Prototype Project Orthrus - Smallest SLI mATX case (V2)

BennyBurner

Efficiency Noob
New User
May 5, 2017
I'm beyond keen to build in the final product, especially after seeing the LTT video. Man it's one good looking box Luke!

Out of curiosity, does the 3.5 & 2.5 drive adaptor fit in either GPU slot? I'm looking at throwing an EVGA 1080 FTW in there which is a little taller than reference, and if it doesn't fit in the top slot I'm hoping I can throw hard drives above it and mount in the bottom position.

LeandroJVarini

Chassis Packer
Jul 4, 2017
Yeah and there's a few small things that will change in the final design based on the manufacturers recommendations.
Wait a minute, are you talking to some manufacturer so that it manufactures it in bulk? This is great, I believed that you would produce it by protocase, a manufacturer with assembly line can cheapen the final cost for all of us.

Reactions: Biowarejak

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
Last edited:

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
That's just for one. If it's mass produced (i.e. more than one in terms of orders of magnitude) it'd be considerably cheaper per unit.

Don't quote me on this since it's secondhand knowledge, but I'd think Project Orthrus is a bit more detailed than Linus's rackmount PCs. If you only send them a layout sketch for them to figure out the bending (i.e. engage their sheet metal engineers/designers) it'd cost more, and probably the more complex it is the more they have to figure out.

You could ask around the peeps here who have worked with Protocase or Sliger on jobs like these. Both of them are on this forum I think

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
One thing to note though, Linus has influence, also seems like he got more work done on 3D files beforehand, then a smaller case with more complex shapes and more parts is, well.... more complex to manufacture

EDIT: Okay, that wasn't one thing.... but still XD

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That little thing cost 3500!? Linus' case didn't even cost that much and it was a 4U server chassis.

Actually because that custom case Linus got is 4U that made it easier, since Protocase already makes lots of 4U chassis through their 45 Drives subsidiary. So they just had to take a standard chassis and modify it.

Project Orthrus on the other hand is completely bespoke. Plus it has an extensive vent pattern that is time consuming to cut and makes uses of welding, both of which inflates the cost.