Concept Project VERTICAL: Small footprint - Huge airflow - Touchdisplay - 19.9 L mATX

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Big and tall air cooler + full size GPU + ATX PSU + emphasis of air cooling + small footprint tower....all these catch my attention. Looks like my taste is quite similar to yours. I definitely will follow this thread. If this design becomes reality one day, I will have to decide between this and the NCase M1.

A couple more questions:-
1) is the vertical slot to the right of the 2 left fans for installing slim ODD? If so, it will visually block the GPU and a good part of the HSF...will be very ugly if one chooses a TG panel. Or, is the ODD installed somewhere else?
2) Is the CPU HSF getting enough cool fresh air to give good temp? It looks like it is receiving the hot exhaust from the GPU. I wonder, if the top fan is used as intake, could it provide fresh air to the CPU for even better temp?

I am happy that you like it. So to answer your questions:

1) You are absolutely right. The ODD is mounted there and in the current design it would look completely stupid to mount the odd when tempered glass front is used.

2) I already tested different configurations in my Lian Li case i posted above. In general a 90 degrees turned CPU cooler leads to slightly cooler gpu temps and slightly higher cpu temps. In the Vertical (similar to my Lian Li) 90 degrees turned is far better because if it blows to the top there is not enough space on the right panel to mount fans if you use a big air cooler. Slim fans in the best scenario.

If you use the top fan as intake the temps go up. I already tried it and in my lian li.

Here is a very detailed test from a german website for different fan configs if you are interested:

http://www.hardwaremax.net/guides/hardware/305-der-perfekte-airflow?showall=&start=2

But thanks for your suggestion. I think a lot about airflow and suggestions are always welcome. Currently I am experimenting with a solution to cool VRMs more effective in revision three. Far from ready (only concept, vents are missing), but here is a picture:

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyitx

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
P cool concept, but you probably want fan grills for the side fans heads up. Fingers or clothes could get caught in them.

Thanks. Yes fan grills will be there. But they are only optional and removable because I want as much airflow as possible and silent operation. Here are pictures of such a solution:

Reactions: HeroXLazer

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Reactions: Biowarejak

orbitalwalsh

Caliper Novice
Jan 4, 2018
Love it! if 240mm aio could be mounted , even better!

would be easily be tempted by on of these for Builds I do for Aorus/Gigabyte

Hoping to see more matx/ITX with amd x/b/a/? chipsets this year :D

lot like the jonbso VR1 case with with AIRFLOW!!!!!

might be worth making the GPU intake Panel with a solid cover , slits down the side or air gap , as the 2 filter holes spoil a clean looking case .

Even just drilling 4mm holes in to allow air to the fans would give a cleaner look

Reactions: Philairflow

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
So before answering questions here is a picture of the next version progress:

I would estimate i am done with 70%. Looks the same, but I remodeld everything. Version two had some cnc parts and was not really optimized for manufacturing. Version three is a step forward in terms of simple manufacturing. ATX supply is now included. I will post pictures from the inside when it is finished.

What is still missing: psu shroud, front I/O, some holes, nuts, glass

I hope to find free time soon and finish it.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I didn't see this, but this looks cool, I'll be following. Is the 15.6" screen going to be 4K?

This is interesting, what lcd panel will be used on case?

I want to use a build-in-ready notebook solution that is already bonded. All standard 15.6 inch notebook display should fit.

Here is a picture of a full hd ips touchdisplay for a dell laptop which is already bonded and a glass is applied:

The advantage is you can get them cheap from asia :)

4k is difficult. This is why I don't see a 4k screen here:

- The displays are much more expensive and you rarely find a 4k touchscreen

- In addition to the screen I need a TFT controller to convert hdmi to mipi. Something like this from a german company:

It is good quality. In Full HD it is not to expensive and small. In 4k this costs way more and is too big for project vertical.

- Last I think 4k is not needed on 15.6 inch

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018

might be worth making the GPU intake Panel with a solid cover , slits down the side or air gap , as the 2 filter holes spoil a clean looking case .

Even just drilling 4mm holes in to allow air to the fans would give a cleaner look

Thanks. All 240 mm aio's should fit. In addition you can use push/pull config on every aio because there is no restriction on thickness.

Yes I am working on a removable coverage for fans. I may try slits. Suggestions are welcome. I have not found a solution yet that fits the design.

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
So before answering questions here is a picture of the next version progress:

I would estimate i am done with 70%. Looks the same, but I remodeld everything. Version two had some cnc parts and was not really optimized for manufacturing. Version three is a step forward in terms of simple manufacturing. ATX supply is now included. I will post pictures from the inside when it is finished.

What is still missing: psu shroud, front I/O, some holes, nuts, glass

I hope to find free time soon and finish it.

That backpanel thing with vents looks realy beautiful. And with black screen this looks badass:cool:

You really got me with the open fans here. Some don't like it. I do. Seems like the perfect place for the new Noctua Chromax black fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Philairflow

Wantabiggercpu

Trash Compacter
Feb 8, 2018
Can you show the backside of the case?

I like the idea of removable panels for the fans. Mainly because the panels on some cases are so restictive to airflow. So with a solution like this you can decide on your own.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
So here is a little update. I finished the first version of the psu shroud:

The psu shoud has two multifunctional mounting plates. Different configurations of 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch hdd can be mounted there. I am still working on the brakets.

It also can hold a custom water pump.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
So here is a little update. I finished the first version of the psu shroud:

The psu shoud has two multifunctional mounting plates. Different configurations of 2.5 inch and 3.5 inch hdd can be mounted there. I am still working on the brakets.

It also can hold a custom water pump.
It keeps getting better.

Tjo2012

Trash Compacter
Feb 6, 2018
Not to be captain obvious, and your market is well educated individuals but i think its not stupid proofed enough....

I think a revision of the feet to the computer to compensate for the extra umph that someone can put into a touch screen (especially towards the top of the case where one might try to close a window and push on the touch screen)

Also as a result this case WANTS to be heavy since the touch screen has safer usability.

Some extended leg options could be a nice feature or possibly standard on the opposite face of the touch screen.

Im not saying thats a touch screen isnt light to the touch im saying that mistakes happen and its expensive hardware so some feet to counteract the amount of leverage one could get from pushing on the tower from the top might be worth the investment.

The idea is great though. Ive meased with mounting a small screen to a mid tower but its always been a hastle and a touch screen would add alot of cost. I appreciate your build

Reactions: Jonny727272

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
Not to be captain obvious, and your market is well educated individuals but i think its not stupid proofed enough....

I think a revision of the feet to the computer to compensate for the extra umph that someone can put into a touch screen (especially towards the top of the case where one might try to close a window and push on the touch screen)

Also as a result this case WANTS to be heavy since the touch screen has safer usability.

Some extended leg options could be a nice feature or possibly standard on the opposite face of the touch screen.

Im not saying thats a touch screen isnt light to the touch im saying that mistakes happen and its expensive hardware so some feet to counteract the amount of leverage one could get from pushing on the tower from the top might be worth the investment.

The idea is great though. Ive meased with mounting a small screen to a mid tower but its always been a hastle and a touch screen would add alot of cost. I appreciate your build

Thanks! Do you really think it needs stabilization? I think there is not much more risk than on other towers. The other vertical case here (The Breathe) has much smaller footprint and no extra stand.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
But the Breathe doesn't have a touchscreen on it.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
But the Breathe doesn't have a touchscreen on it.

You are absolutely right with thatXD

Anyways this is something to find out with a prototype. But when I am looking at my super stable tablet stand I don't think this will even shake, because the normal components in it have some serious weight.

Philairflow

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jan 30, 2018
I am sorry but I have to pause this project for now. I want to push my Project Hybrid and time is rare. So I hope nobody is dissapointed now. Maybe you like my new project because it was of course heavily inspired by Project Vertical (and it can stand vertical too;)):

Reactions: renecop545