Production Project CPR - Customizable PCI-E Riser (up to X16)

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
A little bit off topic sorry, but does it mean that, in theory, we could have a regular (not using M2 slot) 16x PCIe cable riser with a thickness of 16mm (8x 2mm)?
Using an additionnal power cable that is.

I am trying to find a way to get more flexibility and less airflow restriction compared to the big flat cables we always see on PCIe risers, as mentionned here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...tures-from-li-heat-ltd.1534/page-4#post-88158

Any drawback in using a power cable of its own instead of more beefy cables (such as of 28AWG)?

You did not understand the topic a little.
All data cables are identical and each of them is able to transmit 4 data lines PCI-E + auxiliary signals (time, perst, wake, enable signal)
With the separation of the ground, there are 30 cores inside each cable.
Specifically in this laptop 2 lines are simply not involved. The reason for this is the adapter board on the other end of the riser, executed in the format M2 key M + B.
If I made the M2 Key M board with the wiring of the other lines, I would get pcie x4. But I was limited in means to be able to make all the options.

As a result - you will need not 8, but 4 cables for PCI E X16!
That's just the cables themselves are not cheap - about $ 20 per piece.


28AWG is quite thin for 6-7 amperes of current (so much can consume the card through the slot). They will need a whole bundle.
In addition, the riser is capable of withstanding up to 12A - you can use additional contacts to connect additional power to the card, if it is not above the designated one.
additional%20power.png


https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm
 
Last edited:

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
Thanks for the explanation!
Quite expensive cables indeed!
Such a high price because I order them directly from the factory and in individual volumes. If we talk about hundreds of pieces - the price may fall more than twice.
But alas - the audience is small. It's good that they even agreed to make such an order)
 
  • Like
Reactions: InfernoZeus

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
Along the way, I estimated the cost of a single riser when manufacturing a small batch of 10 pieces in a PCI-E X4 or M2 Key M or M2 Key M + B package. Taking into account purchases, orders of components, mount, additional accessories (stand, additional power cable, packing), sending the finished sample by mail is about $ 80.

If one of the options fails to collect 10 orders - it will be canceled.

Concerning variants x8 or x16 it is necessary to discuss separately - these variants will cost more minimum for 20 $ and 60 $ accordingly and I doubt that they will be interesting at such prices for a small batch.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Phuncz

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
Also I want to note that the kit can be equipped with several adapters. Please indicate this in the application.
Well, I would like to hear suggestions, suggestions or criticism about this)
 

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
That is about the nicest I have seen. At least it has full size PCIe X16 and M.2, you could build a little beast with that.
I myself started a topic with a riser to initially build a mini PC based on such motherboards. But a little carried away and made the decision more universal)

By the way a little about my PC (but in Russian):
https://geektimes.com/post/282288/
 

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
Friends!
It seems that I tried to get the first game together - I admit.
To begin with, it was worthwhile to collect a couple of samples with the final design.
But here there was a problem - under the new design absolutely other cables are necessary (about 100 $ cost of the order of new cables). I do not have the opportunity to pay them now.

I would like to ask you for help in implementing the final version of the device.

PayPal [email protected]

Yandex.Money 410015317851362

BTC 18sfQvQTEyGZyDM5uCbqLje4xzKLsTocC7
ETH 0xc7db5694ff9228d7315a81cd9d293f2b075ada47
SIB Si4uF1Y6dBfCkgZ7L4gD5Kt1gpuJy5MfnM
 

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 9, 2016
136
131
Russia
vk.com
Completed the assembly of 2 x risers (x4 each)! Differences between them in the length of interface cables - 0.5m and 1m.
photo_2018-06-18_13-40-36.jpg


Now there is no way to conduct a full test (as always the problem with the availability of a suitable video card). But to check the work capacity was able to:
photo_2018-06-18_13-40-44.jpg

photo_2018-06-18_13-40-58.jpg

05test.gif
 
  • Like
Reactions: InfernoZeus

mjst3rcar0

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
31
1
Completed the assembly of 2 x risers (x4 each)! Differences between them in the length of interface cables - 0.5m and 1m.
photo_2018-06-18_13-40-36.jpg


Now there is no way to conduct a full test (as always the problem with the availability of a suitable video card). But to check the work capacity was able to:
photo_2018-06-18_13-40-44.jpg

photo_2018-06-18_13-40-58.jpg

05test.gif
Sorry for my stupid question, but could you explain me the different point btw your cable and gdc beast?. Since beast can connect through pcie 3.0*4 (32Gb/s) if i remember correctly, which bandwidth you can provide with this cable?