Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

BlueJahash

Minimal Tinkerer
Apr 23, 2017
Dude, just watched the LTT video (signed up specifically to floatplane just to see your case)... So psyched for this to hit production... I've been working on my Silverstone FTZ01 custom water-cooled PC for over a year now and I'm still not happy with it because of cpu temps, but more so because of your case. Gunna have to start over when your case hits production lol.

Congrats on the exposure, if an OEM doesn't pick this up, they'd be crazy.

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
Hype Hype :p:p:p:p

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I recently saw the full I/O of the Vega Frontier Edition and those vents remind me of the Orthus vents and they match well. Now I'm thinking, how cool would it be to have a Vega/Ryzen system with two of those cards in the case!!

LukeD

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Case Designer
Jun 29, 2016
I freaking love the enthusiasm of this community :)

Me too. The community keeps me going as my personal / work life has become crazy.

I recently saw the full I/O of the Vega Frontier Edition and those vents remind me of the Orthus vents and they match well. Now I'm thinking, how cool would it be to have a Vega/Ryzen system with two of those cards in the case!!

First it was the case shape and Ryzen logo. Now its the slot design :) .... Hehehe, Illuminati confirmed again :)

CPTSulu

Case Bender
New User
Jul 22, 2017
I love this case. I watched the video from LTT and holy crap i love it. Even though i dont and wont own a SLI/Crossfire Setup i would probably still buy one when it comes out. And do you have an idea of how much it would cost in the end?
Its also good for me as someone who sometimes travels with his PC that the side windows are acrylic and not glass.
And another question: Which 120mm CPU AIO would you recommend to use with this case?

Reactions: LukeD

StormKnight

Case Bender
Jul 22, 2017
I registered just to comment on this. I geekgasmed so hard on this when Linus showed it.

SOOOOO want this.

Now for the cards, have you tried to fit Asus' Poseidon GTX 1080ti in SLI with the water coolers active? I was seriously looking at those cards for a fully water-cooled SLI rig (though having their fans as a backup are nice in case of loop failure.) And I wanted to have it small enough to carry like this. JayzTwoCents was able to overclock the Poseidon quite impressively.

If you were able to make the Poseidons work (I like the idea of not voiding a warranty on such expensive equipment, hence the interest,) not only will it be a "shut up and take my money" thing, I would be half-tempted to fly to wherever you are to put the money in your hand and walk away with the case.

Also, any luck with fitting a non-server power supply? I shudder to think of it failing without the means to repair it (a couple of friends went through several power supplies)

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I can appreciate that Linus is covering these indie projects, but sheesh is he ever hard to watch these days. He talks to the camera as if his audience is composed solely of slow five year-olds (which, maybe it is, judging by the comments), and practically shouts the entire time. I get that you gotta "play the youtube game" to be successful, and he's got bills to pay and so on, but man, dial it down a little.

Anyway, grats to @LukeD on being featured, and I hope it works out for you, whatever your plans are.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Now for the cards, have you tried to fit Asus' Poseidon GTX 1080ti in SLI with the water coolers active? I was seriously looking at those cards for a fully water-cooled SLI rig (though having their fans as a backup are nice in case of loop failure.) And I wanted to have it small enough to carry like this. JayzTwoCents was able to overclock the Poseidon quite impressively.

There is no way the Poseidon's would fit. They are both too tall and too long. Earlier in the thread you can see @LukeD dealing with low profile fittings and terminals to get referenced sized cards to fit.

If you were able to make the Poseidons work (I like the idea of not voiding a warranty on such expensive equipment, hence the interest,) not only will it be a "shut up and take my money" thing, I would be half-tempted to fly to wherever you are to put the money in your hand and walk away with the case.

EVGA and XFX (for AMD) have excellent warranty coverage where they don't screw you over for changing out the cooler. You just need to return them to the original if you need to return them back for warranty claims.

Also, any luck with fitting a non-server power supply? I shudder to think of it failing without the means to repair it (a couple of friends went through several power supplies)

They can be had.