Project: OSIDIAS (officially v4). What's this? A worklog?!

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
As promised... Running through the new configuration now.

So pretty!

craigbru

Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006
Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Wow, no update since October? Uh, I do tend to get sidetracked. This time around it's due to another Jeep project. Yes, I've bought a second Grand Cherokee! This one will take everything I've learned and done from my previous build, and take it up a notch further. As far as this build goes, well, I may move back to legit carbon fiber after all, at least on the exterior. I've got a new assembly idea that will make molding parts a little easier than what I've done in the past. In the meantime, I may just get an S4 Mini to house my current hardware. :D

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Wow, no update since October? Uh, I do tend to get sidetracked. This time around it's due to another Jeep project. Yes, I've bought a second Grand Cherokee! This one will take everything I've learned and done from my previous build, and take it up a notch further. As far as this build goes, well, I may move back to legit carbon fiber after all, at least on the exterior. I've got a new assembly idea that will make molding parts a little easier than what I've done in the past. In the meantime, I may just get an S4 Mini to house my current hardware. :D

Is this your third WJ? I love conquering rocks and mud in style. :)

Also, you need to put carbon fiber S4M panels up in my store. I already have buyers lined up if I can get them done nicely. Let's collab!!!!!!!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Is this your third WJ? I love conquering rocks and mud in style. :)

Also, you need to put carbon fiber S4M panels up in my store. I already have buyers lined up if I can get them done nicely. Let's collab!!!!!!!

It's only my second, although I feel like I've been building them forever! Super comfortable, yet capable as well. I'll be moving to custom coilovers in the front as opposed to struts. It should give me more travel and flex! Cool things coming on the interior as well.

Are you looking for CF side panels? I see that you make some for the front already. There are some pretty damn cool CF design patterns available now.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
It's only my second, although I feel like I've been building them forever! Super comfortable, yet capable as well. I'll be moving to custom coilovers in the front as opposed to struts. It should give me more travel and flex! Cool things coming on the interior as well.

Are you looking for CF side panels? I see that you make some for the front already. There are some pretty damn cool CF design patterns available now.

Yeah routing plate is one thing but FORMING is another. We need to build a vacuum jig and make them, hand route the edges, then cnc the skyslots. Tough work for sure, but you have the talent and experience.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Yeah routing plate is one thing but FORMING is another. We need to build a vacuum jig and make them, hand route the edges, then cnc the skyslots. Tough work for sure, but you have the talent and experience.

Indeed. Forming is a completely different experience. You have to be quick and precise at the same time. There is no really easy way of doing it, and as you've mentioned, a fair bit of it is done by hand. I would say I would be interested in principal, but the practical side of me says my free time is somewhat lacking. Let me consider the logistics for a bit.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
**Sniff**

Aw, they grow up so fast!

Haha, with that out of the way, I figured I'd give a little update here. It's only been almost a year! Unfortunately there are so many things that keep pulling me from this project. As it stands now, I'm not sure when a true carbon fiber variant of this could be completed. Between all the hours I'm working, Jeep-Core.com, and a pending garage and shop addition to the house this year, mod time is scarce.

That said, I've priced out a version that's totally SLS and MJF printed. While not cheap, it would be the fastest way to get this project completed. The quality would be excellent, and it would still be unique. It would be more about my design skills than my modding ability at that point, but it might be the best step forward.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
**Sniff**

Aw, they grow up so fast!

Haha, with that out of the way, I figured I'd give a little update here. It's only been almost a year! Unfortunately there are so many things that keep pulling me from this project. As it stands now, I'm not sure when a true carbon fiber variant of this could be completed. Between all the hours I'm working, Jeep-Core.com, and a pending garage and shop addition to the house this year, mod time is scarce.

That said, I've priced out a version that's totally SLS and MJF printed. While not cheap, it would be the fastest way to get this project completed. The quality would be excellent, and it would still be unique. It would be more about my design skills than my modding ability at that point, but it might be the best step forward.

What's this?

Oh, its a post from the guy who's build was in CPU Magazine, and got me into SFF in the first place.

Just happens to be directly linked to my empty wallet. So do I say thanks... or.....

Haha.

Thanks for getting me into this hobby, and I'm looking forward to updates on this project!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
What's this?

Oh, its a post from the guy who's build was in CPU Magazine, and got me into SFF in the first place.

Just happens to be directly linked to my empty wallet. So do I say thanks... or.....

Haha.

Thanks for getting me into this hobby, and I'm looking forward to updates on this project!

Hahaha! Uh, sorry about that... Well, not really. I totally understand empty wallets. Between the Jeep addiction and this SFF bug I can't seem to shake, it's the reason I have to work so much!

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
So, I'm getting closer. The amount of detail put into this design is a bit of a curse. Small revision after revision. I know it will be worth it in the end. I obviously enjoy complexity, or I wouldn't put myself through this. That brings us to this small update. I can't jump right into SLS or MJF without making sure everything fits together perfectly. To that end, I've been printing rough parts for assembly purposes. Supports have been removed where applicable, but the parts are otherwise not cleaned up. There's no need at this stage. What you see here is the motherboard side of the center assembly with the rear attached. I'm printing a newly updated GPU side right now. I'll mate them together and adjust further as needed. You can also see my Asus Strix Z390-I that will have a new home soon.

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
So, I'm getting closer. The amount of detail put into this design is a bit of a curse. Small revision after revision. I know it will be worth it in the end. I obviously enjoy complexity, or I wouldn't put myself through this. That brings us to this small update. I can't jump right into SLS or MJF without making sure everything fits together perfectly. To that end, I've been printing rough parts for assembly purposes. Supports have been removed where applicable, but the parts are otherwise not cleaned up. There's no need at this stage. What you see here is the motherboard side of the center assembly with the rear attached. I'm printing a newly updated GPU side right now. I'll mate them together and adjust further as needed. You can also see my Asus Strix Z390-I that will have a new home soon.

WOW.

Much impressed.

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Well, I'll be. That looks handy. So, are the files for this going to be public, ever?

Uh... I'm not sure. The amount of time I've put into this design makes it hard to give away. That said, I do tend to try and give back to the community whenever I can. We'll see how this whole project turns out once completed.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Uh... I'm not sure. The amount of time I've put into this design makes it hard to give away. That said, I do tend to try and give back to the community whenever I can. We'll see how this whole project turns out once completed.

This man here may be willing to pay for them.

Reactions: Biowarejak

craigbru

Original poster
LOSIAS
Jul 2, 2015
Guys, I did something crazy yesterday. I bumped the OSIDIAS thread over at B-T... I'm not sure what compelled me to do so since I hadn't responded there in over 4 years, haha. I did a bit of a recap of where the design started, compared to where it's at now. It's not duplicated content, it's more of a refresher. That said, I'll give you all an update here as well.

I've managed a few more major and minor revisions to the design. Mostly related to the interior. A couple of subsequent test prints and fits indicated a few changes were needed. The layout was and still is just about perfect, and no deviations were made there. I truly am close to finalizing for a print there. I'll lock those layers and move on to the front interior finalization. With little room for deviance because of the way the card connector attaches, I've got to make sure it's damn near perfect.

In other news, we've officially started the house addition. Once the shop is completed, modding will be much easier. I can't wait!

Lastly, I've made further upgrades to my 3D printer. I've now moved to a Bondtech extruder and a 110v heated bed setup. I've still got new SLS carriages to add. Hmm, maybe I'll make time for that this weekend.

Reactions: Phuncz and Arboreal

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Guys, I did something crazy yesterday. I bumped the OSIDIAS thread over at B-T... I'm not sure what compelled me to do so since I hadn't responded there in over 4 years, haha. I did a bit of a recap of where the design started, compared to where it's at now. It's not duplicated content, it's more of a refresher. That said, I'll give you all an update here as well.

I've managed a few more major and minor revisions to the design. Mostly related to the interior. A couple of subsequent test prints and fits indicated a few changes were needed. The layout was and still is just about perfect, and no deviations were made there. I truly am close to finalizing for a print there. I'll lock those layers and move on to the front interior finalization. With little room for deviance because of the way the card connector attaches, I've got to make sure it's damn near perfect.

In other news, we've officially started the house addition. Once the shop is completed, modding will be much easier. I can't wait!

Lastly, I've made further upgrades to my 3D printer. I've now moved to a Bondtech extruder and a 110v heated bed setup. I've still got new SLS carriages to add. Hmm, maybe I'll make time for that this weekend.

Hopefully I'll live long enough to see this project completed!

Looks great so far! (I mean, it looked great in CPU magazine about 50 bajiilion years ago!)