Powering dual pico psu using single power brick

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hey guys,

I am a planning to build a smallest custom rig.
The spec as given below:
  • CPU : i5 6500
  • Motherboard : Asus B150 Aura/wifi
  • Ram : 2 x 8gb 2133mhz
  • Storage 1 : WD 1tb Hdd
  • Storage 2 : intel 160 gb SSD
  • GPU : EVGA GTX 1060 6gb OC (Single fan model)
  • case fans : 1 fans 120mm
According to the PC load calculator, my total load is 246 watts (http://outervision.com/b/OiRix4)
I am worried about the PSU. Since I am from India, HD Plex 250 is out of scope due to high shipping cost.
I thought of using Pico 160XT but the shipping is a problem.
So now my only option is to buy a pico PSU from AliExpress. Since my total load is around 246 w,

I read a couple posts which states on using dual pico psu.
I have a couple doubts for deciding the PSU before proceeding further:
case 1 : I should join 2 Z2-ATX-160 using Add2PSU
case 2 : I should use a single Z4-ATX-200 (not sure if a single pico PSU may support the entire system)

Now If I am going with case 1, is there anyway to power up 2 pico psu using a single 250w or 330x adapter ?
I am thinking of going with X300 but I am not considering it until all my options are depleted.

If I am going with case 2, is Z4-ATX-200 is sufficient to support my entire system ?

Please help me out guys.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
The Z4-ATX-200 cannot handle 200+ watts continuously, this is due to the fact that you will be pulling too much power for the Z4. There have been incidents reported on the forums of certain components such as the adapter melting or the Z4 completely giving out, I believe this is due to going over the rated power draw. I personally own a Z4, and my only concern was the heat, and it continues to function because I kept it under 180 watts. However, I wouldn't know about using two Z4 units. Although, because you have both a CPU and GPU that are unlocked/overclocked, I would go with the X300 because it seems to be a simple solution, and it supports the amount of power your components require.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
The Z4-ATX-200 cannot handle 200+ watts continuously, this is due to the fact that you will be pulling too much power for the Z4. There have been incidents reported on the forums of certain components such as the adapter melting or the Z4 completely giving out, I believe this is due to going over the rated power draw. I personally own a Z4, and my only concern was the heat, and it continues to function because I kept it under 180 watts. However, I wouldn't know about using two Z4 units. Although, because you have both a CPU and GPU that are unlocked/overclocked, I would go with the X300 because it seems to be a simple solution, and it supports the amount of power your components require.
thanks for the reply but I am really curious if it is possible to power 2 pico psu say 150w each using a single power supply and if so is it possible to actually do it ? As I have seen people doing it with 2 bricks ?
I know that X300 is a good option but I am looking for a build as small as possible.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
You really can't use the Pico 160XT?

You wouldn't need two if you went with those. One is more than enough. The brick, if anything, would be your bottleneck. If you go with the Meanwell HEP-320 then you can run a 1070 off the pico. I'll update this post with my newest video soon, but as an FYI I've built many 1060 MINIs now with the 160XT.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
I don't think you need the add2psu. Just wire up power from the brick to both picopsu's, and add a jumper wire for the pico not plugged into the motherboard.

If you're worried the pico-psu can't handle the power then sure, you can do it like that. But as Josh mentioned, you likely won't need more than 1 for a 1060 setup.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
You really can't use the Pico 160XT?

You wouldn't need two if you went with those. One is more than enough. The brick, if anything, would be your bottleneck. If you go with the Meanwell HEP-320 then you can run a 1070 off the pico. I'll update this post with my newest video soon, but as an FYI I've built many 1060 MINIs now with the 160XT.

Hi Josh, SOrry for the late reply.
I saw the videos and if I could use a pico 160xt to power an i5 6500 + gtx 1060 + 1 fan + 1 SSD + 1 HDD ?
I read an article on reddit, stating a guy who could not power his rig containing gtx 1060 + i5 with 2 ssd. lemme see if I could get the link I saw a couple days ago.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I don't think you need the add2psu. Just wire up power from the brick to both picopsu's, and add a jumper wire for the pico not plugged into the motherboard.

If you're worried the pico-psu can't handle the power then sure, you can do it like that. But as Josh mentioned, you likely won't need more than 1 for a 1060 setup.

Hello Sean, I read your post on https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/simple-dual-pico-psu-set-up.552/page-5 about running a dual Z3-atx-200. I am really not comfortable with the wiring as I am a noobie. but I can replicate it if there is a video or instructions somehow available on the internet.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
BTW X300 is no more available on Aliexpress as the shop owner Frank has closed his shop.

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
Hey guys. I have ordered the 24 pin hdplex 160w and hoping it could power up a i5 6500 and a gtx 1060 using a 240w dell 19v adapter.

Will this work as i read a post somewhere in this forum where some1 made the exact setup using a 24 pin hdplex 160w.

Please reply me guy. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey guys. I have ordered the 24 pin hdplex 160w and hoping it could power up a i5 6500 and a gtx 1060 using a 240w dell 19v adapter.

Will this work as i read a post somewhere in this forum where some1 made the exact setup using a 24 pin hdplex 160w.

Please reply me guy. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Should work. Just make sure you wire it up correctly. Read the manual.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015

I'll be testing a similar combo in a few days, just with a 7600K. I'm not sure when the review will go live though.

Reactions: ricochet

garyroks

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 2, 2016
I'll be testing a similar combo in a few days, just with a 7600K. I'm not sure when the review will go live though.
that's good to hear... i will come up with my version of review in the end of Feb as a friend of mine is bring the parts from Virginia, USA in the 4th week of Feb.

Reactions: ricochet

iaomw

Trash Compacter
Feb 24, 2017

Agreed, Z4 doesn't work well. That's an old post, but I want comment here. :)

I think Z2 works much better that Z4 under 12V. Even though Z4 accepts 12V, Z4 is designed for 16V~24V. I saw 16V~24V on the PCB.

I have a system with i5 3470s+GTX 1066, when I was using it with SFX-L 400W PSU. The total power consume never exceed 142W.
We know SFX-L is big, so I turn to Z2, it easily exceed 150W. I think it consumed more more PSU and cable.

Under 12V, Z2 could run between 180W~190W for hours without any problem, sometimes it went up to 195W. But it never shut down.
But Z4 is already much hotter around 100W. After it reach 180W, it didn't grow up then shut down after 20?min.

I only have a 12V power brick, so I am not sure how Z4 works under 19V.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Agreed, Z4 doesn't work well. That's an old post, but I want comment here. :)

I think Z2 works much better that Z4 under 12V. Even though Z4 accepts 12V, Z4 is designed for 16V~24V. I saw 16V~24V on the PCB.

I have a system with i5 3470s+GTX 1066, when I was using it with SFX-L 400W PSU. The total power consume never exceed 142W.
We know SFX-L is big, so I turn to Z2, it easily exceed 150W. I think it consumed more more PSU and cable.

Under 12V, Z2 could run between 180W~190W for hours without any problem, sometimes it went up to 195W. But it never shut down.
But Z4 is already much hotter around 100W. After it reach 180W, it didn't grow up then shut down after 20?min.

I only have a 12V power brick, so I am not sure how Z4 works under 19V.

Yeah, the main issue I had with the Z4 was all of the heat dissipation. In my case, my 1060 gets pretty hot and it wouldn't help if I was using the Z4. I switched to the 160XT later, but that shut off because of power consumption exceeding 192 watts, so then I bought a 300 watt G-unique PSU, and that one has been working out fine for me.