Cooling Quick hands on the Cryorig Cu C7

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Hello guys, a post form China :D, just got my hands on the Cryorig Cu C7 with graphite coating, and a pair of fan clips for 90mm low-profile fans like Noctua A9x14, love to share some pics: , and if you have any questions about this cooler I'll try my best to answer :D. Please remember we're living in different time zones so my reply may not be in-time.

Here's my quick temp test, results are not looking too good for me, I'm using all same settings as with my Alu C7, the Cu C7 got around 10 degree C less (averaging 85 comparing to Alu's 95, I was hoping for a 20ish drop haha) during ASUS Real Bench 15min stress test. Specs: ASUS Z370i, 8700K delid + Conductonaut 1.13V@4.3 all core, 0 AVX offset, using Kryonaut as paste between cooler and IHS. Can confirm all my applications were correct as this same chip got max 75C when using 240mm AIO when 1.27V@4.8.

And you can check out my post here on CHH:https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1842508-1-1.html, sorry but it's in Chinese though :(

EDIT: One important thing I forgot to mention, the ambient temps when testing Cu C7 are around 20 degC as it's almost summer in my city now. Ambient temps during my Alu testing were around 10 degC back in November.

UPDATE: Just finished testing, check my datasheet here: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlY8Fq5UzlxmgeRtxBuTTDLRmmQdcw, a bit frustrating, but still deliver some useful info. May add some pics of testing as well :D

Last edited:

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Thanks for sharing that, really nice.

10 degree celsius improvement is not bad at all, that's more than what Cryorig employee told me.
Also, I wonder if the graphene coating affected the results in any way... Do you know if your numbers are on par with C7 Cu stock unit?

Cheers :)

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Thanks for sharing that, really nice.

10 degree celsius improvement is not bad at all, that's more than what Cryorig employee told me.
Also, I wonder if the graphene coating affected the results in any way... Do you know if your numbers are on par with C7 Cu stock unit?

Cheers :)

Thanks for the reply, all my numbers for both alu and cu versions were drawn with coating and noctua fan combo. However I do remember when I was using the non-coated alu c7 with Noctua fan, the temps were around 3 to 5 degrees higher than the coated alu c7. And sorry I never used the stock fan for acoustic reason. :)

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: BernardoZ

BernardoZ

Founder of Z-CASES
z-cases.com
Feb 7, 2018
www.z-cases.com
Thanks for the reply, all my numbers for both alu and cu versions were drawn with coating and noctua fan combo. However I do remember when I was using the non-coated alu c7 with Noctua fan, the temps were around 3 to 5 degrees higher than the coated alu c7. And sorry I never used the stock fan for acoustic reason. :)

Cheers
Huh, that's interesting.

So I guess the graphene coating really gives some improvement afterall (I hope so).
It's not 10 degree or 30%, like the seller claims, but good to know. What do you think @IntoxicatedPuma ?

Reactions: Hudzzy

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
This is a promising first-look. Looking forward to cross-testing from others to confirm and also to see what the official US price looks like. From there, it'll be a price/performance determination of whether a roundabout 10 degC drop would be worth the cost and effort (not taking the graphene coating into account). I also wonder if they'll ever release that C7 aftermarket fan bracket too. Thanks for the advanced look.

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
Can u compare this to an LP53?
Strangely my LP53+Noctua A14x9 combo performed worse than my Alu C7+A14x9, not sure what's wrong but just my experience (plus LP53 can only mount in one direction as the heat pipes interfere with VRM heatsinks on motherboard).

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
This is a promising first-look. Looking forward to cross-testing from others to confirm and also to see what the official US price looks like. From there, it'll be a price/performance determination of whether a roundabout 10 degC drop would be worth the cost and effort (not taking the graphene coating into account). I also wonder if they'll ever release that C7 aftermarket fan bracket too. Thanks for the advanced look.
Thanks for the reply, more reviews about this cooler should coming out soon. FYI, in Chinese market the Alu C7 costs 219 CNY and Cu C7 costs 369 CNY, and coating costs 50 CNY, pair of fan clips are 39 CNY.

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
One important thing I forgot to mention, the ambient temps when testing Cu C7 are around 20 degC as it's almost summer in my city now. Ambient temps during my Alu testing were around 10 degC back in November.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
One important thing I forgot to mention, the ambient temps when testing Cu C7 are around 20 degC as it's almost summer in my city now. Ambient temps during my Alu testing were around 10 degC back in November.

1) It is a pity that you did not test the old Al version one more time just before switching to the Cu version.
In this way, you can eliminate the ambient temp difference between now (April) and then (November).
So, if the ambient temp was 10C then and 20C now, this means the total gain from Al to Cu can potentially be 20C!
(BTW, 10C indoor temp is cold!)

2) With ambient temp around 20C, why the Minimum temp (~52C) is so high?

3) Do you mind running a quick test with the side panel off, to minimize any case airflow effect?

4) What is the temp for the 960 Pro?

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
1) It is a pity that you did not test the old Al version one more time just before switching to the Cu version.
In this way, you can eliminate the ambient temp difference between now (April) and then (November).
So, if the ambient temp was 10C then and 20C now, this means the total gain from Al to Cu can potentially be 20C!
(BTW, 10C indoor temp is cold!)

2) With ambient temp around 20C, why the Minimum temp (~52C) is so high?

3) Do you mind running a quick test with the side panel off, to minimize any case airflow effect?

4) What is the temp for the 960 Pro?

You're absolutely right!

1) My bad, I planned to run a test with Alu before disassembly but I was too excited for the new cooler and damn I forgot that :p and you may know replacing the cooler takes lots of process in this tiny case so I'll just leave it.

2) RealTemp GT was launched after multiple runs of stress test, so the temps are a bit higher than normal idle temp, also my fan profile is customed for better acoustics hence the slower dissipation. Here's the screenshot I just took after 20min of light usage (web browsing, YouTubing etc,.)

3) Yes I can do that later today, I do see some airflow restricitons with these ultra fine filters.

4) For now my 960 Pro sits on 51 degC after light use.

Edited for minor grammar changes, sorry this is not my first language :D

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I am following your thread in Chiphell as well. So, you are using an A4 clone case. Would you please give me a Taobao link?

From your experience of this motherboard in this A4 case, have you ever seen thermal throttling of the 960 Pro?

And, do not worry about your grammar for me. I am Chinese and so I can understand your Chinese style English. ;)

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
I am following your thread in Chiphell as well. So, you are using an A4 clone case. Would you please give me a Taobao link?

From your experience of this motherboard in this A4 case, have you ever seen thermal throttling of the 960 Pro?

And, do not worry about your grammar for me. I am Chinese and so I can understand your Chinese style English. ;)
Thanks for the reply.

Link of this case: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...b0rlo6&id=545250722223&ns=1&abbucket=9#detail

The drive could go up to 75 to 80ish in more demanding senarios, but so far I haven't notice any throttling.

Haha cheers m8, I don't really enjoy CHH's discussing atmosphere, bunch of brand worshiping fanboys, and always being picky to whatever your input is but yeah that's the best Chinese hardware forum already.

jenosmaverick

Cable Smoosher
Apr 6, 2018
@Hudzzy
Uhmm I wonder if I can still get the C7 cu graphene at that price cause currently it's price skyrocketed. Is it the actual price the 3999? I do love that stealth look and your testing also shows it is better than the regular C7. Thanks!! :D

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
The seller isn't responding so I have a feeling that the price increased because he is overbooked. I saw on Reddit and some other sites that alot of people were ordering that cooler.

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
The seller isn't responding so I have a feeling that the price increased because he is overbooked. I saw on Reddit and some other sites that alot of people were ordering that cooler.
He is a small distributer that's the only reason I can think of, but I can see another seller (from tmall, basically means this is a larger distributer) still offering the original price here, but without coating service: https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?s...720753&cm_id=140105335569ed55e27b&abbucket=16

Reactions: Soul_Est