as far and call them the ancestors of the Ridge design. But they need additional work when wanting to install an AIO or custom loop.

Another option might be the SFFTime P-ATX (10.4L; but officially only supports 120 mm AIOs) or the N-ATX (15L, supports up to 360 mm radiators and AIOs).

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: riba2233

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
I like that you are willing to mod things to make them do what you want them to, that is the most fun out off this for me at least:)

I sure understand planning ahead, much easier if the parts are on hand than going by measurements alone.
With the Vida I would have around 12mm between GPU and fans both pulling in air so I added the three front fans and planned to run the top fans blowing in so six 80mm fans blowing into the case and most of it towards and between the GPU and AIO fans, I was working on ducting ideas to ensure both got enough air. I was going to block the rear upper case vents as well then use the AIO and GPU fans to blow air out the sides. Also the side fan/AIO mounts could be cut out and custom mounts made to add approx 3mm more spacing between GPU and AIO.

I had to lower the PS 6mm or so to fit 3 fans up front and a lot of metal work and misplaced my dremel so used a big angle grinder, it was not easy and took a lot of hand filing to clean it up and will get more detail work when I find my dremel...

Since am not using AIO, at least yet, I turned the top fans around to blow out, did not seem to make much difference but again, no case sides installed yet. I finally got the filters I ordered and installed and all the wiring that can be hidden quite nicely done so will get busy on the side mods to get them to fit. I had to take a break, adding a bunch of raised bed garden area around our RV so we have 6 times more growing space and had a Optiplex 7040 and 7080 to prepare to list for sale.

I will check out those other cases, I can put the computer sideways in the back of the footwell of the desk instead of beside the inside of it so a different case design will work now. My original plan was to install as slot loaded BD drive in the Ridge, not easy but can be done so I wanted access to it but now not going to install the drive, just get a caddy for it instead as will hardly ever or even never use it.

I have not looked at those other cases except the Terra which I like the looks of a great deal. Now I am also looking at something very small and flat I can mount the back of the monitor. It would be in two parts due to monitor stand in the way though I could redo the sliding mount into a fixed design and mount the stand to the bottom of it. Not likely what I will do, just a thought process....

Last edited:

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
Maybe I will settle on what I built as really like it or go as small as I can and put on my desk after all. It is 61cm deep and 137cm wide, 2CM green Brazilian soapstone top, pulled out with 2" wood addition on rear to allow cables to pass through. Pretty decent desk size for an RV and room for big audiophile grade speakers on each side of it(DIY of course)

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Maybe I will settle on what I built as really like it or go as small as I can and put on my desk after all. It is 61cm deep and 137cm wide, 2CM green Brazilian soapstone top, pulled out with 2" wood addition on rear to allow cables to pass through. Pretty decent desk size for an RV and room for big audiophile grade speakers on each side of it(DIY of course)
It really depends on how small you wanna go, or if other considerations are the priority (eg. weight, vertical space etc.).
I suggested the cases mostly based on roughly "equal or smaller in size as the Ridge", but other good options may include:

1. Cases that are rather easy to build in, both with AIO and air cooling:
Meshlicious / Meshroom S (sandwich tower), Meshroom D (classic or sandwich), Sharkoon QB One (classic layout), Mechanic Master C26 and C28 (clones are floating around Amazon lately under various different names; classic layout), NR200(P) (the goat), SAMA IM01 and its various clones

2. Cases which are decent for their regular setup, but need a bit more creativity for larger cooling options:

a) Silverstone Sugo 16 - officially supports only 120 mm AIO / radiators, large air coolers up to 172 mm with SFX PSU, but with a bit of creative effort, one would be able to install a radiator of up to 27 mm in top, and approx 220 mm GPU on the side (see my musings in the Mesh-mATX thread, roughly starting on the 4th page)

b) Silverstone Sugo SG13 - officially only supports LP coolers (for which this thread originally was meant, hence we should split this topic *hint hint*) and 120 / 140 mm AIO in the front.

But there is the "SFX PSU in the front"-mod, basically moves the PSU to the front, zip ties to the rescue, but I've seen 3d printed PSU brackets, too; that frees the space above the CPU for really large air cooling, but in theory, you might also be able to use a 180 or 200 mm radiator (there is a 200 mm AIO by Alphacool)

Well, thats just stuff from either my research or experience (SG 16, Meshlicious / Meshroom S) ...

BUT at this point, I STRONGLY suggest looking up cases at the SFF PC Master List, which lists a whole plethoria of cases with all dimensions, weight, regular cooling options, initial prices and manufacturer links, and then getting either back here and open a seperate thread for your search, or dig deeper into the interwebs / this forum / r/sffpc + co. for further inforrmation ;)

cu, w0lf.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

RAAM

Average Stuffer
Feb 24, 2024
I had not seen the MBL, going to check it our right now. Dang, nice list!

Thank you very much for the info and your time to write it up, much appreciated:)

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch