Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Now for the cards, have you tried to fit Asus' Poseidon GTX 1080ti in SLI with the water coolers active? I was seriously looking at those cards for a fully water-cooled SLI rig (though having their fans as a backup are nice in case of loop failure.) And I wanted to have it small enough to carry like this. JayzTwoCents was able to overclock the Poseidon quite impressively.

If you were able to make the Poseidons work (I like the idea of not voiding a warranty on such expensive equipment, hence the interest,) not only will it be a "shut up and take my money" thing, I would be half-tempted to fly to wherever you are to put the money in your hand and walk away with the case.
Assuming you could get a pair of watercooled GTX 1080tis in, would you run it with an external rad? Because the single 240 this case supports is nowhere near enough for that much heat.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Assuming you could get a pair of watercooled GTX 1080tis in, would you run it with an external rad? Because the single 240 this case supports is nowhere near enough for that much heat.

That may have been why he was asking about the Poseidon's, as they are hybrid air/water cooled, not just solely water cooled.

Edit: Empirically, @wovie tried this out with a i5-4690K and 2x GTX 980 Ti and was seeing acceptable temperatures of 70°C at the CPU and 60°C at the GPUs.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I don't see why not if the CPU uses a heatsink since the monster Radeon 295x2 uses just a 120mm rad.
Nowhere near enough for "good" temps, then. Also you'd be dumping 100% of that heat inside the case unless you run the front fans as exhaust. That's probably the only way it would make sense. Though, I feel like restricting the CPU to air cooling with such a low height limit makes for unbalanced system, with two high-end GPUs and a CPU that wouldn't on the same level.

That may have been why he was asking about the Poseidon's, as they are hybrid air/water cooled, not just solely water cooled.
I see, that would make sense. As mentioned though, doesn't look like they have a chance of fitting.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Don't forget about undervolting! I'd happily run high heat for benchmarking and then turn everything down for my day to day tasks.

Reactions: LukeD

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Edit: Empirically, @wovie tried this out with a i5-4690K and 2x GTX 980 Ti and was seeing acceptable temperatures of 70°C at the CPU and 60°C at the GPUs.

I'm not sure how useful that is, since by his own admission he hadn't "stressed the system long enough to get good temperature readings," and only "just played some FO4, MGSV and Witcher 3." Water in a loop can take quite a while to reach equilibrium, so playing some games for 15-20 minutes isn't necessarily going to tell you much. Also, can we even be sure both GPUs were being fully utilized? SLI is hit and miss for a lot of games, so again, there's plenty of room for doubt.

That said, if you understand what you're getting into (keep expectations in check) and take measures (e.g. undervolting), a reasonably performing system can be had with a setup like this.

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
... And another question: Which 120mm CPU AIO would you recommend to use with this case?

Have a look at the list below. Unfortunately the new Celsius has tubes coming out the top which makes it incompatible :(
I'll add more tot he list as I have time, but I've excited to say the Bequiet SilentLoop 240 is expandable (not officially) and does an excellent job. Also you can design a custom loop using the Alphacool DC-LT pump which is very small and you can get a high RPM version.

just finished the YT video... was hoping they would showcase a custom loop but knowing LTT I guess it was too much to ask for...

All I will say is ... there's pipes being bent, seals being tightened and water coolant flowing :)

... Now for the cards, have you tried to fit Asus' Poseidon GTX 1080ti in SLI with the water coolers active?

Sorry those won't fit. The case has been designed to fit reference height PCB's only. Any water block for a reference card should fit in the top slot of the case. You can however do a water/air hybrid solution like this: LINK

... Also, any luck with fitting a non-server power supply? I shudder to think of it failing without the means to repair it (a couple of friends went through several power supplies)

So you can fit a FlexATX and 1U PSU in there. There's even modular FlexATX power supplies like THIS
I could change the case design to fit an SFX or SFX-L PSU but it would increase the height of the case by 2 cm.

I would be afraid he would be asking for a third case because he blew up the second.

HAHAHA :)

Love this build when will it be available?

Looking for manufacturing as we speak. I'll post more once I have some details.

Have a look at this post here: LINK . While temps are quite toasty (CPU in mid 70's, and GPU's in mid 60's). I'll do a few hour stress test on the loop once I get my PSU back :)

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Seeing as watercooled cards can be single slot, would it be possible to put both cards where one would normally go and use the extra space for another rad?

I think that would be possible !
Would need new brackets ... but I think it can be done.
The GPU chamber has 55mm available, so a slim 120mm or 240mm might be able to fit in there to add more cooling if needed.

entropy

Caliper Novice
May 17, 2017
I can appreciate that Linus is covering these indie projects, but sheesh is he ever hard to watch these days. He talks to the camera as if his audience is composed solely of slow five year-olds (which, maybe it is, judging by the comments), and practically shouts the entire time. I get that you gotta "play the youtube game" to be successful, and he's got bills to pay and so on, but man, dial it down a little.

Anyway, grats to @LukeD on being featured, and I hope it works out for you, whatever your plans are.

Linus is best when you watch him at 2x speed. It becomes more entertaining.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Seeing as watercooled cards can be single slot, would it be possible to put both cards where one would normally go and use the extra space for another rad?

The GPU chamber has 55mm available, so a slim 120mm or 240mm might be able to fit in there to add more cooling if needed.

Are there 0-slot SLI bridges for single slot cards? o_o just curious, I'm guessing a pair of ribbon bridges would do

CPTSulu

Case Bender
New User
Jul 22, 2017

That would be really cool!

Reactions: Biowarejak

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Are there 0-slot SLI bridges for single slot cards? o_o just curious, I'm guessing a pair of ribbon bridges would do

I'm using flex SLI cables at the moment and an amerirack riser which is 0-slot (2 pcie slots side by side, no gap) for some ..... prototyping ...... (I'm waiting for HeroXLazer to come along and say ... ORTHRUS MINI) hahahah.

Geedub

Cable Smoosher
Jul 23, 2017
No. I'm not going with X99 for my own build. I just sold my 6800k and EVGA Micro 2. I loved the motherboard but there was absolutely no gaming performance benefit of it over the 7700k. Also the additional 50 Watts of power required for the 6800k would be pushing the setup of it with 2 x 1080Ti SLI's to the limit.

Also there was better support for other components, like the RGB ram on the Z270 platform than on X99. Ironically enough on this motherboard it doesn't work 100% hahaha.

Yeah, the point of me testing various hardware combinations is to see / show people what combinations work and how far it can be pushed.
X99 + 2 x 1080 was a really good sweet spot i think for gaming and productivity (it was all cooled by water, very quiet and efficient).
Z270 + 2 x 1080ti is obviously top of the line 3d performance but i think the CPU will need to be cooled by air and the 2 x 1080 ti's i'll put under water.
Anything below those specs can obviously ALL be cooled by a 240mm water setup.
I think putting a 6800k with 2 x 1080ti's would have exceeded the 240mm radiators capabilities. A Ryzen chip on the other hand would be a good alternative because its 95watt TDP vs 7700k's 91watt TDP. However.... with regards to Ryzen, i really wanted to jump on that bandwagon. But with the lack of X370 mATX SLI motherboards I cannot justify it now. I want to show Project Orthrus in the highest performance setting possible for 4k entertainment. Ryzen is not going to facilitate that unfortunately :(

I found this, but I'm not a big fan of Biostar's hardware: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...ZhwJ8SUmSx3a8C9JQdEaAsXXEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
Yeah the 2nd slot on that motherboard is only 4x ... which means its not SLI compatible :(