Cooling Quick hands on the Cryorig Cu C7

Hudzzy

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 11, 2018
WOW 1700 rmb is similar to the cost of a dan case already...

I don't have the tool for delidding at the moment, for the current usage of my system, I hardly reach the thermal limit (I'm also quite lazy to tear the system apart and put together, again and again, HAHAHA, such a pain to work with itx), maybe when there is newer cooler comes out for the dan case, I will do something with delidding. I hope to see better cooler for A4 case.

I have posted a thread previously for my build, here is the link: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...timers-perspective-i7-8700k-gtx-1070-ti.6906/
Nice work mate! Good cable works and that RGB ram sticks look amazing. Yes it is really painful to work with the A4 case.

Due to the height limitation, I feel the cooling potential is reaching the limit. Maybe the Asetek 92mm AIO is already the ultimate solution for A4.

Reactions: IceIceBear

IceIceBear

Chassis Packer
Mar 5, 2018
Nice work mate! Good cable works and that RGB ram sticks look amazing. Yes it is really painful to work with the A4 case.

Due to the height limitation, I feel the cooling potential is reaching the limit. Maybe the Asetek 92mm AIO is already the ultimate solution for A4.

AIO is good, but can't carry for boarding due to liquid in the loop. Also, I feel the tubes are really interfering with the power cables, plus at radiator and fan mounting point, even with sfx PSU, cables may touch the fan blades very easily.

Here are some newer pictures:
I added in custom cables and an RGB stripe in the GPU chamber

I also got an interesting product on taobao, hand carry case for A4! Easier to carry on for boarding.

can put a 60% keyboard too I think.

Fenrir

Caliper Novice
Feb 7, 2018
Not a C7, but I tested my C1 in 4 different orientations, and the results basically match the Noctua recommendation, but it honestly doesn't matter much unless every last degree is critical.

Cryorig C1
Noctua NF-P14s @ 800 RPM
i7-6700k @ 4.2GHz 1.15v
Prime95 28.9 Small-FFT (the hard version, AVX/FMA3) for 10 minutes
Average temp across 4 cores

Heatpipes pointed up: 73.13

Heatpipes pointed down (the "bad" way): 75.2

Heatpipes pointed sideways: 73.3

Case and heatsink laid flat: 74.65

Sideways and up are the best, downward and flat are the worst, but it's not a huge margin.
The C1 has sintered heatpipes, so orientation doesn't really matter on that one.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
Reactions: NinoPecorino

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Some guy over on Reddit SSFPC also got a review of his CU in copper. It appears his results were disappointing.

The only difference from the OPs copy is the graphene coating.

Not really consistent with the 10 Degree drop as seen by the OP. That is, if the graphene coating alone makes a huge 10C difference?

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/8i5t4p/my_cryorig_cu_copper_installation/?sort=new
He is comparing it to an LP53, which is considered one of the best choices. The question is how does this compare to the Noctua or the regular version?

Overall though it may not perform that much better but the aesthetics is great.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I don't know why you'd compare this to the Noctua as it is a full 10mm taller with significantly more surface area and a more substantial heatpipe array. I'd argue that the LP53 is a better comparison as it is constructed from the same material and the overall height is also closer (albeit still a fair bit lower 25mm + 15mm = 40mm)

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't know why you'd compare this to the Noctua as it is a full 10mm taller with significantly more surface area and a more substantial heatpipe array. I'd argue that the LP53 is a better comparison as it is constructed from the same material and the overall height is also closer (albeit still a fair bit lower 25mm + 15mm = 40mm)

The cases that would fit the Noctua usually also fit the C7. People usually buy coolers based on class of size, value for money, aesthetics, and availability. The LP53 while a great cooler has issues with availability and costs a good bit more, as it requires an additional Noctua fan. $30 C7, $40 L9, $50 C7 Cu, $70 LP53 kit. People don't care how the cooler is mechanically designed.

The surface area and heatpipe design on the C7 may not be as indicative of it's performance as we'd expect. The L9 is a heavier cooler while much smaller than the C7 au, indicating it is heftier. While there may be more heatpipes, the design means a large part of the fins aren't making solid contact with the heatpipes. I'd argue that 4 heatpipes is too many as they aren't making proper contact with the fins. The LP53 while smaller performs similarly because the heatpipes extend beyond the 95mm fin array to make solid contacts.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@Kmpkt I don't know why anyone shouldn't compare the C7 Cu with noctua l9a or l9i, they practically have the same audience and availability.

I recently installed the C7 Cu with noctua 92mm fan, and can only see the benefit at max rpms when I'm stress testing it. At $50, with just the stock fan, the user experience is much better with noctua than the C7 Cu, with same idle and light usage temps with a much better noise and volume quality.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I'm kind of with KMPKT, there are a lot of cases that will fit the Noctua L9i but not the Cryorig C7, especially in the SFF realm. If I was going to do a comparison, I'd go with the LP53 and C7 as they are almost the same height and while yes there are quite a few that can't fit the LP53 but could fit the C7, they're similar enough that you can compare and debate the merits of the two designs.

In the end though, none of the comparisons should be done in "classes" - buyers are going to get the best performing cooler that can fit their budget and case, so they should be looking at anything that fits their specific needs.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I guess I should have been more specific in saying you should probably use the LP53 as the primary comparison due to it having greater similarities to the C7 Cu with respect to size and materials. Fact of the matter seems to be that the LP53 outperforms the C7 Cu by a couple of degrees despite being a full 7mm shorter. With respect to the C7 and the L9i, obviously you should compare them, but the C7 won't fit in a number of scenarios where the L9i will, the most notable of these being the S4M/S4M-C. Given the similar construction with base soldered fins, the C7 should have like 30% more surface area when compared to the L9i which is not (in my opinion) insignificant.

Narwhal

Average Stuffer
Jan 30, 2018
Hello guys, a post form China :D, just got my hands on the Cryorig Cu C7 with graphite coating, and a pair of fan clips for 90mm low-profile fans like Noctua A9x14, love to share some pics: , and if you have any questions about this cooler I'll try my best to answer :D. Please remember we're living in different time zones so my reply may not be in-time.

Here's my quick temp test, results are not looking too good for me, I'm using all same settings as with my Alu C7, the Cu C7 got around 10 degree C less (averaging 85 comparing to Alu's 95, I was hoping for a 20ish drop haha) during ASUS Real Bench 15min stress test. Specs: ASUS Z370i, 8700K delid + Conductonaut 1.13V@4.3 all core, 0 AVX offset, using Kryonaut as paste between cooler and IHS. Can confirm all my applications were correct as this same chip got max 75C when using 240mm AIO when 1.27V@4.8.

And you can check out my post here on CHH:https://www.chiphell.com/thread-1842508-1-1.html, sorry but it's in Chinese though :(

EDIT: One important thing I forgot to mention, the ambient temps when testing Cu C7 are around 20 degC as it's almost summer in my city now. Ambient temps during my Alu testing were around 10 degC back in November.

UPDATE: Just finished testing, check my datasheet here: https://1drv.ms/x/s!AlY8Fq5UzlxmgeRtxBuTTDLRmmQdcw, a bit frustrating, but still deliver some useful info. May add some pics of testing as well :D
how and where did you get a graphite coate one?? (it look soooo good) and also where did you get the fan clips ???

DanT

Average Stuffer
Feb 6, 2018
So the graphene coating C7 Cu perform better than a retail Cu and Alu versions? I plan to fit it in my new Dan A4-SFX V3!

Fenrir

Caliper Novice
Feb 7, 2018
So the graphene coating C7 Cu perform better than a retail Cu and Alu versions? I plan to fit it in my new Dan A4-SFX V3!
It does a good job cooling my delidded 8700k atleast.
The noctua Fan never spins higher than 900rpm under normal use like watching videos and playing games.

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
Resurrecting this old thread. Well not too old. This is about the best source of discussion on the graphene coated C7 CU.

I'm looking at buying one off TB and it appears the seller includes the noctua fan and clips - for less than the cost of the CU version alone!

Seems like a really good deal and customer photos show it does indeed come with fan and clips.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...K503Dn&id=562561449208&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Is there more testing from other people? I'll probably get the graphene CU version anyway.

PhiBeR

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018
Resurrecting this old thread. Well not too old. This is about the best source of discussion on the graphene coated C7 CU.

I'm looking at buying one off TB and it appears the seller includes the noctua fan and clips - for less than the cost of the CU version alone!

Seems like a really good deal and customer photos show it does indeed come with fan and clips.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...K503Dn&id=562561449208&ns=1&abbucket=5#detail

Is there more testing from other people? I'll probably get the graphene CU version anyway.

This is not the CU version, but the normal version. if it's Cu, it will have the words 全铜 which means full copper.

The Cu version is here, https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?sp...316&pvid=cafccfea-cdb5-4684-9e80-b1e75e21b753 and it does not come with Graphene

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
Thanks so much, didn't even realise. Spent so long looking at C7s it melted my brain.

Good thing I purchased a spare A9x14 and I already have a regular C7. I'll see how that goes cos the CU graphene version is very expensive.

PhiBeR

Cable Smoosher
Dec 30, 2018
it's a PITA trying to find ex-stock for the C7 Cu.
Anyone know a better alternative?

My height clearance is 50mm and I'm trying to run a i7-8700 at stock. ambient is high at 28 to 30c.. :(

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
it's a PITA trying to find ex-stock for the C7 Cu.
Anyone know a better alternative?

My height clearance is 50mm and I'm trying to run a i7-8700 at stock. ambient is high at 28 to 30c.. :(
I took a quick look around Taobao and saw one or two shops still have a very small stock of C7 Cu.
Eg the shop below has a stock of 2 (at least it so claims. So, need to contact them for certainty).
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a21wu.12321156-tw.0.0.592d36c3K0mjwk&id=570509201727

Reactions: rifter