Simple Dual Pico PSU Set Up

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
Recently I was setting up a SFF system in an S4 Mini, I wanted to run a GTX 960/970 but the HDPlex required to power those cards has not been in stock since January.

I decided to try and use a dual Pico 160-XT set up instead of endlessly waiting for HDPlex stock. There is a small device made specifically for this task called the Add2PSU. I tried it out and it worked well but added an extra connector and bulk to my system.

I then tried out the cable below. It is cheaper, sleeved, and offers some flexibility when it comes to placement.

Phobya 24 Pin 2-Way PSU Starting Cable

I have read that there can be issues with the PSU's having voltage fluctuations etc. I didn't experience any problems at idle, coming out of sleep/hibernate, or during heavy use/stress testing. I used this set up for 2 weeks with no issues.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
That is excellent. Will you be using a single Dell 330W AC adapter, a single HP/Voodoo PC 350W AC Adapter, or two 160W AC adapters?

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
You could also solder those connection directly to the Pico's if you want to save on the extra ATX connector, that is what I am planning.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
That is excellent. Will you be using a single Dell 330W AC adapter, a single HP/Voodoo PC 350W AC Adapter, or two 160W AC adapters?

I went with a 200W and 120W brick. I happened to have an extra 120 lying around. I am only running a 960 at the moment so that was enough juice. If I upgrade the gpu I will grab another 200W.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
I am in the same boat, I only have a 960 right now and I think I could maybe run off a single 240w but do plan on upgrading in the near future and sticking the highest end card I can support in general, I am going with 2x Dell 240w bricks because they seem to give the highest power for volume and weight especially when compared with the Dell 330w & HP 350w. I considered running something like 120-180w for the CPU but there is not a huge benefit in size/weight savings to not use another 240w but I am still considering my options. I plan on 3d printing a holder like the Asus ROG and using a Y connector to keep things on a single power jack.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
First I gotta brush up my Sketch Up skills... been a while since I've done anything remotely like this but it feels good to be back, the last time I did any modding was about 8 years ago.

I intend to get an S4 mini but might put that on hold until I move to Europe in a few months time, I am still debating if it will be easier for me to get it delivered to me here in Thailand.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
A very interesting topic. Something that bothers me, and it must have bothered others, is the size of the ATX plugs. Luckily the NanoPSU/PicoPSU use low-profile connectors, but that Y-adapter, damn.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Well it made sense 20 years ago, but nowadays it's almost trivial to convert various voltages on the motherboard, so it would be much better to only have 12V lines and the couple sense and control lines.

Of course smaller plug TYPES would also be good, but then I've often mentioned my annoyance and confusion at motherboard manufacturers putting a half dozen SATA ports on an mITX instead of just a couple miniSAS connectors and doing other such space saving things.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
I am in the same boat, I only have a 960 right now and I think I could maybe run off a single 240w but do plan on upgrading in the near future and sticking the highest end card I can support in general, I am going with 2x Dell 240w bricks because they seem to give the highest power for volume and weight especially when compared with the Dell 330w & HP 350w. I considered running something like 120-180w for the CPU but there is not a huge benefit in size/weight savings to not use another 240w but I am still considering my options. I plan on 3d printing a holder like the Asus ROG and using a Y connector to keep things on a single power jack.
--snip--
What is the part number for the Dell 240W AC adapter? Are you planning to use a Y connector on the AC and DC ends? I would love to see pictures of the AC adapter holder when you finish it and possibly the source file should you be so inclined.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
So you've got the "main" PSU powering the mobo (75W thru PCIe + chipsets + ~65-90WCPU) and the "secondary" powering the GPU (via a (dual?)Molex to PCIe 6+2-pin?). Which PSU powers the SSDs/HDDs?

I'd be interested in a schematic (so I don't bork it up if I end up wanting to do something similar!), as I'm sure others here would.

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
So you've got the "main" PSU powering the mobo (75W thru PCIe + chipsets + ~65-90WCPU) and the "secondary" powering the GPU (via a (dual?)Molex to PCIe 6+2-pin?). Which PSU powers the SSDs/HDDs?

I'd be interested in a schematic (so I don't bork it up if I end up wanting to do something similar!), as I'm sure others here would.

I have the Pico 160-XT with 200W power brick, powering the MOBO/CPU/SSD's. The second 160-XT which is used to power the GPU only, is using a 120W power brick.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
What is the part number for the Dell 240W AC adapter? Are you planning to use a Y connector on the AC and DC ends? I would love to see pictures of the AC adapter holder when you finish it and possibly the source file should you be so inclined.

The part number is PA-9E but there are reported problems by Alienware users with the ones made by Flextronics so be sure to get one made by Delta. I will be putting the Y connector on the AC end only which quite easy to find.

When I get around to making a holder will certainly post the source file online but don't count on it anytime soon, it will be more of a luxury item when I get time but I will be sure to share.

janas19

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 9, 2016
The part number is PA-9E but there are reported problems by Alienware users with the ones made by Flextronics so be sure to get one made by Delta. I will be putting the Y connector on the AC end only which quite easy to find.

PA-9E with a PicoPSU? PA-9E's are 19.5V output, PicoPSUs are 12V input. Not sure if I am understanding your setup correctly, but these don't match.

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
PA-9E with a PicoPSU? PA-9E's are 19.5V output, PicoPSUs are 12V input. Not sure if I am understanding your setup correctly, but these don't match.

Sorry I understand your confusion, I only mentioned this on the thread that lead to this one without thinking twice about... I am going to be using Pico Box Z3-ATX-200 which is 16-24v with a 240w peak in my build not the PicoPSU

However you could just as easily use HDPLEX as well.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
A very interesting topic. Something that bothers me, and it must have bothered others, is the size of the ATX plugs. Luckily the NanoPSU/PicoPSU use low-profile connectors, but that Y-adapter, damn.
One could always solder a couple of wires between the two PicoPSUs, no?

Reactions: michaelmitchell

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
This kinda stuff is super fun. Question for those of you who might have tried it or want to run a dual setup (I think its crazy other than for S&Gs), could you not just use the Pico for the motherboard, and then use one of these with a jumped 24 pin? You know, connect the power sense to the ground? Its not like the GPU will draw much while the system is off anyways, and it would save a HECKUVA lot of power cable mess!

I have no idea if it works with DC-DC PSUs, but I employed the same system concept years ago in a huge system I built with separate power supplies for GPUs. I would think might work!

Tek Everything

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 25, 2015
tekeverything.com
could you not just use the Pico for the motherboard, and then use one of these with a jumped 24 pin? You know, connect the power sense to the ground? Its not like the GPU will draw much while the system is off anyways, and it would save a HECKUVA lot of power cable mess!

You definitely could just jump it. I saw many people who used that method, I just wanted something that switched on and off.

Reactions: owliwar