Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
With the changes you could put a few millimiters between the two more? thus allowing waterblock to be placed on the two VGAs without the need for adaptation in the input and output part of the VGA block?

On the side I thought from the beginning on having cut two tempered glass to put on the sides

Reactions: AleksandarK

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
[QUOTE = "LukeD, post: 63014, membro: 524"] Eu estava pensando como uma cor clara de fumo para o painel lateral [/ QUOTE]
Eu gostei muito

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I doubt that 7.5mm spacing of vent slots is patentable. It's the greatest common denominator of 92mm and 120mm fan mounting holes (82.5mm and 105mm respectively). It does not pass the test of "non-obvious".
That's an interesting point

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
Hello ,

first let me say to you congratulations on such a nice design.

I have this idea man ,

you are sarcificing alot just to use 1u powersupplies with 250 length ?

listen to me carefully ,

you already increase the width of the case to 13.2 cm .. this means , you can now use SFX powersupplies , they are 12.5 cm only width. and now they will fit. all what you need to do now is increase the Height just 1.8 cm (SFX power supplies are 6.3 cm height VS flex 4.5cm

but what will you get from this ?

I tell you : upto 1600 watts power supply inside.

using TWO SFX power supplies there ..

the SFX dimensions is 12.5x6.3x10 cm

10 cm length only

two of them will be 20 cm long

and give another 6 cm for cables on both

you will have two SFX power supplies fitting in your case. using 26 length total !!!

you can use crosair 600 watt SFX power in there , two of them will give you 1200 watts

or if you mofe to SFX-L , the max is 800 watts from silverstone , this will give you 1600 watts power if you use two. but the SFX-L is 13com length vs 10cm length and give cables 6 cm for both you will need 30cm length in your case for TWO SFX-L power.

I think Two SFX is enough for your design will reach 1200 WATTS using 600 watts from corsair.

dont waste that 25cm length on 1U power supply the length is WASTED.

and there is a good news to this : CABLES in SFX are ready and are short and you wont have problems in cabels and plugs like in the 1u power supplies.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hello ,

first let me say to you congratulations on such a nice design.

I have this idea man ,

you are sarcificing alot just to use 1u powersupplies with 250 length ?

listen to me carefully ,

you already increase the width of the case to 13.2 cm .. this means , you can now use SFX powersupplies , they are 12.5 cm only width. and now they will fit. all what you need to do now is increase the Height just 1.8 cm (SFX power supplies are 6.3 cm height VS flex 4.5cm

but what will you get from this ?

I tell you : upto 1600 watts power supply inside.

using TWO SFX power supplies there ..

the SFX dimensions is 12.5x6.3x10 cm

10 cm length only

two of them will be 20 cm long

and give another 6 cm for cables on both

you will have two SFX power supplies fitting in your case. using 26 length total !!!

you can use crosair 600 watt SFX power in there , two of them will give you 1200 watts

or if you mofe to SFX-L , the max is 800 watts from silverstone , this will give you 1600 watts power if you use two. but the SFX-L is 13com length vs 10cm length and give cables 6 cm for both you will need 30cm length in your case for TWO SFX-L power.

I think Two SFX is enough for your design will reach 1200 WATTS using 600 watts from corsair.

dont waste that 25cm length on 1U power supply the length is WASTED.

and there is a good news to this : CABLES in SFX are ready and are short and you wont have problems in cabels and plugs like in the 1u power supplies.
You know the latest prototype accomodates SFX units, right?

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
Yes, i'll confirm it here again, no cryptic messages. Latest prototype has SFX support :)

cool man , Make sure to add mounts for TWO SFX power supplies. the 260mm length is there .

you will need a cable to start them both up without timing issues , like this cable :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JM7KVD/?tag=theminutiae-20

more over , the Exact place of the second SFX powersupply up , can be used for a 120 Radiator cooling as well.

the dimensions of SFX-L are 12.5x6.3x13.0 .. and the dimensions of a 120 radiator with fan is 12.5x6x15

and lastly ,

make sure one of the dual slot card has 2 slots and not one only

Most MicroATX motherboards have 3 slots , Two 16 and one 4 or 8 .. make sure to route 4 or 8 x slot as well ... for people who want just one GPU and TWO CARDS

examples : GTX 1080 ti + Sound Card + DVB-s2 card

this will need 3 slots !

and you can still add 2 GPU in there , in case you add 2 GPUs , the extra slots will be not used (the GPU card over it)

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
cool man , Make sure to add mounts for TWO SFX power supplies. the 260mm length is there .

you will need a cable to start them both up without timing issues , like this cable :

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072JM7KVD/?tag=theminutiae-20

more over , the Exact place of the second SFX powersupply up , can be used for a 120 Radiator cooling as well.

the dimensions of SFX-L are 12.5x6.3x13.0 .. and the dimensions of a 120 radiator with fan is 12.5x6x15

and lastly ,

make sure one of the dual slot card has 2 slots and not one only

Most MicroATX motherboards have 3 slots , Two 16 and one 4 or 8 .. make sure to route 4 or 8 x slot as well ... for people who want just one GPU and TWO CARDS

examples : GTX 1080 ti + Sound Card + DVB-s2 card

this will need 3 slots !

and you can still add 2 GPU in there , in case you add 2 GPUs , the extra slots will be not used (the GPU card over it)
The 120mm radiator support would be nice, but unlike DC-DC PSUs, power supplies don't chain, and it's undesirable to have to use more than one.

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
The 120mm radiator support would be nice, but unlike DC-DC PSUs, power supplies don't chain, and it's undesirable to have to use more than one.

they do work with the cable I posted and power up together. this is not chaining. this is just giving signal to both to start up at the same time. thats it. after they both start up the same time , they will be used independent of each others , one for mobo + some card plugs and the other for opnly GPU using PCIe 6/8 connectors.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
they do work with the cable I posted and power up together. this is not chaining. this is just giving signal to both to start up at the same time. thats it. after they both start up the same time , they will be used independent of each others , one for mobo + some card plugs and the other for opnly GPU using PCIe 6/8 connectors.
Do you have a solution for routing the second psu cable then? It makes sense for Vega cards I guess.

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
More ideas :

HotSwapp drives in the same location of the second SFX I recommened :

the most annoying thing in such compact cases is change the drives and plugging /unplugging cables.

so we can use hot swap bay in there for minimum cost ..

how ? easy

Just TWO or ONE 3.5 inch drive metal bay thats all with the screws in it. this will take a 128.5 x 101.6 x 25.4mm hot swap kit !!! and FITSS!

Give the SFX height is 6.3 cm this is more than enough for it

now inside that cage you can :

1- add 2x2.5 inch drives in HOT SWAP mode , using something like this

example one

http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?area=en&pid=642

two

http://www.icydock.com/goods.php?id=234

three

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001CYZC38/?tag=theminutiae-20

This fits inside the 3.5 harddisk cage and the screws are the same !!!

and it will fit in the case up after the power supply

will give you hotswap no cable hassle in your tiny case !!!

this can lead if you want to make the upper section of the case cover metal with cutting for 3.5 inch bay to be external reached , or just keep it inside and to access it open the glass cover ...

if you make the cvover up metal and lower glass would look better for the power supply looks ugly and at the same time you will have EXTERNAL 3.5 inch bay to put that accesory in it and have 2 2.5 inch hotswap bays !!! change HD without getting inside the case or even plugging/unplugging power and sata cables any more .

in short : MAKE THAT 3.5 inch CAGE is EASY just a metal box with screws in it ! it can be used for external hotswap bays !

if you make the cage for TWO 3.5 (128.5 x 101.6 x 25.4mm each) , you can have FOUR 2.5 inch hotswap in there !!!

Edit : this is standard 3.5 inch bay , you can also add , card reader in it , or van controller as well. not only hotswap harddisk

the 3.5 inch harddisk will not fit since it is 145mm long , but all the other bays will fit , the hotswap 2.5 is only 100mm long and the card readers and fan controllers are even shorter.

Last edited:

Samer

Cable Smoosher
Sep 24, 2017
Do you have a solution for routing the second psu cable then? It makes sense for Vega cards I guess.

you can join them together in one cable , and make sure the plug and cable diameters can support 1800 watts . is easy to do just thicker wire.

something like this , but thicker cable to take 1200 or 1800 watts