PPL - Performance Per Liter, do you SFF?

Rysen

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2017
It's actually quite fair from the standpoint of case design. CPU-Z scales almost linearly with number of cores, as does heat output and power draw. If you have a system that can handle double the heat, it should be capable of scoring twice as high. Price and popularity aren't being measured here. There are ways to take advantage of the relatively low power draw and heat and translate that into low volume to compensate, like @confusis setup.
Right but following that logic the GPU point should be worth more given that they follow the same trend and have similar value in terms of performance to an i9. In fact you can argue in some cases more.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Right but following that logic the GPU point should be worth more given that they follow the same trend and have similar value in terms of performance to an i9. In fact you can argue in some cases more.
The best gpus cap out at half the point value of an i9 though, a 7980xe is worth 10k points while a 1080 ti is 5k max.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Hmm, a HCC xeon, like x99's 2699 v3 scores a whopping 20k in cpu-z, and could probably be cooled by a dynatron T318! Again, given a 1080 ti like performance on the GPU + brickless s4m (feasible with a 1170) you get a ridiculous 17.7 million ppl score!

Holy smokes!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Damascus think Micro-STX, i7-8700, GTX1080, CustomMod Nano case, custom power brick. Working on it over the coming month or so. Just as it is, in the standard DeskMini case/Standard power brick, I squeak past first place in points, with the only change being the move to a GTX1080.

:D

Last edited:

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
@Damascus think Micro-STX, i7-8700, GTX1080, CustomMod Nano case, custom power brick. Working on it over the coming month or so. Just as it is, in the standard DeskMini case/Standard power brick, I squeak past first place in points, with the only change being the move to a GTX1080.

:D
Damn, that really is the king of mini. I think that using a HCC Xeon to basically game the system will probably be unstoppable score-wise but IMO your build hits exactly what the spirit of this is

Also, stay tuned for an 11L mATX build! With only a 3820 + 1050 ti it won't be a chart topper but still fun

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
*cue mourning bells and quiet crying in the background*

Today, we mourn the loss of the ASRock Z370 Micro-STX board. It left life too early, taken by the "pop" and magic smoke released caused by too much power being drawn in pursuit of PPL glory. It will be remembered by the surviving family members, the GTX1080 MXM card, The i7-8700, and the 2x 8gb SODIMMs.

The GTX1080, and memory now live with a Pentium G4560 in a B250M DeskMini, and the i7-8700 has moved on to spend life with a H370 ITX board.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*facepalms*

Gautam

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 5, 2016

Today, we mourn the loss of the ASRock Z370 Micro-STX board. It left life too early, taken by the "pop" and magic smoke released caused by too much power being drawn in pursuit of PPL glory. It will be remembered by the surviving family members, the GTX1080 MXM card, The i7-8700, and the 2x 8gb SODIMMs.

The GTX1080, and memory now live with a Pentium G4560 in a B250M DeskMini, and the i7-8700 has moved on to spend life with a H370 ITX board.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

*facepalms*
*Plays taps*

Sorry to hear. At least the rest of the components survived.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

*facepalms*

Really sorry to hear that @confusis, sacrifices must be made in the name of glory.

Reactions: Obelisk

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
It will be remembered by the surviving family members, the GTX1080 MXM card, The i7-8700, and the 2x 8gb SODIMMs.

At least there are survivors, because it sounds like the kind of thing that could have taken the entire system with it.

In the meantime I've managed to squeeze some more performance out of the 7980XE without magic smoke, 11137 up from 9776: https://valid.x86.fr/fzqckd
That would push my score to 4.2M which is about as far as I dare to take it on this motherboard and cooling. Pretty sure someone with a tiny system is going to smash that sooner or later.

Elerek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 17, 2017

*facepalms*

Any idea what blew and if you could replace it? If it's just a cap, it's probably pretty easy. An smd would be harder, but probably not impossible.

Damascus

Master of Cramming
Feb 27, 2018
Actually, I have a question for you @confusis. I've seen a lot of threads and claims regarding why mxm gpus are hard to come by, the most often cited claim is that "nvidia doesn't make them, therefore they are nearly impossible to get"

But Nvidia also doesn't make the ftw3 PCB, or zotac minis or any other custom board. Is it just that there's not enough of a market for aib's to bother?

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Damascus

It's more to do with supply and demand. Only a couple of manufacturers make MXM cards for the laptop market, and upgradability isn't high on laptop maker's minds. Most laptop GPUs are soldered on, meaning that the MXM market is pretty small. Coupled with that is NVIDIA's controlling of AIB partners in regards to what stock they get. I've heard mutterings in the market around NVIDIA not selling chips to certain AIB partners due to various reasons I can't get into.

Reactions: Biowarejak

confusis

SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Any idea what blew and if you could replace it? If it's just a cap, it's probably pretty easy. An smd would be harder, but probably not impossible.

It's a 6 pin, tiny, chip that controls the power input. Beyond my skills to replace, I'm afraid.

Reactions: Biowarejak