Corsair SF 80+ Platinum Fan Mod/Swap

Sazexa

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
I've seen plenty of fan swaps on Corsair 80+ Gold units. There's easy to find adapters for that. I have a SF600 80+ Platinum, and just wanted to give a head's up that the internal connector is different. I hadn't seen anyone do this mod on a 80+ Platinum unit so, I figured I'd throw it out there and maybe help someone save a quick $10 so they don't have to accidentally order two adapters like I did. I'm pretty sure the regular 80+ Gold units use just a 3-pin Mini-GPU (with only two wires) to 3-pin normal size fan connector.

The 80+ Platinum uses a 4-wire PWM fan. I was able to find a 4-pin mini-GPU fan head to regular 4-pin PWM fan header adapter, and put it in the power supply. The PSU has the female end, with the pins on it, the fan has the male end that plugs into it. I then put in a Noctua NF-A9x14 HS Chromax fan, and left the grill removed from the unit. It's inside a case anyways, a grill is a little unnecessary and it will help keep noise down if the fan decides to ramp up.The adapter cable itself was about four inches long, and the cable on the fan was pretty long, but I found a good way to loop it around so that it wouldn't really block any airflow or be close to any circuitry components. The decorative sleeving on the wires shouldn't be conductive, but, I wasn't going to chance it on the inside of the PSU lol

Here's some pictures, you can kind of see the route I did for the cables and the cable adapter itself.

Last edited:

teenyweeny

Efficiency Noob
Dec 30, 2019
I thought these were supposed to be pretty quiet on their own? If you're going to do a fan swap why not just get a cheaper PSU, like a Silverstone?

Sazexa

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
I thought these were supposed to be pretty quiet on their own? If you're going to do a fan swap why not just get a cheaper PSU, like a Silverstone?
The Noctua fan will move more air and remain a small bit quieter. Truth be told if was more of a visual mod than a performance one. It's going into a sandwich style case where the PSU is next to the motherboard. I'll have both fan surfaces visible from the same angle in the PSU and on my CPU cooler. So, I want them to match.

I wanted the efficiency, and smaller size of a true SFX unit. So a little mod never hurt. Plus this unit has a seven year warranty.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2016
I don't know if they'll honour the warranty now that you've modded it.

Reactions: Medeyer

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Nice photos and write-up, thanks for sharing.

For some reason I thought these PSUs used 80mm fans (at least a Silverstone I did a fan mod back in the day on used one).

That Noctua is a 92mm fan, right?

Reactions: Sazexa

VegetableStu

Shrink Way Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
The 80+ Platinum uses a 4-wire PWM fan. I was able to find a 4-pin mini-GPU fan head to regular 4-pin PWM fan header adapter, and put it in the power supply. The PSU has the female end, with the pins on it, the fan has the male end that plugs into it. I then put in a Noctua NF-A9x14 HS Chromax fan, and left the grill removed from the unit. It's inside a case anyways, a grill is a little unnecessary and it will help keep noise down if the fan decides to ramp up.The adapter cable itself was about four inches long, and the cable on the fan was pretty long, but I found a good way to loop it around so that it wouldn't really block any airflow or be close to any circuitry components. The decorative sleeving on the wires shouldn't be conductive, but, I wasn't going to chance it on the inside of the PSU lol
okay, that scores major brownie points to my next PSU choice O_O

Sazexa

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
I don't know if they'll honour the warranty now that you've modded it.
I believe in the US as long as I haven't physically irreversibly modified or damaged a component, that law about opening it up was ruled unneforcable.

Nice photos and write-up, thanks for sharing.

For some reason I thought these PSUs used 80mm fans (at least a Silverstone I did a fan mod back in the day on used one).

That Noctua is a 92mm fan, right?
Thanks for the kind words! I can post a few more photos when I get home, less pretty ones from my phone for documentation purposes. I believe some of Silverstone's SFX units use a 80mm fan, and their SFX-L units fit a 120mm. The Noctua fan is a 92mm x 14mm thick. The origin fan included is a Corsair "NR092L" (there are a few variants, with different connectors and wire count/PWM, as is the main point of this thread, the specifics of the 80+ platinum). If I recall the sticker saying. 92mmx15mm. You definitely won't fit a full 25mm thick fan in here. Corsair did have the original fan installed with a grill of course so that saved some space internally as well.

okay, that scores major brownie points to my next PSU choice O_O
The warranty? It's quite healthy! It'll probably save the price difference and more several times over in those seven years on efficiency in the long run, as well. My town has relatively cheap electrical with their own power company, about 30% cheaper than national average. Even at that rate, with my typical useage of the computer, it would save me I believe in the neighborhood of $30-$40 a year on running costs, maybe a small bit more if I recall.

Reactions: Jello

Sazexa

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
That's probably the EXACT same cable as what I bought, I just got mine off of someone on eBay.

kimaroth

Efficiency Noob
New User
Apr 1, 2020
Does this kind of mods solve coil whine from PSU? I read that PSU coil whine is caused by the PSU fan in the voltage limit to start working, and also read about Corsair SF Gold having this coil whine and SF Platinum not having it, so I guess PWM helps that way.

Sazexa

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Jan 22, 2020
Does this kind of mods solve coil whine from PSU? I read that PSU coil whine is caused by the PSU fan in the voltage limit to start working, and also read about Corsair SF Gold having this coil whine and SF Platinum not having it, so I guess PWM helps that way.
I don't believe this solves coil whine. I believe coil whine is actually vibration caused by the movement of electrons flowing through actual coils and capacitors, or other components. I could be wrong but that was my understanding. I haven't used this PSU for other than testing yet, as I've been waiting for parts. If I do some more testing with it, I'll be sure to let you know if it has any excess coil whine, or less than what I'd consider standard.

Last edited:
Reactions: kimaroth

Flightpath

Case Bender
New User
May 19, 2020
Thanks for sharing this! Probably doesn't change much performance wise but it looks so much better and gives me something to tinker with at least, much appreciated.