Power Supply PSU fan swap failed - Delta 400w 1u

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
I have a 400W delta 1u PSU that I got alongside an early K39 off taobao. I've only now gotten around to doing a fan swap, which I assumed would be fine with a noctua. Found out after from 1 reddit thread that it's not enough which I can believe but it's just one thread, that's a separate issue though.

I soldered the noctua 40mm x 10mm fan (NF-A4X10) in the exact same configuration as the previous fan, which I am now thinking is a fan swap itself by the modder/seller. The fan I got in the unit is a delta ASB0412LC (12V 0.06A PWM).

What's weird is the wire config:

• The black wire from the fan was soldered to the black wire on the cable.
  • The red wire from the fan was soldered to the blue wire on the cable.
  • The yellow wire from the fan was soldered to a separate thick yellow wire that's soldered to the mobo.
  • Red wire from the cable was unused but is present in the plug itself (tiny 3 pin plug).

This config worked before and ran fine. It was just a bit noisy like it was a dying old fan, this is the reason I wanted to swap.

When I plugged it in, the PC booted but the fan didn't kick on. It would then restart itself 5-10s after booting with an audible click. I assume this is the PSU's protection system shutting it down due to not detecting a fan or rpm.

What should my next steps be?

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
I have a 400W delta 1u PSU that I got alongside an early K39 off taobao. I've only now gotten around to doing a fan swap, which I assumed would be fine with a noctua. Found out after from 1 reddit thread that it's not enough which I can believe but it's just one thread, that's a separate issue though.

I soldered the noctua 40mm x 10mm fan (NF-A4X10) in the exact same configuration as the previous fan, which I am now thinking is a fan swap itself by the modder/seller. The fan I got in the unit is a delta ASB0412LC (12V 0.06A PWM).

• The yellow wire from the fan was soldered to a separate thick yellow wire that's soldered to the mobo.
  • Red wire from the cable was unused but is present in the plug itself (tiny 3 pin plug).

This config worked before and ran fine. It was just a bit noisy like it was a dying old fan, this is the reason I wanted to swap.

When I plugged it in, the PC booted but the fan didn't kick on. It would then restart itself 5-10s after booting with an audible click. I assume this is the PSU's protection system shutting it down due to not detecting a fan or rpm.

please forgive me if i'm interjecting here, but wouldn't it save a whole lot of money, time, and energy, to just buy this, which already has a quiet fan - https://www.velkase.com/products/enp-7660b

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
Way too expensive, with shipping to australia, that comes to $199 USD or over $270 AUD.

The case and PSU I bought cost roughly $120-130 AUD.

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com

Unfortunately different fans use different color codes for the cables. Sounds like something was mixed up during the fan swap (I guess tachometer and +12V).

Maybe this will help:

laser_ninja

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Aug 19, 2018
kennui.com
Hey thanks for the comment. I'm fairly confident I connected the new fan exactly as the previous fan was connected.

The previous fan is a delta with red, black and yellow wires, so I don't think it's some weird format like 12v being on yellow or something.

Kommando

Average Stuffer
Dec 19, 2020
The needed information is usually shown directly on the board of the fan, where the cables are soldered to it.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Some guy did a fan swap with a Delta 400AB here:-

As always with any mod of a PSU, exercise caution.
(Use a translator. If the translation does not make sense, I might be able to help with translation)

Reactions: Phuncz