Production Project CPR - Customizable PCI-E Riser (up to X16)

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
A little bit off topic sorry, but does it mean that, in theory, we could have a regular (not using M2 slot) 16x PCIe cable riser with a thickness of 16mm (8x 2mm)?
Using an additionnal power cable that is.

I am trying to find a way to get more flexibility and less airflow restriction compared to the big flat cables we always see on PCIe risers, as mentionned here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...tures-from-li-heat-ltd.1534/page-4#post-88158

Any drawback in using a power cable of its own instead of more beefy cables (such as of 28AWG)?

You did not understand the topic a little.
All data cables are identical and each of them is able to transmit 4 data lines PCI-E + auxiliary signals (time, perst, wake, enable signal)
With the separation of the ground, there are 30 cores inside each cable.
Specifically in this laptop 2 lines are simply not involved. The reason for this is the adapter board on the other end of the riser, executed in the format M2 key M + B.
If I made the M2 Key M board with the wiring of the other lines, I would get pcie x4. But I was limited in means to be able to make all the options.

As a result - you will need not 8, but 4 cables for PCI E X16!
That's just the cables themselves are not cheap - about $ 20 per piece.

28AWG is quite thin for 6-7 amperes of current (so much can consume the card through the slot). They will need a whole bundle.
In addition, the riser is capable of withstanding up to 12A - you can use additional contacts to connect additional power to the card, if it is not above the designated one.

https://www.powerstream.com/Wire_Size.htm

Last edited:

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Thanks for the explanation!
Quite expensive cables indeed!

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Thanks for the explanation!
Quite expensive cables indeed!
Such a high price because I order them directly from the factory and in individual volumes. If we talk about hundreds of pieces - the price may fall more than twice.
But alas - the audience is small. It's good that they even agreed to make such an order)

Reactions: InfernoZeus

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Along the way, I estimated the cost of a single riser when manufacturing a small batch of 10 pieces in a PCI-E X4 or M2 Key M or M2 Key M + B package. Taking into account purchases, orders of components, mount, additional accessories (stand, additional power cable, packing), sending the finished sample by mail is about $ 80.

If one of the options fails to collect 10 orders - it will be canceled.

Concerning variants x8 or x16 it is necessary to discuss separately - these variants will cost more minimum for 20 $ and 60 $ accordingly and I doubt that they will be interesting at such prices for a small batch.

Reactions: Phuncz

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
What do think the price is going to be for two 8x riser?
as I said before - the price of a set of m2 \ x4 is about $ 80. for x8 - $ 100 (the boards and components are not expensive, but the additional cable is $ 20)
But this is still a preliminary assessment.

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Also I want to note that the kit can be equipped with several adapters. Please indicate this in the application.
Well, I would like to hear suggestions, suggestions or criticism about this)

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
That is about the nicest I have seen. At least it has full size PCIe X16 and M.2, you could build a little beast with that.
I myself started a topic with a riser to initially build a mini PC based on such motherboards. But a little carried away and made the decision more universal)

By the way a little about my PC (but in Russian):
https://geektimes.com/post/282288/

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Friends!
It seems that I tried to get the first game together - I admit.
To begin with, it was worthwhile to collect a couple of samples with the final design.
But here there was a problem - under the new design absolutely other cables are necessary (about 100 $ cost of the order of new cables). I do not have the opportunity to pay them now.

I would like to ask you for help in implementing the final version of the device.

PayPal kotproger@rambler.ru

Yandex.Money 410015317851362

BTC 18sfQvQTEyGZyDM5uCbqLje4xzKLsTocC7
ETH 0xc7db5694ff9228d7315a81cd9d293f2b075ada47
SIB Si4uF1Y6dBfCkgZ7L4gD5Kt1gpuJy5MfnM

kotproger

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Jul 9, 2016
vk.com
Completed the assembly of 2 x risers (x4 each)! Differences between them in the length of interface cables - 0.5m and 1m.

Now there is no way to conduct a full test (as always the problem with the availability of a suitable video card). But to check the work capacity was able to:

Reactions: InfernoZeus

mjst3rcar0

Caliper Novice
Jun 25, 2018
Completed the assembly of 2 x risers (x4 each)! Differences between them in the length of interface cables - 0.5m and 1m.

Now there is no way to conduct a full test (as always the problem with the availability of a suitable video card). But to check the work capacity was able to:

Sorry for my stupid question, but could you explain me the different point btw your cable and gdc beast?. Since beast can connect through pcie 3.0*4 (32Gb/s) if i remember correctly, which bandwidth you can provide with this cable?